DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Condensation inside lens ?

Robin

Reactions
Just watched a youtube review.

Said he had condensation on inside of lens, seems odd, never had that with any other drone.

Also odd that when he talks about this in the "Review" and I use that word loosely ..... he didn't show the gopro flying in the same location ....

He was leaning GoPro which there is no way I would go that way. It's just unstable. No thanks

Most biased review I have seen to date. Supposedly a professional who clearly had no idea about what he was using!

Camera settings aren't the only thing he didn't know how to work. He states that Karma has orbit mode and Mavic can do that just not automatically. That statement shows he didn't dig very deep into what Mavic can do...

There is note about condensation in review below as well (09:05 min)

There is another video on YouTube that actually shows condensation within the lens. I have actually been having trouble with my drone with that exact issue. Also the vision sensor keeps giving me errors from time to time.

I bought the Mavic Pro in Zhongshan China 4 weeks ago. It is excellent. This morning was a particularly cold morning for Zhongshan, about 10C. I took the drone up and wondered why everything looked foggy. I brought the drone down and noticed condensation on the lens. I wiped the outside of the lens and the condensation was still visible right at the centre of the lens on the inside. I am a 52 year-old highly experienced engineer in the product development field; so as a professional in that field I can confirm that this really is an issue. I need to know how to fix the problem. If there is no fix, I will take the unit back to the shop and ask them to replace it. Hope someone can help.

If you had the Mavic inside where it was warm, and immediately took it outside, that's why condensation formed. In future, leave it in a cold place, in the bag or your padded case of choice (or wrapped in a towel) so that it will change temperature slowly (the bag contains foam padding, and will insulate it, allowing a less abrupt change). May take an hour or two, depending on how warm it was inside.

To fix it, you'll want a large plastic ziplock bag and some Silica gel packs (or loose silica gel granules, but wrap the mavic in paper towel first).

Don't put it anywhere too warm, and leave it for at least a day (preferably two). Take it out, and remember not to subject it to any drastic temperature changes.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
If you had the Mavic inside where it was warm, and immediately took it outside, that's why condensation formed. In future, leave it in a cold place, in the bag or your padded case of choice (or wrapped in a towel) so that it will change temperature slowly (the bag contains foam padding, and will insulate it, allowing a less abrupt change). May take an hour or two, depending on how warm it was inside.

To fix it, you'll want a large plastic ziplock bag and some Silica gel packs (or loose silica gel granules, but wrap the mavic in paper towel first).

Don't put it anywhere too warm, and leave it for at least a day (preferably two). Take it out, and remember not to subject it to any drastic temperature changes.
Thank you for the response. I could understand this if the unit is not fully sealed, but if it is sealed, and has dry air inside, why then would it condensate? I assume therefore that the unit is not properly sealed. Sealed or otherwise: The advice about acclimatization is good. I will make sure I keep the unit stored outside the main house always, but in a sealed bag with silica packs. That way it is dry, but always at the outside temperature. I can see the logic in that. Good idea.

It may be unintentionally unsealed - the camera should be a sealed unit as far as I'm aware, but shipping or a defect in manufacturing may have resulted in it not being correctly sealed.

It may also be sealed but through a manufacturing error still contain a tiny amount of moisture. Regardless, I'd contact DJI and ask if it's supposed to be a sealed unit. If the answer is yes, return it.

Remember that glass will contract and expand at a different rate to plastic and metal, such that if it is exposed to a drastic change in temperature it can still cause a seal to be breached (even momentarily).

It may be unintentionally unsealed - the camera should be a sealed unit as far as I'm aware, but shipping or a defect in manufacturing may have resulted in it not being correctly sealed.

It may also be sealed but through a manufacturing error still contain a tiny amount of moisture. Regardless, I'd contact DJI and ask if it's supposed to be a sealed unit. If the answer is yes, return it.

Remember that glass will contract and expand at a different rate to plastic and metal, such that if it is exposed to a drastic change in temperature it can still cause a seal to be breached (even momentarily).

A camera with moving parts (such as the roll compensation and portrait mode) is probably not airtight so moist air could get in and condense. I don't know that to be fact - call it a hunch.

I have been having this problem with fog on the inside of the lens. I just took the mavic to the China Shenzhen repair centre and they said it's a known manufacturing fault. They will replace the mavic at no cost here in China. So maybe the best thing is just to take it back to DJI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke