DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass error when looking down

toro1977

Reactions
Hi there,I saw this issue happening to another user, but it seems to be not fixed yet. I have no issues as long as I look forward, but as soon as i start looking forward (gimbal lookind down) the compass interference starts reising up to 300, 400 or more (just the compass numer 2). As soons as i look forward again, the interference dissappear and everything back to normal conditions.
Calibration has been made several times.Latest firmware installed.

Any help? thanks in advance!!

Hi there,I saw this issue happening to another user, but it seems to be not fixed yet. I have no issues as long as I look forward, but as soon as i start looking forward (gimbal lookind down) the compass interference starts reising up to 300, 400 or more (just the compass numer 2). As soons as i look forward again, the interference dissappear and everything back to normal conditions.
Calibration has been made several times.Latest firmware installed.

Any help? thanks in advance!!
Toro, This is happening because of the Top motor of the gimbal that is used for the Left / Right direction of the camera ---- The permanent
magnets area part of the gimbal motor -- What is happening is when you pan the camera down, is that the magnetic flux lines of the top gimbal motor are being redirected and as the camera continues to move down the magnetic interference will increase to a point, then decrease when the top motor of the gimbal is returned to the "neural" forward looking camera position, all this is because the #2 Compass is in the Nose of the Mavic above the gimbal motor --- This has to do the design and placement of the Mavic components
As long as it is not causing a compass error , I would not worry to much about it .
FlySafe-FlyFree

Reactions: conchman
Toro, This is happening because of the Top motor of the gimbal that is used for the Left / Right direction of the camera ---- The permanent
magnets area part of the gimbal motor -- What is happening is when you pan the camera down, is that the magnetic flux lines of the top gimbal motor are being redirected and as the camera continues to move down the magnetic interference will increase to a point, then decrease when the top motor of the gimbal is returned to the "neural" forward looking camera position, all this is because the #2 Compass is in the Nose of the Mavic above the gimbal motor --- This has to do the design and placement of the Mavic components
As long as it is not causing a compass error , I would not worry to much about it .
FlySafe-FlyFree

Thanks Arora.the thing is the Compass error exists.But it disappear as soon as I get the gimbal to the looking forward position. So i understand it is not fix fot this issue? :(

Your unit must have an actual hardware problem. Never seen anyone else with that issue.

A Compass will have interference from time to time . Unless it is giving a compass ERROR then it is dealing with it fine . The mavic uses two compasses anyway just in case .

Never seen anyone else with that issue.
Your unit must have an actual hardware problem
It's not really an actual hardware problem , This issue was discussed and noted in another forum where an op had noticed this
while in the Compass calibration screen of the GO4 app, how he happen to see that this was happening was by moving the gimbal by hand
and watching the green line and numeric values increases and decrease as he tilted the camera from the forward looking position to a 90
degree downward position ,, He started a Thread posted his findings thinking he had a hardware problem, many forum members repeated
his actions to sort of do a test and found that most of them concluded the same findings he did . None of the members every received
compass error warnings or to recalibrate (The same as Toro1977) B4 or after they confirmed that there compass values also changed
while doing the test --- I believe that when a proper IMU or Compass calibration is performed , that these Deviation values are taken into
account for the normal operation of the Mavic -- Like I said if it's not causing a Compass Error don't worry about it .

Hi
I have the same problem with my new mavic.. buy a month ago.. when first fly always have the warning compass error.. sometime appear compass switch error..latest firmware,i discover the cause yesterday...test in diferent location and calibrate compass before fly, below are a video.. Any idea to solve this??
Regards

I had this happen to my Mavic while looking down between -80 to -90 degrees and while looking up at 30 degrees. Move the gimbal out of those extremes and the compass error disappeared. I first tried a gimbal recalibration to no avail. I performed a compass calibration per Thunderdrones recommendation and the problem went away. Haven't had an issue since.

I had this happen to my Mavic while looking down between -80 to -90 degrees and while looking up at 30 degrees. Move the gimbal out of those extremes and the compass error disappeared. I first tried a gimbal recalibration to no avail. I performed a compass calibration per Thunderdrones recommendation and the problem went away. Haven't had an issue since.
I had an strong electromagnetic error if I try to calibrate the mavic facing down..
I think it's a hardware issue in my case..

I had an strong electromagnetic error if I try to calibrate the mavic facing down..
I think it's a hardware issue in my case..
Out of curiosity, where exactly did you attempt a recalibration? Are you certain that there were no sources of interference around you when you performed a recalibration? I did mine in an open field, pockets completely empty (no keys, cell phone, etc) with the controller about 20+ feet away.

Out of curiosity, where exactly did you attempt a recalibration? Are you certain that there were no sources of interference around you when you performed a recalibration? I did mine in an open field, pockets completely empty (no keys, cell phone, etc) with the controller about 20+ feet away.
I'm gonna try again in an open field.
Did you have the same difficult to calibrate that I'm having now?

I'm gonna try again in an open field.
Did you have the same difficult to calibrate that I'm having now?
I had no difficulties but I believe it's because I made sure that I was far away from anything that could cause interference like metal, cell phones, concrete and even the Mavic controller. I basically set the Mavic at about 20-25 feet away, flipped the switch between sport and normal mode multiple times until the yellow light came on on the back of the Mavic, set the controller down and then walked over and performed the calibration.

I have same, now last 4 fly.. update etc.. GPS error and lost RC connetion?? here is video
It was fly 900m then i get connection. ;) it start turning left and round 360?

Hi
I have the same problem with my new mavic.. buy a month ago.. when first fly always have the warning compass error.. sometime appear compass switch error..latest firmware,i discover the cause yesterday...test in diferent location and calibrate compass before fly, below are a video.. Any idea to solve this??
Regards

I have same, now last 4 fly.. update etc.. GPS error and lost RC connetion?? here is video
It was fly 900m then i get connection. ;) it start turning left and round 360?

Did you have any message while flying? like compass error?

Hi.
I have the same issue. I get compass error whenever I tilt the camera 90 degree down. It doesn't matter if the drone is flying or not. When the camera is pointed all the way down it's not possible to perform compass calibration due to strong magnetic interference error.

I contacted DJI Support and followed all directions the asked me including IMU calibration, Compass calibration, firmware downgrades and upgrades, but the problem persists. Now DJI asked me to take the Drone to a repair center, but unfortunately there is no DJI official repair center in the country I live in. Does anyone knows if there is another way to correct this problem other than sending the drone to repair center?

Tks.

Hi.
I have the same issue. I get compass error whenever I tilt the camera 90 degree down. It doesn't matter if the drone is flying or not. When the camera is pointed all the way down it's not possible to perform compass calibration due to strong magnetic interference error.

I contacted DJI Support and followed all directions the asked me including IMU calibration, Compass calibration, firmware downgrades and upgrades, but the problem persists. Now DJI asked me to take the Drone to a repair center, but unfortunately there is no DJI official repair center in the country I live in. Does anyone knows if there is another way to correct this problem other than sending the drone to repair center?

Tks.
I send my Mavic to Holland? One week and they send new Mavic to me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll