DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controlling with phone only. Not connecting

Falcorma

Reactions
Just got my Mavic today. Amazing bird and love it to death already with only 2 flights on her. I tried connecting and controlling with wifi without the remote but it won't connect fully. I see the mavic network, connect to it, but when I open the DJI go app it says disconnected. I am using the older DJI go app and not DJI go 4 because of all the bad reviews on it. Maybe that's why? Anyone have any tips to get it working? Yes the wifi switch is on when trying it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

Does your phone show that you got an IP address from the Mavic? I would start by checking that the IP is valid. You may have tried this but maybe try restarting your device you are connecting with. Sometimes I have to restart in order for some networks to connect and it seems worse when I swap between my home 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz connections.

Does your phone show that you got an IP address from the Mavic? I would start by checking that the IP is valid. You may have tried this but maybe try restarting your device you are connecting with. Sometimes I have to restart in order for some networks to connect and it seems worse when I swap between my home 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz connections.
Thanks for the quick response. I'll give that a try. Do you think it has anything to do with using the older DJI go app?

I am not sure since I have not used wifi connection with mine yet but I doubt it. I find the older app works fine so far and still has Art mode for in the camera settings.

Got it working. Just downloaded the new app and it works fine now. I'm a little skeptical about using only my phone to control the mavic considering most of the reviews say it crashes a lot. But it worked perfect!

You could use an older version of the DJI Go 4 APP but you should not use any version of the DJI Go APP......period

The DJI Go APP is not compatible with the Mavic. It is for other models (not sure exactly but there are other threads here on this same topic of compatibility). The Go 4 App was created specifically for the Mavic (and Inspire I believe). There are SOME commonalities and functionality that leads one to believe you can use either however issues like yours arise when the DJI GO App is used. The answer is always to go to the Go 4 App which is for the Mavic. Sorry, the response is a bit 'detail vague' however you can browse and see this has been discussed elsewhere with instructions not to use the DJI GO app.

The DJI Go APP is not compatible with the Mavic. It is for other models (not sure exactly but there are other threads here on this same topic of compatibility). The Go 4 App was created specifically for the Mavic (and Inspire I believe). There are SOME commonalities and functionality that leads one to believe you can use either however issues like yours arise when the DJI GO App is used. The answer is always to go to the Go 4 App which is for the Mavic. Sorry, the response is a bit 'detail vague' however you can browse and see this has been discussed elsewhere with instructions not to use the DJI GO app.
Ummm, I have used the older DJI Go app since I got the Mavic with no issues. I was even told by a support person that it is more stable at the moment. I will not use DJI Go 4 until there is a reason for me to upgrade to it and so far I cannot see a good reason. That said if wifi flying with the Mavic is needed and the DJI Go 4 app is required for that it would be a reason to upgrade.

DJI GO vs. DJI GO 4

There must be SOMETHING to it......
Yeah, and I understand all the reasons but I also question why they have the Mavic listed as an option to connect to with the old app. If they really didn't want you to use it they would remove the Mavic as an option in the older app. Maybe they had to add it since they released the Mavic before the Go 4 app was released and we needed something to use. It says that it is a separate app to support updates to new products without breaking old ones so that means to me that you don't really need that app until there is a feature that it provides and you require. Although I guess at some point they can update the old app and break compatibility with the Mavic, hopefully if that happens they provide fair warning and remove the option to connect on the old app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu