DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Condensation in the lens

ratacit

Reactions
I have a small issue with my Mavic.

Recently every time I take it out (and the fan starts kicking in) it gets a spot of condensation right in the middle of the lens.

It does take a while until is gone and it bothers me.

I'll go to the shop and talk to them. Anyway anyone else having this issue? Temperature was 20 degree Celsius and humidity was 50%. Here are some photos.

It was rather humid the past 2 weeks. That is the first time I actually notices. I do not fly it every day so not so many chances to check.

I went to the shop and allegedly is not a common issue. I can opt to book and appointment and send the Mavic in. The appointment can be done in about 4 days. It will take about to week to have it checked and fixed. Well... I'll keep you guys updated if there is an interest.

Any opinions, tips, advise is highly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20170120_075751detail.jpg
    20170120_075751detail.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 227
  • Screenshot_20170120-075735.png
    Screenshot_20170120-075735.png
    1 MB · Views: 197
  • DJI_0003.JPG
    DJI_0003.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 187
Reactions: Yokomizo
Set the drone, especially the gimbal end, in a bowl of dry rice for a day. Take care to remove all grains from the vents and cracks when you're done.

I do plan to put it in my camera dry box. Will see.

If is not going away then repair centre is...

It is interesting that only when I start it and the fan kicks in it happens.

This morning I'm having the same issue... as soon as I take the Mavic outside the lense condensates on the inside.. the Mavic has always been stored in a warm dry room so the moisture must have got in while flying?

It's 10c outside clear and sunny with a light breeze. As soon as I take it outside it fogs up. Iv sat the Mavic down with some silica packs around the camera but is this going to continue to be an issue? It's beautiful outside and I wanna be flying haha

Attachments

• IMG_5990.JPG
    IMG_5990.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5991.JPG
    IMG_5991.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5997.JPG
    IMG_5997.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
Reactions: Yokomizo
This morning I'm having the same issue... as soon as I take the Mavic outside the lense condensates on the inside.. the Mavic has always been stored in a warm dry room so the moisture must have got in while flying?

It's 10c outside clear and sunny with a light breeze. As soon as I take it outside it fogs up. Iv sat the Mavic down with some silica packs around the camera but is this going to continue to be an issue? It's beautiful outside and I wanna be flying haha

I have just had exactly the same problem. Same as you, about 10C outside this morning here in Zhongshan China. Took the drone up and noticed everything was foggy. Brought the drone down, noticed condensation at the centre of the lens. Cleaned it, but still had condensation, definitely on the inside of the lens. I am a professional in the product development field. This is a genuine problem. This kind of unit should be completely sealed. I guess I will have to return the unit. Any suggestions?

I live in a very humid costal environment and have flown my Mavic from room temperature right into temps in the 20s and never experienced the moisture issues being reported. I've also flown it in much higher temps, again without any issues.

I'm always sorry to hear about other's misfortune with their Mavs that I have never experienced. My heart goes out to you folks having this problem.

I believe the camera is adequately sealed as far as I can see. I have flown my Mavic in foggy conditions in which the camera has returned with droplets of water on it on the outside of the lens and aircraft body, which is quickly cleared up simply by wiping it with the proper cloth. I make a point of quickly removing all moisture, and then running the Mavic so it's fan can further get rid of unwanted moisture in it workings.

I'd recommend a quick direct contact with DJI in order to hear it directly from the horses mouth about what the problem could be, if any. I have no doubts you are experiencing the difficulty that you are, and I also have no doubt that the company would welcome hearing about this problem and helping you find a solution to this dilemma.

I wish everyone well and good luck in finding a resolution to this moisture problem. I'm sure it is frustrating and annoying to have happen when you are piloting such a wonderful machine. However, I am certain an answer is out there just waiting to be found. Good luck.

Reactions: Chilla1142
Anybody turned this into DJI yet? I'm having the same issue.

Last edited:
I have a small issue with my Mavic.

Recently every time I take it out (and the fan starts kicking in) it gets a spot of condensation right in the middle of the lens.

It does take a while until is gone and it bothers me.

I'll go to the shop and talk to them. Anyway anyone else having this issue? Temperature was 20 degree Celsius and humidity was 50%. Here are some photos.

It was rather humid the past 2 weeks. That is the first time I actually notices. I do not fly it every day so not so many chances to check.

I went to the shop and allegedly is not a common issue. I can opt to book and appointment and send the Mavic in. The appointment can be done in about 4 days. It will take about to week to have it checked and fixed. Well... I'll keep you guys updated if there is an interest.

Any opinions, tips, advise is highly appreciated.

Did you fixed your problem? Same problem here in the Brazilian Summer

Hey guys it happened to me this morning and I believe I have fixed the issue. Was really annoying me then I thought what if I put the lens cover back on? I did that and it seems to plumb the heated air from the fan around the lens and out of a little side hole and keeps the lens un condensated.
Weather was about 10 degrees C and about 86 percent humidity it did it every flight this morning and then I fixed it.

Hi, it's happening to me too, 15~20oC and 80%+ humidity. The condensation starts right after take off, I think the cold prop wash makes the problem worse. I also noticed that keeping the gimbal cover on protects the lens agaist condensation, but this would cause another issues (heating, flare, etc).

Did anyone try with an UV filter on? it should work and is better than the gimbal protection.

What should I do to fix this definitely (returning is not an option for me, bought overseas from unauthorized seller)? I managed to remove the camera module. The lens is glued to the housing, dont think it's the source of the moisture inside the module. The camera PCB otherwise has some sort of sealing that might be leaking. Thought about drying it and seal it again with liquid insulating tape, what you think?

Hi. Just a follow up: I decided to take it to the repair shop since it is under warranty. I got the camera unit replaced on it. The reason given for the issues is that the seal of the camera was not very tight. I did not have a chance to try it. The service was flawless.

I had the same issue when visiting Singapore. I keep the room as cold as the aircon will go but when stepping outside the drone (and DSLR) fog up. I ended up keeping the drone and dslr in the hard shell case sitting on the balcony during my stay. It was waterproof so no worries. No more fogging issues as the temperature was stable.

@Skrems I was flying it in Hong Kong. What really bothered me was that every time it took off it would fog. I would land it then it went away. Took off and... foggy again. If I kept flying for let's say 10min +/- then it would finally go away. However, 10 mins out of 20 per flight not being able to properly shoot not did not seem a good option. I'll test and report back. It does appear that there are issues with the seals so it's not just physics... Cheers

Reactions: Skrems
I've had problem once before taking off early morning at higher altitude than normal, about 8-10degrees outside. Think it was to do with air temp dropping - sudden change from inside, and climbing a bit temp probably drops more. Have had DSLR fog up in same condition.
Landed, left mavic on table in cool morning sun until fog cleared, took off again and no problems.
Since then if flying in cold weather, coming directly out of warm house, if leave to acclimatize for 5min have never had further issues.
Never had problem when hiking in cold weather and flying, guess mavic already cold in the bag

Same issue here in Queensland, Australia.
Fogging up the lens every time I take off - at least seems I get clear vision on the App until it get to about 50' and then fogged over so bad, that I can't see anything at all on the monitor. Land it, wait a couple of minutes then take off again and it's all good for the rest of the flight.
Average flights in 20-25 degrees C and around 50% humidity - only started to notice this problem once I began to travel by air with it.
Never been out in the rain, over water or very humid conditions, always kept stored dry with Silica Gel packets around the camera, so I am at a loss to understand why (unless the pressure drop on planes has caused it - the reason I bought a Mavic was so I could travel on planes to different work sites where I use it - couldn't trust Baggage Handlers with my Yuneec !)
Tried leaving it out in warm, open air for 10 - 20 minutes before flying but still fogging up as soon as I get a little height - can be overcome by landing and waiting a little, but still damned annoying - my Yuneec has never had this issue in the last two years of regular use. DJI must be aware of the problem as it seems many people are affected ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya