DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Could I get some opinion on my [scary] flight [log]?

willhay555

Reactions
I've up to about sixty-ish flights now, all without incident and all an absolute joy.

I was on the east coast of the UK this weekend and whilst windy, took her up around Whitby Abbey.

It was windy, but nothing like as windy as my first ever flight, at which time she performed incredibly well/stable.

This time she flew off balance one hundred feet whilst up vertically one hundred feet.
I only used the left stick to climb.

Within about twenty seconds and after watching her drift alarmingly away I pressed RTH and back she came, all safe and sound.

After research I'm familiar with the ATTI and GPS modes, and have never set off without what I feel was sufficient satellites [ten minimum, usually fifteen plus].

I had her up again today in the same place and for fifteen minutes she was absolutely rock solid, superb.

So, I guess i need a little comfort that in high winds and then one hundred feet up in even stronger winds it was simply too much for the little thing.

Initially, some guidance on how and where to upload the specific log would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I've up to about sixty-ish flights now, all without incident and all an absolute joy.

I was on the east coast of the UK this weekend and whilst windy, took her up around Whitby Abbey.

It was windy, but nothing like as windy as my first ever flight, at which time she performed incredibly well/stable.

This time she flew off balance one hundred feet whilst up vertically one hundred feet.
I only used the left stick to climb.

Within about twenty seconds and after watching her drift alarmingly away I pressed RTH and back she came, all safe and sound.

After research I'm familiar with the ATTI and GPS modes, and have never set off without what I feel was sufficient satellites [ten minimum, usually fifteen plus].

I had her up again today in the same place and for fifteen minutes she was absolutely rock solid, superb.

So, I guess i need a little comfort that in high winds and then one hundred feet up in even stronger winds it was simply too much for the little thing.

Initially, some guidance on how and where to upload the specific log would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Did you upload the log to www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and/or Airdata.com?

On iOS: iTunes the app (way at the bottom of all the apps). Upload the flight data folder, located the file you want to the sites above.

On Android, connect phone to your PC, locate the drone drive and folders as above.

Which day was this, several recent days have been windy enough to take it away unless in Sport Mode - especially if you have Obstacle Avoidance turned on.
Mine won't go above 30mph in GPS Mode without OA
This is not a very high wind speed once clear of strucures and trees it can be well above that when it seems reasonable on the ground.
I live local(ish) and if you know the time and date can tell you wind speed from my weather station.

Which day was this, several recent days have been windy enough to take it away unless in Sport Mode - especially if you have Obstacle Avoidance turned on.
Mine won't go above 30mph in GPS Mode without OA
This is not a very high wind speed once clear of strucures and trees it can be well above that when it seems reasonable on the ground.
I live local(ish) and if you know the time and date can tell you wind speed from my weather station.
It was Saturday [emoji106]

It was Saturday [emoji106]
Definitely a bit strong through the day.

20170415_1.gif

Reactions: willhay555
The wind (per @4wd's graph) was out of the west at 20, gusting over 30 mph (nearer to ground level too).

You take off facing south-southeast (blue line) 160° ish and as you can see from the yellow line you were banked right against the wind - not enough to counter it. It drifts at upt to 10 mph. (red) as a function of height and presumably stronger winds.

Then you say come home. It banks to 25° for a bit which stops it in place (red line going to 0).

The heading changes (right turn) to -107° (253°) and the bank angle is relieved to near 0. At the same time you can see the pitch angle go down to -23° or so as it fights its way back. Stops (2nd grey spike) and then pitches down to -10°..-20° (to maintain location) while descending.

(The first grey spike may have been to counter an over correction, not clear...)

etc. That's not exhaustive, but gives you the general idea. Were you in P-mode with OA on?

Left scale: heading (light blue), altitude (dark blue)

Right scale (roll (yellow), pitch (grey), speed (red)).

(Edits: refining the details as I go along...)

upload_2017-4-18_16-2-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-18_15-52-4.png
    upload_2017-4-18_15-52-4.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: willhay555

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads