DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Corner focus problem due to lens/sensor-issue

Oh man. I sent my new Mavic back to DJI as DOA because of a blurry lower left corner. Today received a new Mavic, and guess what? It's even worse. Look at this. Note that this is shot straight down from some height with focus on the plain ground, so different focus distances can be excluded as a factor.

maik_20170119_161624_fc220.jpg

Don't they have any kind of quality assurance? I'm a bit upset, I have to admit.
noooooo tell me you're joking... seriously?

That is very odd look - try enabling RAW and JPG and then compare the two - is the DNG raw file better or the same?

I mention this because I was doing some testing of still image settings. I had it set to custom style with -2 sharpness, -1 contrast and -1 saturation.

The images I took were ok but in some places had a similar effect to the one you are getting - but the RAW DNG file was fine.

I've attached a screen shot of the middle of the images - DNG file on left and JPG on right. Look at the grass and the tree in the grass - looks like I've used the smudge tool in Photoshop - but this is how its come out the drone.

DNG files aren't comparable to JPG files. JPG's are processed in the camera where as DNG files require post processing.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

DNG files aren't comparable to JPG files. JPG's are processed in the camera where as DNG files require post processing.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Exactly! Which means if there are issues in the JPG and not in the DNG file then it strongly suggests JPG processing issues and not lens issues.
Which was my original point which I'm rather regretting making!

I know how much people love DNG and I am not suggesting people use one or the other - its a free country so choose whichever works and makes you happy!

Exactly! Which means if there are issues in the JPG and not in the DNG file then it strongly suggests JPG processing issues and not lens issues.
Which was my original point which I'm rather regretting making!

I know how much people love DNG and I am not suggesting people use one or the other - its a free country so choose whichever works and makes you happy!

Definitely - but the example of mine you saw was from the source video file (albeit a screenshot) but it looks like that on the video..

Definitely - but the example of mine you saw was from the source video file (albeit a screenshot) but it looks like that on the video..

In the UK "snapshot" means photo - so I assumed photo rather than video.

Anyway hope you get your issues solved.

I had the same problem. Sent it for repairs. I got back a new drone, extra props and extra 16GB memory card, but with my old battery and old controller.

Got my replacement back via UPS from NL 20th Jan - the Lens mis-alignment issue. Brand new drone, box, charger, remote, blades, the works. Got it up into the air yesterday- perfect. Sensor showing uniform sharpness all around the outer field of view. It was bit of a haul dealing with DJI to get replacement but the minute I upscaled the call everything fell into place, they replaced it immediately. The lesson from this is, be persistent... Very happy with new drone, can't wait to get it flying properly!

Now that you have your new drone, out of curiosity, have you had a crash with your previous Mavic? I had a small bump (apparently it works indoors only if you make a Youtube video out of it, otherwise it just crashes into the wall as soon as it's up and you can't even control it).

Reactions: kamal
Now that you have your new drone, out of curiosity, have you had a crash with your previous Mavic? I had a small bump (apparently it works indoors only if you make a Youtube video out of it, otherwise it just crashes into the wall as soon as it's up and you can't even control it).
Nope. No Bumps. I've not flown it indoors purely as I am a new pilot and averse to removing all of my fingers. So only outdoors only for the time being. Regarding the sensor issue, I'm sure it was a camera build quality problem. The sensor in these gimbals are so tiny and the lens elements even smaller. The design and build was probably rushed a bit with supply demand for the Drone, so I expect the failure rate on this part of the system was quite high.

There's no question about it. I just think that manufacturing problem in some cases may be 'asleep' and could come to show itself after a minor bump, even during transport. I hope the lens in my new drone is superglued on there :) We'll see in a year I guess.

My case history so far (1 week has passed):

January
15. > Support Ticket
16. > Reply > Will send me an UPS Label to send it in
17. > Label received
18. > UPS Pick up
20. > Mavic arrives in the Netherlands
23. > No news so far :(

23. > No news so far :(

For me (*without* DJI care refresh) it was:

30. > Take everything back to the shop ("Just leave the aircraft here with a battery, you can take home the rest, including SD card.")
04. > Take the controller to the shop ("Sorry, we were wrong, we actually do need your controller also. Expect 2-3 weeks for repairs.")
19. > Retrieve drone ("Drone is back from Germany.")

- Old battery
- Old controller
- New aircraft
- New props
- New spare props
- New 16GB sd card in it (I still use my 32gig one but it's nice to have an extra card)
- Had to factory reset the tablet for DJI Go 4 to work (it kept quitting as soon as the aircraft connected, I could see the T&C / aircraft registration pop up for a split second and then crash).

Happy with the results so far, except for the fact that I haven't had a chance to fly it (I don't want to send it up in the fog and cold). But that's not DJI's fault :)

It's kind of nice to have a local shop to deal with all of this. I just take it to them and by next day my drone is on the route, they deal with packaging, arranging stuff etc.

Got my replacement back via UPS from NL 20th Jan - the Lens mis-alignment issue. Brand new drone, box, charger, remote, blades, the works. Got it up into the air yesterday- perfect. Sensor showing uniform sharpness all around the outer field of view. It was bit of a haul dealing with DJI to get replacement but the minute I upscaled the call everything fell into place, they replaced it immediately. The lesson from this is, be persistent... Very happy with new drone, can't wait to get it flying properly!

My Mavic is set to be delivered tomorrow. How can I confirm that my Mavic does not have the issue? Focus to infinity on an object more than 150 feet away and then take some pics in bright sunlight with RAW and examine for uniform sharpness from left to right?

My Mavic is set to be delivered tomorrow. How can I confirm that my Mavic does not have the issue? Focus to infinity on an object more than 150 feet away and then take some pics in bright sunlight with RAW and examine for uniform sharpness from left to right?

Like that, yes. And take the picture straight down to the ground to ensure there aren't significant differences in focus distance across the image. The ground itself should have some detail where the sharpness can be well judged.

January
15. > Support Ticket
16. > Reply > Will send me an UPS Label to send it in
17. > Label received
18. > UPS Pick up
20. > Mavic arrives in the Netherlands
23. > No news so far :([/QUOTE]
25. > Still no news > Will sell the Mavic... ordered Phantom 4 Pro...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR