DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Creating a 360 Pano for work using Mavic

Halley,

Is the Microsoft ICE not needed with the GoPro VR Player? I downloaded it here at the office but don't have my 34 individual picture taken with Litchi to try it.

They do totally different things. ICE is an image stitcher. It will combine your 34 pictures into a single jpg file. VR player is a tool to view the finished image in 360 format.

So you do need ICE or a similar stitcher to create the panos.

Yes. That's it.
But one step missing - you will need to open the stitched JPG in an image editor like Photoshop and extend the canvas size so it is a ratio of 2:1. Other wise it wont look right in VR PLayer. My stitched panos come out of ICE as a single 20480 w x 7519 h pixels JPG. I simply extend the canvas to 20480 x 10240 by adding grey or blue to the top.

1 stitch with ICE
2 Extend canvas with photoshop (or any another image editor that has this feature)
3 View with VR player or FSP viewer (also free)

Last edited:
I use a paid program called autopan that will stretch the combined image to a full 360 size. I then use photoshop to basically add more sky where its missing it. The 360 images look amazing for Facebook.

I had no idea Photosynth was going away. I just logged on to export all my 360s from a trip to Europe about 5 years ago. Thanks for the heads up. Would have been nice to get an email from MS...

I use Kolor | Autopano - panorama software but it's expensive. PT GUI is pretty good, sometimes better than Auto Pano.

If you are using Lightroom or Photoshop both can create panoramas up to 360 degrees, but the photosphere output is usually awful. It'll manage a decent 360 with 1 row though.

Okay got it working in VR player. However my horizon looks very curved? Alot of looks very curved. Is that due to the altitude the 34 stills were taken at?
How can I share the file I'm using so someone can see what I'm talking about when in 360* mode in VR player? Here is snip from the 360 view.
Any advice?

Attachments

• 360 snip.JPG
    360 snip.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 29
Okay got it working in VR player. However my horizon looks very curved? Alot of looks very curved. Is that due to the altitude the 34 stills were taken at?
How can I share the file I'm using so someone can see what I'm talking about when in 360* mode in VR player? Here is snip from the 360 view.
Any advice?

Thats VR Player for you, you can zoom in and out to adjust but to be honest the VR Player is not always best. It could be that VR player assumes a full 360 photosphere whereas you have cropped out the blades and the top 20% of the photosphere / the zenith. This causes some viewers to miscalculate. I think Facebook has one of the best 360 viewers as it allows for cropped photospheres and when I want to verify how something will look I upload a picture with the permission set to only me and view it on a PC or even better my phone which will allow you to rotate with the phones movement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22