DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass calibration and Imu calib every flight?

Rcdude1990

Reactions
Hey guys quick question..
would you say to be ultra sure and safe... run a compass and IMU calibration every pre flight?
Yea it takes what 5 min out of your time to do it but better to be safe right?

Just asking
No probs with my mavic I love it!

That is not being safe. Calibrating every flight is likely to add problems to your otherwise problem free mavic. I have been flying my Mavic since November. I have calibrated once. I would recommend only calibrating after updates and when you fly in an area more than 100 miles from your previous calibration. Here is a good guide:

Compass Calibration Guide

Reactions: boone
Hey guys quick question..
would you say to be ultra sure and safe... run a compass and IMU calibration every pre flight?
Yea it takes what 5 min out of your time to do it but better to be safe right?

Just asking
No probs with my mavic I love it!

I would highly recommend not doing this. You should only calibrate your Mavic if you're encountering errors or the app specifically ask for a calibration. The Mavic comes calibrated and does not need additional calibration unless it asks for it. Calibrating incorrectly is far more likely to increase the chance of something going wrong than fixing it if not done correctly. You could calibrate the compass when near a magnetic source without knowing. Calibrating the IMU without first cooling the Mavic down can greatly increase boot times, etc.

I have calibrated the compass once since I received it (~100 flights) and have not had any issues keeping the same calibration. I will do another calibration when I travel later this month to another country, and again when I return home, however nothing more than that.

Reactions: boone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo