DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller sticks stopped responding correctly today. Could not manually fly it with sticks

Downunder

Reactions
Today's flight started well but when I turned it around to manually fly home the following happened.
As I put in some down stick the Mavic went backward and then started rotating clockwise at about 1 revolution per second. Then started to climb to its' max altitude of 120 meters. Then I tried the right sticks (I'm mode 2) to see what they did. They did nothing. The only way to stop the spinning was to put in full left rudder but letting go just caused it to spin again.

The only way to bring it back was to perform an automated RTH which it did respond to and then came home to about 1 meter high. When it got to this height the spinning stopped and it landed fine.

Firmware is the latest and I'm running Litchi on my Galaxy S5

Not tried another flight since until I get my head around what happened.

HealthyDrones log below
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=JcHCMj

After installing the latest firmware update did you calibrate the controller (transmitter)?

Last edited:
There are a handful of people that have the same problem. I think it's a hardware issue with the controller causing stick inputs when there are none or not responsive at all.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I think it might be better to just turn off your controller and let the Mavic RTH by itself if you encounter erratic or non responsive controls. Just make sure your home point is accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Mako79 and Kilrah
What has not been addressed is if the same thing happened using DJI Go. Take the 3rd party app out of the equation.

The rotating sounds like some of the compass errors I've been reading about. GPS won't get you home if it doesn't know compass points.

I had the exact same issue while using DJI Go app (on iPhone 6S Plus) yesterday. Difference is it wouldn't auto-land, I had to spend probably three minutes getting it close enough to the ground that I could grab it from underneath by hand and then, while it was desperately trying to gain altitude and giving me warnings about the maximum motor RPM, pull the battery while trying to not slice my fingers off on the insanely fast-spinning props.

Not really very fun.

Have you found a solution to this issue? I have experienced this on three separate occasions. On each occasion, I lose all control over the controller joysticks. Other buttons on the controller appear to function properly. I have to use RTH, land, and take off again to regain any functionality from the joysticks. I have not yet attempted a controller calibration, but that is my next step. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Last edited:
I had the exact same issue while using DJI Go app (on iPhone 6S Plus) yesterday. Difference is it wouldn't auto-land, I had to spend probably three minutes getting it close enough to the ground that I could grab it from underneath by hand and then, while it was desperately trying to gain altitude and giving me warnings about the maximum motor RPM, pull the battery while trying to not slice my fingers off on the insanely fast-spinning props.

Not really very fun.

Its better to lose the drone then cut a finger off. I would never attempt that maneuver again. You were lucky.

Have you found a solution to this issue? I have experienced this on three separate occasions. On each occasion, I lose all control over the controller joysticks. Other buttons on the controller appear to function properly. I have to use RTH, land, and take off again to regain any functionality from the joysticks. I have not yet attempted a controller calibration, but that is my next step. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Which version of the firmware have you got loaded?

Which version of the firmware have you got loaded?

I believe I have the most recent firmware. However, I can not find where it says what firmware version I have in the DJI Go 4 app. All the videos and instructions on firmware reference the old DJI Go app and not DJI Go 4.

Not really very fun.
In that case I would have not tried to pull the battery, an emergency CSC would have worked, easy to do one handed on the Mavic. (a neck strap would help)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser