Could anyone recommend a drone to learn to fly while i wait for my mavic?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by puravidastyles, Nov 27, 2016.

1. puravidastyles

puravidastyles Active Member

Hi all...so like most of you i am still waiting for my mavic... and i am just wondering if there is a cheap drone to get my skill levels up before the bad boy arrives..

thanks all and dear god... get me my mavic already dji!

2. murmur70

murmur70 Member

bruceC and puravidastyles like this.
  3. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

You can find a list of quadcopters here that will help you understand how a quadcopter flies, how it's controlled, etc. None of these cheaper drones will be as easy to fly as a Mavic though.

puravidastyles likes this.
  4. halley

halley Well-Known Member

An interior toy that will let you play with rotor dynamics indoors is the Hubsan X4 with PVP. Tiny batteries, short flights, but a lot of fun to bonk around a bit.

Here's an exercise for learning. Ignore the PVP screen for this. Learn how to maneuver the aircraft with tail toward you, then with side toward you, then with nose toward you, then start doing laps and circuits and higher flight.

To msinger's point about ease of flying, if you can fly something without all the stabilization, you will be ahead of the game when you step up to a smarter aircraft. That's essentially what "sport mode" is: it turns off some of the automatic control so you're in control.

puravidastyles likes this.
  5. Jengle

Jengle New Member

I went with the Syma X5C-1. Camera is crap, but it's teaching me to fly with a super light-weight quad. It's a challenge in any wind at all, but now that I have the basics down I am challenging myself by taking it up with a breeze. Hint: fly in a (large) field! I have already lost it a few times because of the wind & battery shut-down. It's fun too, especially when I find it.

6. jfxmedia

jfxmedia Member

I also have the Syma X5C-1, love this thing, I learned how to fly it, and only had it to fly and play with for 2 years, now I have the Mavic. But I still fly the Syma just for fast fun careless flights, it can take a beating

7. Wholagan

Wholagan Well-Known Member

I have an X5c as well. Fun little guy to fly around the house to practice tight flying or take outside for some fun. Just don't fly it into your wife's hair like I did.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

puravidastyles and bruceC like this.
  8. dam

dam Well-Known Member

9. Mako79

Mako79 Well-Known Member

Get the Phantom 4 Pro. Its a good practice drone =)

PilotMan7700 likes this.
  10. JoshuaCarlton

JoshuaCarlton Member

This bebop is a fantastic drone that has a 14 megapixel camera and shoot 1080P video. I am selling this one it's only been flown a handful of times with four batteries and three chargers plus lots of extras only $200. I believe it's actually a little bit smaller than the Mavic and very easy to travel with.

Attached Files:

11. chris thomas

chris thomas New Member

12. JoshuaCarlton

JoshuaCarlton Member

Yes it is:)

13. timthib

timthib New Member

I also have the Hubsan X4. It's great inside and you can pick up enough extra batteries that you can log a lot of practice time in each evening.

Sent from my VS990 using MavicPilots mobile app

14. james_mav

james_mav Member

I think the best thing to develop your skills with is a helicopter. This one is great for indoors & flys just like a drone. Blade mCX2 RTF | HorizonHobby