DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Considering the mavic, few questions

beginner

Reactions
Weighing up options between off the shelf camera quads and trying to figure out what will work for me. I'm looking for something to build skills in taking aerial footage which is something I currently have no experience with. I understand the mavic is supposed to be easy to fly which is fine, but sometimes easy can make things more difficult.

My first question is the batteries - from what I gather they're restricted to using just the supplied charger and that the hub will only go as far as sequential charging.. So am I correct to assume each pack will do a max of 1C and I'll basically need multiple chargers to do multiple packs simultaneously. This is really just a matter or pricing for me and right now I have it at AUD 149 + 79 per pack so just want to confirm I have that correct.

Secondly is the no fly zone stuff - DJI has determined for us where we are allowed to fly and programmed that into the software? Is this just a US thing? How accurate are they with these? Is 400ft AGL forever fixed? Just out of interest really, no intention of breaking the rules but if for example a car manufacturer limited the speed I'd have to give some thought to that before purchasing.

Last of all are there any other 'smart' features I should be aware of that could be seen as restrictive regardless of how beneficial they might be? Can I fly the thing completely manually?

Thanks!

I'll basically need multiple chargers to do multiple packs simultaneously
For now -- until DJI or a 3rd party releases a charger that can charge batteries simultaneously.

is the no fly zone stuff - DJI has determined for us where we are allowed to fly and programmed that into the software? Is this just a US thing?
No. See DJI's no fly zones here.

Is 400ft AGL forever fixed?
No. The Mavic can fly up to 500 meters over the takeoff point. It's not able to determine the AGL altitude.

Can I fly the thing completely manually?
There is no true manual mode -- meaning it'll hover when you let go of the sticks instead of dropping like a rock from the sky. DJI got rid of the full manual mode when they released the Phantom 3.

Thanks very helpful

No. The Mavic can fly up to 500 meters over the takeoff point. It's not able to determine the AGL altitude.

What happens if it exceeds the 500m? Auto descent?

There is no true manual mode -- meaning it'll hover when you let go of the sticks instead of dropping like a rock from the sky. DJI got rid of the full manual mode when they released the Phantom 3.

Is this still under GPS control or just self leveling? Are you able to point me to info on flight modes, I've seen how smart it can be but I'd like to know how much control I can take back if / when it starts acting up.

What happens if it exceeds the 500m? Auto descent?
It's not possible to exceed 500m. It'll stop ascending.

Is this still under GPS control or just self leveling?
The Mavic is always under GPS control -- unless it auto switches to ATTI mode. That can happen when it detects a compass error (for example).

Are you able to point me to info on flight modes, I've seen how smart it can be but I'd like to know how much control I can take back if / when it starts acting up.
You can check out the flight modes here.

It's not possible to exceed 500m. It'll stop ascending.

Just for arguments sake if our local wedge tailed eagles decided to pick it up and ditch from 2000m, would I have any control?

The Mavic is always under GPS control -- unless it auto switches to ATTI mode. That can happen when it detects a compass error (for example)

Slight concerns but can probably live with the auto switch after a bit of stress testing

Just for arguments sake if our local wedge tailed eagles decided to pick it up and ditch from 2000m, would I have any control?
You're going to have to try that one out and see what happens. There are too many possible outcomes.

Reactions: Romi

They would likely break something. However, if the craft were dropped from a point above the allowable flight envelope, I predict without any evidence that the control system would right itself to level flight and then descend until it reached the allowed 500m ATO. If enough battery power remained, it would pause there for further commands.

No worries thanks guys. 500m is mighty high and I don't expect to see much more than 1/10 of that with this craft, will be sure to report results if I ever get into it with that bird though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore