DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compact solution with HDMI out

Hello Kilrah,

Please forgive me for any questions that may be obvious to you. A bit new to this sort of thing but learn quickly.
From what I can see your device works great with no delay or glitching. Not sure what the Kernel thing was after the flashing of a LegacyRom above though. I really like your idea here for several reasons but will tell you and others what I worked at today. I found a recent, Dec 23rd 2016, YouTube post from a little guy in Germany using a wireless display receiver. Similar to another post here that used the google device wireless display receiver. Researched Google device several days ago but people were noting problems with the unit such as shutting down. Not really what you want when Mavic is a mile or two from home. German fella was using another wireless display receiver device. I decided to head for where I could find one today which was BestBuy. They didn't have the same one the german fella had but had the Goggle device and another called a ScreenBeam Mini2 by Actiontec which I bought. Yes, wires and another power supply besides the dominator hd2 battery. To bad they are not the same voltage to share the battery. I liked this solution as the mirroring was flawless between a Galaxy phone and a large screen tv on YouTube videos. Problem for me was I couldn't get the ScreenBeam to connect with the phone. I think it did once but then never again. We tried hooking it to computer monitor, goggles but nothing. Even tried another Galaxy s5. Regardless during this whole process I'm thinking the following. 1. My phone is tied up when in use flying the Mavic. 2. Still need a compact power source for the ScreenBeam receiver that is plugged in to my goggles. 3. Extra wires/connectors/adapters. 4. The cost of the screenbeam and adapters. These all led me to think the best course is a dedicated device like you did. The money I spent for the ScreenBeam and adapters offsets a device whichever one chosen. I still haven't ruled out the Wireless Display receiver but as noted above why. So if the GPD works smoothly that seems the best way to go. If not then perhaps with a WDR that works I'd clean up the wiring, add a similar to Fatshark 5v battery and be good to go. Anyway, hoping to get something working one way or another so I and others can take advantage of FPV with their quality goggles for a better experience. Thank you for sharing your talents. Perry

Reactions: superdave5050
I've followed the talk about screen sharing, but I've had so many bad experiences about reliability using this in the past that I wouldn't consider it an option for this use, at least not as "main" display, OK to share screen for someone else but to fly I want something I can trust more.

If you or someone else needs help setting up a GPD XD I can add a bit more detail about what to do to get it in my configuration.

I've followed the talk about screen sharing, but I've had so many bad experiences about reliability using this in the past that I wouldn't consider it an option for this use, at least not as "main" display, OK to share screen for someone else but to fly I want something I can trust more.

If you or someone else needs help setting up a GPD XD I can add a bit more detail about what to do to get it in my configuration.

Thank you for your help. Looks like what's needed, after studying this thread, to use the GPD is:
1. obviously a mini usb to usb cable
2. a DPI changer needed to change from 240 to 170
3. A Legacy Rom flash from somewhere to get full 1.8Ghz performance then governor change.
4. Kernel change??? Not clear on that.
5. Swipe the apps OSD
Perhaps some of the above doesn't need to happen as later replys superceded previous ones. Please correct my list for me and others if not correct. I did follow the Legacy Rom link to learn about that. Looks doable.

Again I like the compactness of GPD and it being a dedicated device. Would all the changes above be necessary if I chose the Nvidia Shield K1? It has a 2.2 Ghz quad core processor. I don't mind it being larger especially if it requires less of the above GPD list. My goal is to be able to use Dominator HD2 goggles but maybe at this point I should send them back not buy a GPD or Nvidia and wait for DJI goggles still not knowing a release date or cost.
Thanks for yours and others time. What a fun hobby and amazing drone.
Happy New Year

The Shield works out of the box, nothing to do. But it doesn't fit in the controller, needs a tablet adapter, and the whole thing becomes bulky... too much to my liking but others are obviously fine with that.

For the GPD, I don't have it with me right now but unless I'm missing something:
- Download the "Legacy ROM NULL" from here, 1.8GHz version and follow instructions to flash ("3- If you come from stock ROM, just copy update.img to internal o external memory and the update should come up, install it and wait till process finishes. It's everything automatical.")
- Install DJI GO 4 obviously
- Install SetCPU, set max speed to 1800MHz, set governor to "performance", check "set on boot"
- Install "Le DPI Changer", enable "Use Shell WM...", set to your preferred value, I like 170 but you may want to try different values, reboot needed to apply after every change
- Install "Screen Controller" and set it to start on boot and apply Landscape orientation for DJI GO 4
- Install "Sound About" and set it to output Media Audio to Speaker and start automatically

You're pretty much set.

Last edited:
Thank you Kilrah! I've opted for the Shield for various reasons although a smaller device would be better as you've pointed out. Thank you for your willingness to help me and others as well. Hopefully this thread will help others determine a FPV solution.
Best wishes to you in the coming new year!
Perry

Thank you. I had run across it before and thought pretty nifty. I'm assuming this is the best solution? How does a person order them up and what is the cost? Thank you again. Perry

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S