DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Corner focus problem due to lens/sensor-issue

hi guys, why don't you upload a screenshot with the problem or a 10 sec video so that we could see what a "corner soft focus" look like?

Like this?? Compare left and right and ur smarter

Attachments

• IMG_1891.PNG
    IMG_1891.PNG
    7.4 MB · Views: 215
I don't think thats is a problem of the lens. Is more like a sensor problem.
If the lens was not properly aligned the defect on the image should be progressive thru the image. And not just in the corner.

You realize that if you put a camera on a flying, shaking, vibrating machine (which is damped) you will get soft images. If people are getting softness down the centre of the lens, then yeah, I would say that there is a problem, but softness at the outside is quite common. We are not talking about Zeiss lenses here. The Mavic lens is designed for a consumer drone and for the most part it does what it designed for. I am a photographer and I know the limits of such. It is a combination of allowing enough low light, DoF, and trying to get as much in focus as possible. One other thing to consider is that many people have no clue about the "touch to focus" function.
There are people who know their stuff and add softness on purpose. Then add some more. Then add some motion blur and never care about the sharpness of their stills. They produce great videos by the way ;)

Sent from my XT1572 using MavicPilots mobile app

I don't understand why some guys are protecting DJI (or Apple or Leica or what other brand they're fanboys of) and their products in ANY case and ANY situation. This is not helpful for the customers, for the future development and doesn't help DJI to improve themselfs. And actually it's a pretty stupid and childish behaviour.

There are lots of Mavics out there with this "sensor-lens-coplanarity-error" or whatever you would call it. This has NOTHING to do with the general bluryness towards the corners that can be seen on almost every lens (especially when shooting with wide open aperture and with wide angle lenses).

Does anybody of you really think DJI would replace those unit as fast as they are doing right now if this was a user error? Think about it.

Mine is meanwhile on its way with UPS (got shipping label 2 days ago unfortunately only UPS standard not express)... destination Netherlands. As soon as DJI has checked the package (if everything is complete) they will send me the replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xcel
Well here is some footage with the bug:

Check out tle lower right corner. It's a little difficult to see during the much to fast flight in the beginning but proceed to the second half to see it a little better.

My Mavic had to go back due to gimbal issues. They actually sent a replacement rather than repair the old one.

The old one had softness on the right hand side. As first I thought it was depth of field issues but after lots of tests it became clear it was a lens softness on one side.

All lenses except a few very expensive prime lenses will have some corner softness. But they should not be soft on half of one side.

Anyway it wasn't so bad I couldn't cope - but when the replacement arrived not only had the gimbal issues gone but the lens was much sharper on the right side.

Anyway the conclusion is don't expect perfection in each fraction of every corner - but if its soft on one side despite high shutter speeds and ruling out depth of field - then its probably a faulty lens you may want to send back.

Reactions: peros550
Oh man. I sent my new Mavic back to DJI as DOA because of a blurry lower left corner. Today received a new Mavic, and guess what? It's even worse. Look at this. Note that this is shot straight down from some height with focus on the plain ground, so different focus distances can be excluded as a factor.

maik_20170119_161624_fc220.jpg

Don't they have any kind of quality assurance? I'm a bit upset, I have to admit.

Reactions: royalhghnss
I think if you can replicate that image a few times then it suggests a lens issue and it needs to go back again.

I made two flights and have plenty of those images. Video is also affected. It's going back. I already was on the chat with DJI.

Tried playing around with my settings, just not getting it right..
Here is a snapshot from mine in sunny skies. My only concern is I send it to DJI and wait 2 months for a new one with the same problem or worse ?

Water colour effect

Can anyone confirm that their replacement actually solved the issue or is it software related?

It is possible that the problem is not with the camera but with the compression algorithm used in the Mavic. I can see in the image posted by maikm clouds of pixelation in the tree branches. Please do not use jpg format. Take images in raw and check if the problem persist.

It is possible that the problem is not with the camera but with the compression algorithm used in the Mavic. I can see in the image posted by maikm clouds of pixelation in the tree branches. Please do not use jpg format. Take images in raw and check if the problem persist.

Or if you do want JPGs - shoot RAW + JPG and set the style settings to standard not customised. I don't think the standard setting has the same issues - though I can't be 100% sure as I've not had the Mavic long enough

Or if you do want JPGs - shoot RAW + JPG and set the style settings to standard not customised. I don't think the standard setting has the same issues - though I can't be 100% sure as I've not had the Mavic long enough
It is better to shoot raw and get the jpg in postprocessing

That is very odd look - try enabling RAW and JPG and then compare the two - is the DNG raw file better or the same?

I mention this because I was doing some testing of still image settings. I had it set to custom style with -2 sharpness, -1 contrast and -1 saturation.

The images I took were ok but in some places had a similar effect to the one you are getting - but the RAW DNG file was fine.

I've attached a screen shot of the middle of the images - DNG file on left and JPG on right. Look at the grass and the tree in the grass - looks like I've used the smudge tool in Photoshop - but this is how its come out the drone.

This was a screenshot from my video at 2.7k 30fps. :/

I normally always shoot RAW. I had RAW+Jpeg active during this test, and the details in the trees look much better in the DNG, but the issue with the degrading sharpness towards the edge looks the same, so I didn't bother to upload the DNG.

I recently received a repaired (refurbished) Mavic Pro based on an issue that I was having with the jello/jitter video effect. The new unit that I have received has an issue with focusing and will not clearly display the whole image on the screen. As you can see in the video on this the only area that remains in focus is the center.
I have had the Mavic for almost 2 months now and due to hardware issues I have only been able to use it for a dozen flights with inferior camera quality.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut