DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold, Autofocus, and the Bubble

Nethack

Reactions
After quite a bit of experimentation, I've figured out some stuff with my Mavic, I thought I'd share.

First, flying in cold (20F) weather, my battery was fine, but the camera seemed not to have a flat focal plane. Edges was blurry. Figured out, that this was just an artifact of the cold (go figure).

However, flying with the bubble in place keeps the camera warm enough to perform correctly. I end up with the near-J.J.-Abramsesque lens flare, but at least the image is sharp across the entire frame.

Hope this helps others.

Reactions: erikgraham
thanks for the insight....so you are saying keeping the gimbal warmer helps this or keeping the cold air off of the lens is what did it?

Both. The autofocus issues are the camera, but it also keeps the gimbal from having the cold-weather glitches.

Not sure about the gimbal, but today at about -7°C, first few flights had great AF - last flight would not focus. Did not have the cover on. I'm going out for one last sunset flight in half an hour to see if the AF comes back. I hope so - the light is great out there!

I have found that if you give the camera and gimbal time to acclimate to the cold, they are fine This is true at least in the case my Mavic and a number of others who have reported that letting the Mavic sit in the cold or hiking for a while in the cold will eliminate video problems such as jitter/jello and some focus issues. There are also cases were there seem to be issues requiring a repair.

Reactions: jerryflah
I have found that if you give the camera and gimbal time to acclimate to the cold, they are fine This is true at least in the case my Mavic and a number of others who have reported that letting the Mavic sit in the cold or hiking for a while in the cold will eliminate video problems such as jitter/jello and some focus issues. There are also cases were there seem to be issues requiring a repair.

I had no issue with the first few flights at -7°C. It was later flights where it stopped working. Came home and waited for 2 batts to charge and to go get the nice magic hour light ... would not autofocus. I hope it is not damaged. I'll check it out in an hour or so.

I had no issue with the first few flights at -7°C. It was later flights where it stopped working. Came home and waited for 2 batts to charge and to go get the nice magic hour light ... would not autofocus. I hope it is not damaged. I'll check it out in an hour or so.

Yes, that sounds like something else going on. It didn't suddenly get way colder than -7 on the later flights, did it? The other thing to check for is condensation. You weren't in a humid environment, were you?

Yes, that sounds like something else going on. It didn't suddenly get way colder than -7 on the later flights, did it? The other thing to check for is condensation. You weren't in a humid environment, were you?

Pretty steady temp, warmest was -6.6°C, coolest was -8°C after I got home. Altitude was no more that 80 m from the takeoff point; air quite dry. No noticeable condensation. Once home I let everything warm up for a bit and test the focus (fired it all up on the kitchen table (sans motors). The cat runs away after 1 or 2 seconds - I guess that's the ultrasonic elements ...).

Focused on everything I pointed it at. Forgot to run it to infinity manually ... I'll pre-flight that next time - but weather is looking cold for the next few days and I do have to work too!

Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS