DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller/app shortcuts and tips

dex_

Reactions
Found some handy shortcuts from reading the manual and messing around, and thought I'd share in case anyone didn't know them. Please share any shortcuts and tips you think some people might not know about!

1. You can adjust the gimbal roll by holding C2 and rotating the right wheel. (Same functionality as the gimbal roll adjustment function in the gimbal settings, just much easier to do.)

2. Photo vs. video indicator: in video mode, the "record" button on the right is red. In photo mode, it's grey. Photo vs. video is also indicated by the video/photo toggle button above the shutter, but I find the color much more obvious, and I didn't realize the color changed for the longest time.

3. Swiping left in DJI Go opens a screen with some shortcuts like resetting the home point and switching between portrait and landscape. I use it for adjusting screen brightness, since I find it tricky to adjust brightness on my iPhone when DJI Go is open.

4. Enter fullscreen mode by swiping down in DJI Go. This hides most of the telemetry and things, making it much easier to compose a shot.
4a. You can hide the map by hitting the "radar/target" icon in the upper right corner of the map (this switches between the map and "radar" view, but the "radar" view is hidden in fullscreen mode).
4b. You can hide the green autofocus square by tapping the small green square to the right of the camera settings display. (Switches to exposure selection mode, which has the side effect of hiding the big green square).

5. The pinch zoom gesture controls the optical zoom level. This is the same as <left> and <right> on the 5D button, but it's much faster if you just want to jump between 1.0x and 2.0x. Optical zoom of course doesn't help with image quality (you could just crop and resize the image afterwards). I mostly use it to get a better view of something while flying (it's also helpful for manual focusing, when AF fails, like in low light).

6. Pressing in on the 5D control stick thingy opens the intelligent flight modes screen. Same as tapping the controller icon on the left side of DJI Go. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be customizable unlike the other control stick directions.

7. Tapping the different status icons in the DJI Go status bar jumps straight to the related submenu in the settings. For example, hitting the VPS status icon opens the sensors menu. Most of the submenus can be reached directly this way (though there's no related icon for the gimbal submenu, AFAIK).

[edit: added 4b, added pinch zoom as #5]

Last edited:
Good idea for a thread. I best add a tip too!

On the advanced subsection of the sensors settings menu page, you can find a real time monitor of the amount of interference the GPS system is dealing with, which can be useful to find a clean spot to calibrate the GPS.

Reactions: TerryJ and dex_
If you use the usb port on the bottom of the controller to plug in your device. You can plug in a battery charger/booster into the side port. This will massively improve battery life on your controller as it is also running your smartphone or tablet while using the go4 app. Hope this is helpful!

Reactions: Pathogen
Flick the Sport Mode switch on and off 5 times to enter Compass Calibration.

FYI the C2 / Exposure Wheel Gimbal Roll adjustment appears to be a feature of the iOS app only.

Reactions: Pathogen
I found some more today!
  • Addition to #4 (fullscreen mode): you can hide the green AF square by tapping the little green square (to the right of the camera settings). This switches the "tap" action from AF to exposure selection, and has the side effect of hiding the green AF square.
  • The pinch zoom gesture controls the optical zoom level. This is the same as left and right on the 5D button, but it's much faster if you just want to jump between 1.0x and 2.0x. Optical zoom of course doesn't help with image quality (you could just crop and resize the image afterwards). I mostly use it to get a better view of something while flying (it's also helpful for manual focusing).

Reactions: TerryJ and Pathogen
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada