DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused with Video/Pic Location(s)

brandonis

Reactions
When I'm flying, I often get interference and the display + recorded video on my device, that's connected to the remote, gets jumpy, skips, pixelated, noise, etc.

Is the Mavic supposed to simultaneously be recording to the onboard memory card? ...and remote-to-display interference shouldn't affect the video recording to the Mavic's onboard card? ...or is what I see on the display exactly what is to be on the Mavic's memory card?

Also, after selecting JPG+RAW, I get nothing to my device. The video files show up, but no photos, regardless whether I snap pictures alone or snap pictures while recording. I've checked the cached folder but they still don't show up. I've since changed it back to JPG only and still nothing. I see the image captured on my screen with the shutter sound when I hit the shutter button but they don't transfer to my device. I've taken pictures and kept flying for 10-15 minutes before shutting off, still nothing.

Not sure what I'm missing. Anything would be helpful.

Mavic is at current firmware.
Using Android device with 7.1.1

Thanks.

Sounds like you need to start using an app killer right before you get ready to connect to the rc. 360 Security is what I use. To get to what's stored on the device go into the gallery and it should come right up. You can also go through the google photo's, just click on it and the google garbage comes up, hit your back arrow and it takes you into the menu, the DJI recorded videos will be there along with the photos. Some versions also have a drop down menu on the upper left, then you can select from there. These are all low res copies and the full res hard copies are stored on the sd card that you put in the mavic. Just remove it and off load... :)

All of the recording done "on board" the Mavic (onto the microSD card inside the Mavic itself) is controlled through the app on your phone/tablet or the controller buttons itself. It is super easy to forget to start recording, and I don't like the DJI Go 4 app's record button appearance, as it is easy to mistake "hey, you can tap this to start recording" for "hey, the Mavic is currently recording". Also, if you tap the "take a picture" button on the controller, you need to remember to start recording video again on your own. It is not automatic.

There is a separate copy of the video feed that is cached onto your phone/tablet while you fly, up to a specified cache size limit. This is really only useful for instant replay or drone-search-and-rescue missions; the quality is far less than the on board recording. If you forgot to start the on board recording, though, this is your cleanest copy of the video received during flight. None of the still images that you took with the "take a picture" button will be sent down to your phone/tablet; you will have to load the microSD card to your computer or other microSD-capable device after the flight to grab those.

Lastly, some people run a separate app on their phone/tablet which can capture the appearance of the phone/tablet screen, including all the heads-up display statistics showing the distance and direction and reception quality. If you run this kind of tool at the same time as your Mavic controlling app, you are trying to record two whole video streams at the same time, so be sure you have a very fast memory card on your phone/tablet device. Glitches could appear in either of these recordings in this case, but should not affect any of the on board recordings... assuming you remembered to start the on board recordings.

Sounds like you need to start using an app killer right before you get ready to connect to the rc. 360 Security is what I use. To get to what's stored on the device go into the gallery and it should come right up. You can also go through the google photo's, just click on it and the google garbage comes up, hit your back arrow and it takes you into the menu, the DJI recorded videos will be there along with the photos. Some versions also have a drop down menu on the upper left, then you can select from there. These are all low res copies and the full res hard copies are stored on the sd card that you put in the mavic. Just remove it and off load... :)
Thank you - I did check the folders in Google Photos but they don't show up anymore. I do have the photos from my first flights -- not sure if it started happening after the latest firmware or after I changed to JPG+RAW.

All of the recording done "on board" the Mavic (onto the microSD card inside the Mavic itself) is controlled through the app on your phone/tablet or the controller buttons itself. It is super easy to forget to start recording, and I don't like the DJI Go 4 app's record button appearance, as it is easy to mistake "hey, you can tap this to start recording" for "hey, the Mavic is currently recording". Also, if you tap the "take a picture" button on the controller, you need to remember to start recording video again on your own. It is not automatic.

There is a separate copy of the video feed that is cached onto your phone/tablet while you fly, up to a specified cache size limit. This is really only useful for instant replay or drone-search-and-rescue missions; the quality is far less than the on board recording. If you forgot to start the on board recording, though, this is your cleanest copy of the video received during flight. None of the still images that you took with the "take a picture" button will be sent down to your phone/tablet; you will have to load the microSD card to your computer or other microSD-capable device after the flight to grab those.

Lastly, some people run a separate app on their phone/tablet which can capture the appearance of the phone/tablet screen, including all the heads-up display statistics showing the distance and direction and reception quality. If you run this kind of tool at the same time as your Mavic controlling app, you are trying to record two whole video streams at the same time, so be sure you have a very fast memory card on your phone/tablet device. Glitches could appear in either of these recordings in this case, but should not affect any of the on board recordings... assuming you remembered to start the on board recordings.

Got it, just find it weird that the photos don't save on the phone anymore. I have some from my first flights. Thanks for clearing up how the video feed works.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929