Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller battery usage

Paul Dawson

Reactions
Hi guys...
Is it just me, or does the controller battery level seem to deplete at a rather
fast rate?
I don't know if this is normal - but it seems to drop pretty fast compared to my phone battery. It seems as if it would only last 1 flight battery safely.

Sent from my SM-G900I using MavicPilots mobile app

Are you using an android device that is charging from the controller's internal battery? Some android devices are known to not comply with the USB charging guidelines, which is to say the controller tells the mobile device not to use it as a charging device and it does anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: QuackerDamus
Something's wrong with your battery in controller. First does it start off with a 100%?

If yes, something is wrong. I can get two 24 minute flight and still have 54% battery left in the controller.

Reactions: frankiez
Something's wrong with your battery in controller. First does it start off with a 100%?

If yes, something is wrong. I can get two 24 minute flight and still have 54% battery left in the controller.
I agree. I am using a Galaxy Note4 with my controller and the rc battery lasts a very long time.

sent from my Galaxy Note4

I use a Galaxy S4 and I get at least 3 flight batteries... and yes it does charge my device.

I have something in the range of 60-70 percent left after my first flight.

Perhaps for some reason your device is drawing way more than it should from the controller battery.

Are you turning all of your unnecessary apps off?

Ah ha - the phone is drawing a charge from the controller, that would explain it. I get a pop up from the S5 that gives me options of what to do when connected via USB - it's sitting on charge device and it won't let me chose any other option...

Ah ha - the phone is drawing a charge from the controller, that would explain it. I get a pop up from the S5 that gives me options of what to do when connected via USB - it's sitting on charge device and it won't let me chose any other option...

That's fine if it charges your device, but your device shouldn't be drawing a significant amount. Make sure all nonessential apps are closed before flying.

If you've done all the above and still have an issue, you still could have a controller battery issue.

Last edited:
Sure - makes sense, I guess too that a fully lightened screen will draw a fair amount of power. I also have a low power usage option on the phone but I reckon it may not let DJI Go run optimally...

Ok - so can I disable WiFi and data when I'm flying without any risk of upsetting anything? This I think would greatly reduce my phones power needs...

I keep everything as normal with my phone, wifi, data etc. Turn the screen brightness up to max and am able to get 5 flights until the controller hits below 20%. The issue I have is my iPhone 6+ runs out of battery before the controller does and I gotta charge it with a power bank.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I use an LG pad but the controller will last thru 3 batteries taking it to about 35%. Yes the Mavic controller definitely uses up its battery quicker.

Ok - so can I disable WiFi and data when I'm flying without any risk of upsetting anything? This I think would greatly reduce my phones power needs...

Yes, WiFi is def not needed out in the field, and in fact if you're not actually flying with it (device only mode), it could possibly interfere anyway. I had a warning once, as both it, and your controller, is on 2.4 ghz. Your data can be turned off just before flight, (airplane mode) once your map is loaded. Location (GPS) is only necessary if you are using follow me, or using your device as the home point. I turn it off also.

Other than that, bluetooth: off. All other apps: disabled or off.

You want your device very clean, when running Go4.

Sounds like good advice to me - just wish there was a way of turning off USB charging at will, seems like a flaw not a benefit. Maybe DJI will come up with an upgrade for the controller that will enable a charging disconnect

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas