DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cooling a hot battery

Qoncussion

Reactions
I'm driving around today, flying at several locations. It's about 90°F here in Northern California. After giving my first battery 30 mins to cool, after a flight, I still get LED4 flashing (too hot) when I go to charge it. I'm in the middle of nowhere right now. What do you do to cool down a hot battery? I'm thinking about getting a little fan to carry with me in the car.

Reactions: roflyer
Do you know what your actual battery temperature is? You can check it in DJI Go and also with a cheap temp gun.

I use something like this plugged into my inverter in my car to cool batteries in between charges:

Target car fan.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this is advisable or possible , but back in the day . I use to cool my NIMH Batterys used for 12th scale carpet rc racers using a cold pack ( not an ice pack) . Not to cold but just to help speed up the cool down time between races .

@Thunderdrones - I too have an 1,100W inverter in my car, but your link goes to a dead product page. I'd be interested in seeing what you were trying to link to.

@Zoso - that's not a bad idea. I have several cold packs. I could keep it in a cooler, with some towels over it, and just drop the battery in.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Not sure if this is advisable or possible , but back in the day . I use to cool my NIMH Batterys used for 12th scale carpet rc racers using a cold pack ( not an ice pack) . Not to cold but just to help speed up the cool down time between races .

I think that's fine as long as it doesnt shock cool the battery. Lipos are a little more sensitive than the NIMH.

Funny you should mention 12th scale carpet cars. I just sold my last RC12 last weekend at an RC swap meet. Most fun and best handling car for the buck.

@Thunderdrones - I too have an 1,100W inverter in my car, but your link goes to a dead product page. I'd be interested in seeing what you were trying to link to.

@Zoso - that's not a bad idea. I have several cold packs. I could keep it in a cooler, with some towels over it, and just drop the battery in.

Here's a picture of it. You can get it from Target for $13.99

Target car fan.jpg

Attachments

• Target car fan.jpg
    Target car fan.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: Qoncussion
I'm driving around today, flying at several locations. It's about 90°F here in Northern California. After giving my first battery 30 mins to cool, after a flight, I still get LED4 flashing (too hot) when I go to charge it. I'm in the middle of nowhere right now. What do you do to cool down a hot battery? I'm thinking about getting a little fan to carry with me in the car.

Why not find a way to keep the battery in front of your air conditioning vent while driving around?

I would be interested in your battery temp if you're still getting a blinking LED 4 after 30 minutes at rest. I have flown in 90 - 95 temps, and waited 15 minutes, then the battery was ready to be charged. Guessing it had cooled down enough.

I've got a 12v plug in cooler that I'm going to try when it warms up here in Minnesota. Big enough to hold a 6-pack and it cools about 20F lower than ambient and has a circulation fan built in. I'll add a cold pack if I need to, but might find an excuse for another battery or three...

I would be interested in your battery temp if you're still getting a blinking LED 4 after 30 minutes at rest. I have flown in 90 - 95 temps, and waited 15 minutes, then the battery was ready to be charged. Guessing it had cooled down enough.
Too late to check it now. When I get home I'll upload logs to airdata to see what the battery topped out at during flight.

When I uploaded this flight to airdata.com, the min and max battery temps are both 89°f. Which is wrong. It seems like the logs are not correct. On other flights, my battery shows temps in the 120°+/- range for the max.

Temps up to 120 should be fine. Something's not right, because the logs should be getting info from the battery. Im thinking that your battery might be on it's way out. How many cycles on it? If it wont let you charge until it has cooled down for 30 minutes after a flight, but its not getting any hotter than 120°, and is giving you that 4th LED, it might have somehow gotten damaged. Usually when lipos are on their way out, they tend to run hot, dont hold as much of a charge any more, and take longer to cool down.

If your battery has less than 40 or 50 cycles on it, and you are still under warranty, might be time to contact DJI about it. I always have a temp gun for my RC cars and trucks, and have lately been checking temps of all the Mavic components after every flight.

Battery only has 15 cycles on it so far. Here's the flight data:

[link removed by OP]

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I would not trust that battery. As you said, and as the log shows, a flat 89° from startup to shutdown is probably not accurate. I looked at all your previous flights and the battery went through a normal warmup process then maxed at around 96.

Temps up to 120 should be fine. Something's not right, because the logs should be getting info from the battery. Im thinking that your battery might be on it's way out. How many cycles on it? If it wont let you charge until it has cooled down for 30 minutes after a flight, but its not getting any hotter than 120°, and is giving you that 4th LED, it might have somehow gotten damaged. Usually when lipos are on their way out, they tend to run hot, dont hold as much of a charge any more, and take longer to cool down.

If your battery has less than 40 or 50 cycles on it, and you are still under warranty, might be time to contact DJI about it. I always have a temp gun for my RC cars and trucks, and have lately been checking temps of all the Mavic components after every flight.

Very smart to get a temp gun and check everything manually rather then rely on data readings , sometimes old school methods can save the day !

Do you have a different battery you can try?
I have two... I just reviewed stats for the other battery, and it shows the same temp issue (sometimes). I've seen on airdata.com where my battery temp under the "General" info tab, always shows 32°f. I think this is an airdata issue. I "would" look into getting a temp gun, if I hadn't already spent so darn much on drone stuff... Well that, and if I wanted to throw my marriage away o_O

Some chargers don't tolerate the square-wave inverter output very well. Don't know if the Mavic charger is one of those. You could be getting a false reading.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00