DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused .... batteries discharge

puravidastyles

Reactions
Hi all, before i start sorry for being such a novice ..

But i am a little confused about the need to discharge batteries.

i know i should not leave charged batteries in the hub... but if you set the batteries to discharge after 5 days or whatever... and you forget to recharge them..wont you find empty batteries when you go to fly??

or say you you are traveling somewhere on the day of discharge only to find dead batteries when you want to fly

Again sorry for being a novice just cant get my head a round it.. spoke to dji..who where little help

Thank all

Reactions: E7FYN
Hi all, before i start sorry for being such a novice ..

But i am a little confused about the need to discharge batteries.

i know i should not leave charged batteries in the hub... but if you set the batteries to discharge after 5 days or whatever... and you forget to recharge them..wont you find empty batteries when you go to fly??

or say you you are traveling somewhere on the day of discharge only to find dead batteries when you want to fly

Again sorry for being a novice just cant get my head a round it.. spoke to dji..who where little help

Thank all
Change the # days for the discharge

wont you find empty batteries when you go to fly?
They will only discharge down to 65%. If the discharge process has started and/or completed, you should fully charge your batteries before flying the next time.

Reactions: puravidastyles
The reason is that LiPO batteries are healthier if partially discharged so it happens automatically. Just plan to top up before you fly and set the cycle to 10 days if you fly often !

Flying a Mavic Pro with an Acer Iconia One 7" tablet running latest Android OS

Reactions: puravidastyles
but if you set the batteries to discharge after 5 days or whatever... and you forget to recharge them..wont you find empty batteries when you go to fly??
Sure, but just don't forget to recharge them, and remember to check their status a sufficient amount of time in advance to charge them when you plan to go fly...

Also remember that pressing the button on the battery to check the charge level resets the idle discharge timer to zero. So if set to 5 days and you press the button after 4 days it will be another 5 days before they start to discharge. :)

It's not a good idea to leave lithium batteries at 100% charge all the time, and multi-cell batteries like the DJI Mavic Pro batteries especially should not be continually topped off by leaving them on a charger. Overnight or next day, fine. All week, probably not best for the overall battery health. Take them off the charger at 100%. If you don't use them for a week, let the Intelligent Flight Battery do its thing and auto-discharge to a safer medium level.

Chemistry.
  • Lithium batteries don't have a "memory" that gets conditioned by being full or low, unlike the old NiMH or NiCD battery chemistries. They will be just as chargeable or dischargeable throughout the lifespan of the batteries.
  • That said, if you let a lithium battery drop too low, it will lose its ability to be recharged; the Mavic batteries have internal controllers that thankfully avoid that scenario for the most part.
  • Also, Lithium tends to degrade over a 3~5 year timespan, so the batteries' max capacity will slowly drop no matter how you use or spare your batteries.
  • Lastly, the enemy to lithium batteries is extreme temperatures because the voltage actually fluctuates with the temperature. If the battery is cold, the voltage drops and appears to be more drained. If the battery is hot, the voltage rises. If the voltage of an individual cell exceeds 4.2VDC, the cell will start to puff and eventually burst into flames.
This last point is the exact reason that airlines are so scared of lithium batteries right now. See the 7E7 Dreamliner fires and the UPS Flight 6 crash for more. If you don't plan to fly within a few days, I would recommend you don't let lithium batteries sit on the shelf any higher than 95%, personally.

Leaving your charged batteries on the charging hub will not harm them, as once the battery is at 100% and shuts off the hub will not supply any more power to it unless you either remove and reinstall, or press the battery check button.

Leaving your charged batteries on the charging hub will not harm them, as once the battery is at 100% and shuts off the hub will not supply any more power to it unless you either remove and reinstall, or press the battery check button.

Thank you THAT Part was good to know!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Batteries gain a little power when temp increases and lose a bit when colder . When Lipo batteries get over 4.2v per cell they get dangerous , tend to puff and in extreme cases rupture violently . If a Lipo is left fully charged and the ambient temp rises then there is no place for the extra volts to go hence puffing . If left at a reduced voltage then the cells tend to balance out each other as some voltage from one cell will migrate to a lower charged cell . The voltage has a safe place to go .

Remember also the intelligent batteries are like any intelligent battery circuit in laptops,smart phones etc . The circuit not only controls the charge rate and final charge voltage , it also only lets it discharge to a set safe level . When it says it is at 0% there is still voltage left in the cell . Recalibrations are required at intervals so that the intelligent circuit can accurately predict the actual percentage of useable power .

Reactions: ksull72487
Batteries gain a little power when temp increases and lose a bit when colder . When Lipo batteries get over 4.2v per cell they get dangerous , tend to puff and in extreme cases rupture violently . If a Lipo is left fully charged and the ambient temp rises then there is no place for the extra volts to go hence puffing . If left at a reduced voltage then the cells tend to balance out each other as some voltage from one cell will migrate to a lower charged cell . The voltage has a safe place to go .

Remember also the intelligent batteries are like any intelligent battery circuit in laptops,smart phones etc . The circuit not only controls the charge rate and final charge voltage , it also only lets it discharge to a set safe level . When it says it is at 0% there is still voltage left in the cell . Recalibrations are required at intervals so that the intelligent circuit can accurately predict the actual percentage of useable power .

Dead on response. It also wouldn't hurt to drain them around 10% or lower every so often. It forces the recalibration. I'd also charge your batteries at room temp. Don't drain one down and heat it up then plug it in. Give it a few. If you can store your batteries at or around 50% unless your planning to use it soon. You can drain them just plugging it in and turning the Mavic on. The batteries self drain to 65% after 10 days. That can be adjusted.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie