DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Couple of issues to make you all aware of

telvis

Reactions
I received my mavic a few days ago and wanted to share a few things that have occurred. I previously had a P3S so this isn't my first drone.

First flight i almost lost the drone. I was sitting on my front porch and didn't realize how strong the wind was. I went out quite a distance and the drone was barely able to move against the wind. I had to walk to it and was able to get it down with only a few minutes battery remaining. It was completely my fault but hopefully my experience will serve as a warning to be more mindful.

Second day the wind was better... I went to take off and one of the arms folded back and the drone crashed. No damage. Again, I blame myself for not checking the arms. However, I did completely unfold the unit and had it on a hard surface for takeoff. I'm not sure how it folded back but it did. Just a heads up for everyone to be mindful.

The camera quality on the drone is great. I love the remote too. I don't think it's any quieter than my P3S. I also think my P3S flew a bit smoother. All in all, I am happy with the Mavic but would have gone with a P4P if not for the portability factor. My Phantom seemed more stable and solid in flight.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: E92Vancouver
do you travel often? The Phantoms are so big and clunky. I'm betting the P5 will be more like a mavic in size.

Full disclosure... I took my drone out for flight #3 today. I discovered a major issue that I overlooked from the crash yesterday. I had a prop with about 1/4" clipped off of it. I didn't see it yesterday. It was a perfect shear point. I replaced all four props and I am happy to say it it infinitely more stable and flies much better. I still think it's just as loud as my P3S but it is a nice flying platform. I am ecstatic and could not be happier with my Mavic. Just beware to check on the wind and the arms. Now to make myself a better photographer! :)

I have the Phantom 4 and the Mavic and I find that the Mavic flies better than my P4, especially in high winds 18-25MPH. It is way quieter than the P4 too. In fact you can hardly notice it when it is over 100-150 feet away, its that quiet. I can hear the P4 when it is 400 feet high. I cannot hear the Mavic when it is 100-150 feet high. It is more stable than my P4 in windy conditions. Just my obeservations..

Reactions: Mako79
do you travel often? The Phantoms are so big and clunky. I'm betting the P5 will be more like a mavic in size.
I would be happy if the P5 was simply the SHAPE of the Mavic... with of course the new awesome (and probably even more awesome by then) camera.

In other words, I'd like my AD-1 to be turned into a DJI product! :p:DAD-1-H3-3Dx1200.jpg AD-1_Folded.jpg

I don't think the Phantom 5 will be shaped anything like the Mavic. The Phantom series isn't about portability; that's what the Mavic series is about. I do hope the Phantom 5 will have enough of a design change to eliminate the props from the video.

Reactions: MavicMo
First flight i almost lost the drone. I was sitting on my front porch and didn't realize how strong the wind was. I went out quite a distance and the drone was barely able to move against the wind. I had to walk to it and was able to get it down with only a few minutes battery remaining. It was completely my fault but hopefully my experience will serve as a warning to be more mindful.
How much wind?

Reactions: Jengle
How much wind?

Not sure exactly. It was pretty windy once I got away from the house. I have flown many times since then with no additional issues. I love the Mavic. The more I fly it the more I like it.

.......Second day the wind was better... I went to take off and one of the arms folded back and the drone crashed. No damage. Again, I blame myself for not checking the arms. However, I did completely unfold the unit and had it on a hard surface for takeoff. I'm not sure how it folded back but it did. Just a heads up for everyone to be mindful..........

Any more reflecting on what happened with the ams? I figured the arms make some kind of click when extended. Is there no detent when extended, just spring resistance? I saw a vid of a guy doing all sorts of malicious things to foul up flying and one was moving the arm, didn't seem to affect it. Curious about more info, thanks.

I have no idea with the arm. It was a one time issue. They don't lock per say but there is a fairly positive open position and it would be nearly impossible for it to close on it's own. I know it was opened but I guess it could have been just shy of full open. The only thing I can think of is the drone somehow caught on the sidewalk and moved forward a bit. That might have pushed the leg back. My sidewalk has brick strips about every 4 feet. I was on one of the strips. It's only speculation. I really don't know. It hasn't happened again. I have to blame it on human error.

Phantom 5 better finally solve all of the interchangeability problems, being able to attach any DJI camera and gimabl onto an OSMO-like stick or the drone.

Th
Any more reflecting on what happened with the ams? I figured the arms make some kind of click when extended. Is there no detent when extended, just spring resistance? I saw a vid of a guy doing all sorts of malicious things to foul up flying and one was moving the arm, didn't seem to affect it. Curious about more info, thanks.
There is a small spring loaded pin in each arm which detents when the arm is extended and retracted.

The mavic can be switched on sports mode mid-flight ? That's nice then
Just remember you must switch out of "beginner mode" within the app settings before you can enable sport mode. Once this is done, you can use sport mode as Schpenxel stated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000