DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Redundancy Error

Mavicsailor

Reactions
I saw the above message very soon after powering on the Mavic. Quickly went away. Occurred before starting props. Never appeared again, but I recalibrate the compass for preventative reasons and had no problems after several flights.
I normally don't calibrate the compass since I take off at the same location (wide open field)

DJI support says this is common and only a problem if 3 compass calibrations do not resolve this issue. In my case it came and went quickly. I assume if the two compasses don't agree within a certain spec, it generates this error. I frequenty monitor the sensors to check on the redundancy of each sensor displayed, and they've always been very close.

Anyone else see this compass error come and go with no further issues?

Since the props have not been started yet, are these errors logged? I didn't see it in Healthy Drones.

Thanks!

The errors should be logged in the drone's .dat file - I could take a look if you'd like!

How to retrieve a .DAT

That's very kind of you! I actually looked at the CSV file generated from the DAT file out of curiosity. The comment section on the far right did not show this specific Compass Redundacy error. Could it be somewhere else?

Very interesting file to checkout with amazing info, but time consuming.

Last edited:
@Mavicsailor I assume you're talking about the eventLog column in the .csv when you refer to the "comment section ". This is the eventLog stream that DatCon extracts from the .DAT. Are you using CsvView version 1.0.4?

@Mavicsailor I assume you're talking about the eventLog column in the .csv when you refer to the "comment section ". This is the eventLog stream that DatCon extracts from the .DAT. Are you using CsvView version 1.0.4?

Its the latest version of the Csview and yes this is the event log

Last edited:
Below are the results of a search for the word "Compass" through the entire CVS log. I believe the "Compass Stuck" on and off occurred at the same time as the Compass Redundancy error appeared in the Go App.

Never happened again. Could have been a power on error message when I was moving the mavic to its takeoff location. I believe I was hand moving it right after power on when this occurred.

A side question for you log file experts....what do you normally see for the IMU temperature once warmed up? I'm seeing it stabilize at about 65c which seems pretty warm. The outside temp is about 40f when flying. It's goes up and down just a few tenths of a degree around 65c, which appears to be regulated possibly by the internal fan.

Attachments

• Compass error.JPG
    Compass error.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Below are the results of a search for the word "Compass" through the entire CVS log. I believe the "Compass Stuck" on and off occurred at the same time as the Compass Redundancy error appeared in the Go App.

Never happened again. Could have been a power on error message when I was moving the mavic to its takeoff location. I believe I was hand moving it right after power on when this occurred.

A side question for you log file experts....what do you normally see for the IMU temperature once warmed up? I'm seeing it stabilize at about 65c which seems pretty warm. The outside temp is about 40f when flying. It's goes up and down just a few tenths of a degree around 65c, which appears to be regulated possibly by the internal fan.
65c is the normal temp for the IMU.

Reactions: Mavicsailor
...... Could have been a power on error message when I was moving the mavic to its takeoff location. I believe I was hand moving it right after power on when this occurred.
You could look at the accelerometer and gyro data to get an idea if the AC was being carried/moved to the take off position.

Thanks for the suggestions. You data miners are incredibly helpful, and no doubt have spend many hours going over these log files learning and helping others. True champions for our hobby.

I would encourage the geek in all of us to take the time to learn how to view at least the basic information contained in these logs. Much can be learned after something unfortunate happens, but this can also be used proactively to monitor potential problems before they occur. Many issues start as intermittent occurrences that could be identified in these logs. Similar to Healthy Drones (very nice GUI), but much more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brianna
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys