DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass1 and 2

Sounds like we have the same problem. I'll have to eventually send it in as well.

Issue is that compass calibration never even completes for me. Kermit, does compass calibration pass for you? You mentioned trying 20-30 times, has it always resulted in fast red blinking?
I have never once successfully calibrated the compass. Its brand new out of box and hasn't even left the ground. During the calibration procedure it passes the horizontal test (green light) but never passes the vertical one (flashing red). My assumption is that compass 1 has to do with the horizontal 360 and compass 2 has to with the vertical one? Just a guess?

I have never once successfully calibrated the compass. Its brand new out of box and hasn't even left the ground. During the calibration procedure it passes the horizontal test (green light) but never passes the vertical one (flashing red). My assumption is that compass 1 has to do with the horizontal 360 and compass 2 has to with the vertical one? Just a guess?
The compass dance is one procedure; i.e., it's not two separate procedures. The failure indication is saying the whole dance resulted in failure, not just the vertical twirl.

The purpose of the compass calibration is to measure, and correct for, magnetic distortions caused by the AC itself. This requires that each of the X, Y, and Z magnetometers be placed in several different orientations relative to a constant magnetic field, in this case the geomagnetic field is used. The measured values of the X, Y, and Z magnetometers in each orientation can then be used to build a table that compensates for the onboard distortions. Ideally, the AC should be "tumbled" such that every possible X,Y,Z orientation occurs. But, the 2 step compass dance is good enough, and it's easy to explain.

I once performed an experiment with my P3 where the dance was done upside down; first step the P3 was upside down, second step P3 was pointed down. Flew fine.

Reactions: Logger
Very interesting! Did not know this. Sorry for the late response. I hope this all gets sorted out once my drone gets serviced.

Keep us updated when you get it back! I'd be interested to hear if it's fixed so I can follow suit :)

Drone was sent in, very quick turn around time, and came back fixed at no charge. They said they replaced the compass board, but it came back with all the stickers on it, so i wondered if they just swapped the whole drone.

Anyways, still have to do the first flight, but the app says GO! Thanks for everyones feedback, hopefully no issues in the future.

Reactions: mmmoishi
Dummy move on my part. Thanks! Yes its the same drone.

First flight yesterday was a success.

Attachments

• DJI_0057.JPG
    DJI_0057.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: mikeroycollins
Been following this as my bird started getting compass switching after the rev .03 firmware. Contacted DJI support by email on Monday, and today got my RMA label so will be shipping to .NL centre in the morning
Will post progress and outcome here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost