DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller cable failures - Almost Mavic loss today

Macropoxy

Reactions
So, back when I had the Note 7 I was using the provided USB type C cable and it went bad with intermittent connection to the phone. I switched to a normal phone cable. I now have a regular micro USB phone so I switched to the provided cable.

I'm motor/sailing down the ICW from Freeport to Galveston. After having success launching and catching the drone by hand the past couple of days I tried my first attempt while underway. The launch was nerve racking, but sucessful. Flew around and got some good video for a while and decided to attempt my first catch with about 50 percent battery remaining.

I had it boat side and was planning my strategy when all the sudden the my phone loses connection. Sticks didn't respond. I see it start elevating and turning around. It is going RTH, however it has the home point recorded as when I launched about a mile behind me. I powered down the controller and powered back up and it got signal. Phone connected and I get my bearings. Then it disconnects again. I fidget with the cable and get signal to phone back intermittently. I had a controller signal back and cancelled the RTH but the phone connection drops so I try to minimize the distance on the controller (turns out the distance is to the home point, not to me) It returned about 3500 feet behind me, but still in the air. At this point it is 10% battery or so, so no chance of getting it back. I manage to move it from water to land on a 3 second intermittent phone connection and it hits 5 percent and goes into auto-land, I lose signal before it lands, but I have a GPS position of where it was supposed to land. Returned to the spot and it had landed right there on a nice flat part with little grass and no damage at all.

This is the second DJI provided cable to just crap out and I have not flown that much. I'm no longer going to risk using Google the DJI cables, but have others had these issues? Almost cost me the drone.

Also, is it possible to have the home point continously update to the controller location since I'm flying from a moving position?

I'm very fortunate that I got a intermittent signal long enough to find land to move it over just before the auto land hit. Otherwise it would be gone. Also that I got a GPS update just before it went down.

Any advice on setting changes for launching and catching from a sailboat underway? And advice on cable issues? I'll probably look for a high quality 3rd party cable to use. The DJI cables are worthless, they just look good on the controller.

A bad cable won't cause the radio link between controller and Mavic to fail.
Possible explanations are phone's own wifi or something from the boat.
Or something else is wrong but not the cable.

As 4wd mentioned... also, your RTH settings were incorrect. Should have been set on hover, not RTH.

Yeah, so best option is to just disable RTH. Thanks.

Also, I can't completely claim as to what caused the connection to drop the first time all together, but after I cycled the power on the controller, it held its connection, but the phone itself wouldn't stay connected for me to fly by video stream. When connected it was full signal. I eventually did get a different cable connected before battery died and with the other cable it was fine. 100% sure either the cable is bad, or the controller Micro USB port is bad. I suspect it's these cables as they are very flimsy thin cables, and the port doesn't seem to have issues with fresh cables.

I agree that the first loss of signal was a complete loss causing RTH. I guess you are correct that the cable shouldn't have caused this, unless it did. WiFi was off, on both my phone and boat. Remote rural area with maybe 10 people in a 5 mile radius.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S