Commercial Use - Exploding

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by Cookedinlh, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Cookedinlh

Cookedinlh Well-Known Member

MavicPro, I predict, will provide some of the best opportunities for commercial work we've seen yet.

You'll need an SFOC to do anything commercial work . . especially next spring when new Canadian UAV commercial air regs may come into being. . . This may still be delayed due to lack of resources at Transport Canada. I suggest any newbies get up to speed on UAVs, CARS or Part 107 in the US and SFOCs soon, because commercial opportunities with MavicPro will expand exponentially in the next 6 months. I hope to have one next week with any luck.

Mavic can already do 90%+ of most commercial tasks (right out of the box . . er . . pocket) and do it faster, and as good or better than a lot of alternative equipment . . even the high-end $10,000-$50,000 machines that some commercial companies are investing in. Now even $10k for a machine is major overkill for all but the most specialized work. I say, buy a Mavic Pro and you can take half their business. . . with a phone call.

The big drone companies don't want to hear that I'm sure, but if they're smart they'll buy a few of them to take care of the more than half of the serious commercial market that just needs an aerial photo or video . . and they need it now . . virtually real-time. . . but they (commercial drone companies), don't need special cameras like FLIR, with all weather or stand-off zoom capabilities.

2. DefaultIT

DefaultIT Well-Known Member

Well you will have missed the golden era when only a handful of 333-exempted pilots could legally do commercial work; clients-a-plenty, then. These will certainly democratize the lower end of the industry, but around here you're not gonna get much professional business until you can pick up a Red, Arri, or Blackmagic...so the higher end is likely to remain pretty specialized

3. Cookedinlh

Just found out that the Canadian CARS legal wording will likely not be published before Jun 2017 with final comments integrated maybe 60-90 day later. We'll see then if there are any real roadblocks to using 1lb low cost UAVs for serious work. I suspect they will not have considered the use of Mavic sized or smaller machines. Right now, I am already working serious commercial uses using low cost machines like Phantom 4 and I expect by this time next year even better performance/cost value that MavicPro. Some companies are only now becoming aware there is an effective low cost alternative to the known commercial suppliers. A useful FLIR camera is already less than $300-400USD so I expect it will be only months away from being a swap out or additional sensor on a Mavic.

4. DefaultIT

DefaultIT Well-Known Member

Huh...I guess we better hope those companies don't just go buy their own :)

I will be pretty surprised if Mavic sees any FLIR cameras...much better shot at an Inspire 2 or whatever else they're cooking up for semi-pro use.

5. Cookedinlh

No reason you need an inspire to carry next generation FLIR . . look what has happened with the technology in just the past 6-8 months. Right now you already an extra 4-5 min airborne over an inspire