DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashing.... The camera seems to be the one that bite the dust most...

hellhole

Reactions
I have been seeing some mavic crashes online.. And so far.. What I seen is that.. Most of the time.. The camera is the thing that bite the dust the most!!
Any suggestions to how we can protect it more... Other then not crashing(obviously) and not putting on the protective cover...
Anyone?

I have been seeing some mavic crashes online.. And so far.. What I seen is that.. Most of the time.. The camera is the thing that bite the dust the most!!
Any suggestions to how we can protect it more... Other then not crashing(obviously) and not putting on the protective cover...
Anyone?
Not crashing is the answer. This means more practice and better piloting skills and less reliance on the avoidance sensors and RTH etc.
All multirotors from the toy Mavic up to heavy lift Octo's swinging REDS, Arri's and F55's will have their weakest most exposed point as the gimbal. It is a delicately balanced precision instrument which by its location (usually the lowest point) and sensitive design means it is easily damaged.
As soon as you start putting protection around it you limit the amount of travel/correction it can make without getting that protection in frame.
Just don't crash! :)

Ha! Guess we have to build up that skillset...
I seen some of the crashing video n it seems to me that the cable that attached the camera to the gimbal get yank out of it the most.. Probably from the force of it hitting the ground... Wonder if that can be strengthen somehow.. Or create a plug so that it will come out when there is a force applied.. Then we can reattach it easier.. Rather then opening up the drone

Not crashing is the answer. This means more practice and better piloting skills and less reliance on the avoidance sensors and RTH etc.
All multirotors from the toy Mavic up to heavy lift Octo's swinging REDS, Arri's and F55's will have their weakest most exposed point as the gimbal. It is a delicately balanced precision instrument which by its location (usually the lowest point) and sensitive design means it is easily damaged.
As soon as you start putting protection around it you limit the amount of travel/correction it can make without getting that protection in frame.
Just don't crash! :)

Not crashing also means that DJI needs to work on updating the firmware so all those incidences about the Mavic not responding to controls, or behaving badly and loosing GPS even if there are many satellites supposedly locked on...

Hope DJI makes manual switching to ATTI mode possible so that whatever happens, you can switch to a manual ATTI mode that disregards all extraneous/erroneous inputs from GPS/VPS/etc, and the Mavic can still be controlled properly to be brought back home.

Not crashing also means that DJI needs to work on updating the firmware so all those incidences about the Mavic not responding to controls, or behaving badly and loosing GPS even if there are many satellites supposedly locked on...

Hope DJI makes manual switching to ATTI mode possible so that whatever happens, you can switch to a manual ATTI mode that disregards all extraneous/erroneous inputs from GPS/VPS/etc, and the Mavic can still be controlled properly to be brought back home.
The request for user switchable P-Atti is already in R&D :)

Hope DJI makes manual switching to ATTI mode possible so that whatever happens, you can switch to a manual ATTI mode that disregards all extraneous/erroneous inputs from GPS/VPS/etc
The Mavic is designed to auto switch to ATTI in these cases. From the incidents I've reviewed so far, that function seems to be working as expected. Being able to manually switch to ATTI would be nice for other purposes though.

The Mavic is designed to auto switch to ATTI in these cases. From the incidents I've reviewed so far, that function seems to be working as expected. Being able to manually switch to ATTI would be nice for other purposes though.

I think I remember reading about an incident when the Mavic suddenly lost GPS and switched from GPS to ATTI mode, but when that happened, the Mavic started spinning slowly and didn't seem to respond to the controls properly.. Not sure if that was due to a mis-calibrated compass or what, but DJI needs to make sure that when the pilot manually switches the Mavic to ATTI mode, neither the GPS or compass should over-ride or have any effect on the controls.

A new incident that was just reported over at the DJI Mavic forum illustrating the problem I was talking about...

It seems that it is possible for the Mavic to behave erratically in ATTI mode when it "looses" GPS, even though the app is saying that there are plenty of satellites locked on.

Doesn't matter how many sats you have. The moment the compass spazzes out, the mavic will switch to ATTI to prevent a flyaway. It is switching to ATTI because the compass is conflicting with the GPS/IMU data.

Just off topic..
The VPS on ATTI is sweet for heights less than 13m. I hope one day, DJI's Visioning downward position system and obstacle avoidance in high altitudes will be used as navigation instead of the dreaded compass. (I think) the P4Pro has a downward sensor of 30m.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3