DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller question. What am I missing?

DroningOn

Reactions
After 10+ Flawless flights with the Mavic using my iPhone 7, I realized that I haven't looked at the controller screen once. What am I missing? Is there anything displayed on that screen that I can't see on the iPhone with the go app? Just curious.

I almost never look at it, even though it contains loads of useful info.

There are a lot of folks who have flown all sorts of R/C aircraft without the gee-whiz tablet/phone FPV kind of interface. Of course you're limited more to the line of sight range, but that is fine with most and fits well within current regulations in many places.

The App should display everything you can see on the RC display...

Or you know, not require a tablet or phone at all. Like the Yuneec. Or the Karma (r.i.p.). Or even the lowly hubsan fpv.

The fact that the DJI allows an untested iOS/Android device to be in the control loop is pretty surprising, really. I'm not really complaining about the tablet/phone design even if it sounds like I am. Coming from a flight safety oriented software job, I am amazed at the lack of redundancy and testing on these consumer items.

Oh, I agree....I would honestly buy a dedicated tablet or touchscreen if DJI sold one that was proven to be rock solid and not have all of the quirks and issues being reported with the vast array of devices being used. I am all about the flying experience and don't want to worry about "is my app going to crash on me"...The concept is novel but there are too man devices and variable s to consider to make it work without issues.

Can confirm... App crashed on me once when I was well outside of LOS. Almost freaked, but then I saw the telemetry data on the controller's display and realized everything was fine and the Mavic was just hovering by itself. I initiated a return to home, which worked, but I could have just restarted the app.

It's nice to use full screen mode on your phone and use the telemetry on the controller. Also, I find that some of that data is a bit easier to read at a quick glance if you're keeping an eye on your aircraft, as you should be.

Hope that on-controller telemetry becomes a standard for DJI.

Reactions: MarkEt and sonof40
That's a great point... never considered doing that. Maybe I'll give it a try.

I'm waiting on my new phone to ship - currently running a Note 3 that has been used/abused for over 3 years. Last time flying my phone itself crashed, it was torture waiting the few minutes it took to start back up and get the app going again.

That said, I've grounded myself until the new phone gets here.

I've flown with my Note 3 and it's worked fine... I have the old version of DJI Go installed (the last version where the freaking map actually followed the drone), and I use it all the time. I keep that as a backup since the newer updates and newer app (DJI Go 4) on my current phone sometimes has issues.

I've flown with my Note 3 and it's worked fine... I have the old version of DJI Go installed (the last version where the freaking map actually followed the drone), and I use it all the time. I keep that as a backup since the newer updates and newer app (DJI Go 4) on my current phone sometimes has issues.
Don't get me wrong, I've flown it 15+ times with the Note 3. I've just abused the phone so much over the years it is no longer very reliable. My battery is also going bad so the phone dies in about an hour if I'm using it heavily. I also have not updated to DJI Go 4 on the Note.

Oh, I agree....I would honestly buy a dedicated tablet or touchscreen if DJI sold one that was proven to be rock solid and not have all of the quirks and issues being reported with the vast array of devices being used. I am all about the flying experience and don't want to worry about "is my app going to crash on me"...The concept is novel but there are too man devices and variable s to consider to make it work without issues.

Dji does sell one its the P4P+ the only screen right now you can actually see outside in the sun [emoji295]️

Dji does sell one its the P4P+ the only screen right now you can actually see outside in the sun [emoji295]️
I meant for the Mavic....the P4P+ RC is not compatible with the Mavic as it uses lightbridge to communicate with the drone.

I have heard from some folks if you put your phone in airplane mode that it has eliminated most of the app crashes they have encountered.....not sure what features you might lose by doing this but thought I would pass it along.

I have an opposite question - will it even fly without an app? With no phone attached? All vital telemetry is there, on the screen of the controller. Can I practice my piloting skill without a phone?

Sent from my XT1572 using MavicPilots mobile app

I have an opposite question - will it even fly without an app? With no phone attached? All vital telemetry is there, on the screen of the controller. Can I practice my piloting skill without a phone?

Sent from my XT1572 using MavicPilots mobile app
Yes of course it will. You can fly Rc only (not easy to frame a shot and you will lose intelligent flight mode)
or Phone only with Wi-Fi but very limited range and virtual sticks.
Or fly with both for full functions.

Reactions: leesmavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000