DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cue the mass cancelling of Mavic orders

They will ship the P4P quick because most of the tooling is similar.

I wouldn't hold my breath on 39 minute flight times. The P4 has been notoriously overstated.

You're nuts to buy this expensive huge drone

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

It's bigger than the mavic yes, but the P4 and mavic both have their uses. Mavic being more portable making it the ideal drone for carrying around and trips. But with the new camera on the P4 Pro, for those a little more serious about photography, this will be their go to. It's like comparing a point & shoot to a DSLR, talking in terms of quality.

They say "The best camera is the one you have with you." That's why cell phones are so popular even though they are no where near the quality of DSLRs or even pocketable travel cameras. It's just too much of a hassle so you don't bring it. It is SO much easier to bring a Mavic along than a Phantom that I am willing to make that tradeoff. Also the fact that they are quieter and attract less attention is a plus for me.

When the P5 comes out I'll probably not be able to resist but for now, Mavic is it for me.

My favorite part about the Phantom 4 Pro right now is that it might thin the ranks of Mavic pre-orders ahead of mine. The P4P is gorgeous , amazing and drop-dead sexy and all, but as someone who's not a professional photographer , the best camera is going to be the one I have with me.

The Phantom 4 Pro may be able to avoid obstacles from 4 directions, but I ask you this: "can it fit in a big old sock?" No? I thought not.

I'll pick that sucker up in a few years for $500, if possible . Until then, I'm sticking with the Phantom 4's little grey Mini-Me.

the perfect prosumer drone.. something that folds about the size of the now defunct karma.. a 1 inch sony sensor camera plus all the other fancy bits the P4P has and of course some object avoidance sensors on the top.. he he

trog

ps.. i would also like to see the new P4P camera become available for the Osmo handle..

Last edited:
Reactions: gavinski
i bought the mavic just because the portability... i like trekking, biking, and other outdoor activities, so the portability was the key factor to buy the Mavic. I was thinking since phantom 1 in drones but portability was the thing...

So for me, Mavic is still the game changer.

Reactions: Smallz
i bought the mavic just because the portability... i like trekking, biking, and other outdoor activities, so the portability was the key factor to buy the Mavic. I was thinking since phantom 1 in drones but portability was the thing...

So for me, Mavic is still the game changer.

i think you are absolute right for activities you are into.. for me portability is important but being older and less outdoor active i could tolerate something a tad larger just to get the better camera.. one day perhaps.. i wont cancel my mavic order though..

trog

Reactions: raberrio
As cool as the Phantom 4 + Pro looks, and as impressive as the features are, the portability of the Mavic carries a lot of weight in my decision. One of the biggest drawbacks of my Vision 2+ was the ability to travel conveniently with it.

Reached a compromise!! Keeping Mavic order and selling Inspire 1..... then I can pre-order P4P for delivery sometime in next few years!!

Reached a compromise!! Keeping Mavic order and selling Inspire 1..... then I can pre-order P4P for delivery sometime in next few years!!

Same here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should get couple hundred bucks for Inspire 1... so just another 1400 to find...

the perfect prosumer drone.. something that folds about the size of the now defunct karma.. a 1 inch sony sensor camera plus all the other fancy bits the P4P has and of course some object avoidance sensors on the top.. he he

trog

ps.. i would also like to see the new P4P camera become available for the Osmo handle..

They released an osmo pro. Not sure how the camera compares I didn't look at the specs but it looks good.

It's bigger than the mavic yes, but the P4 and mavic both have their uses. Mavic being more portable making it the ideal drone for carrying around and trips. But with the new camera on the P4 Pro, for those a little more serious about photography, this will be their go to. It's like comparing a point & shoot to a DSLR, talking in terms of quality.

not really, its like comparing a point and shoot with a slightly larger point and shoot. Its no where near m4/3 or even APS-C cameras...
At the end of the day, it is how you use your tools.

When the P3 Pro was released, everyone raved about it. For its small sensor, it produced great and decent images if the operator knows what he is doing.

If photography is your livelihood and you depend on the best quality and detail and you need to pixel peep, then perhaps the inspire 2 or an airborne rig that carries a dslr is more suited for you...

not really, its like comparing a point and shoot with a slightly larger point and shoot. Its no where near m4/3 or even APS-C cameras...

When the P3 Pro was released, everyone raved about it. For its small sensor, it produced great and decent images if the operator knows what he is doing.

If photography is your livelihood and you depend on the best quality and detail and you need to pixel peep, then perhaps the inspire 2 or an airborne rig that carries a dslr is more suited for you...
I think people are missing the point when it comes to these drones, I use an inspire 1 for 'camera platform' and have ordered a Mavic for some action work ie. up mountains or out in the wilderness on bike... the P4P seems to be aimed at the 'boot of car' people who like sunsets...

My next investment will be a Hex with Pro camera and I'll be trying as much as possible to avoid DJI after the recent problems.

Snew76.. its the same as the old camera but with 3 x optical zoom.. the Sony 1 inch sensor is the secret to small-ish size and good-ish image quality.. you can fit the M4/3 sensor camera to the osmo handle but its way too expensive for what it is..

the new P4P cameras would be a nice option for the osmo handle..

trog

Oh that's such a beautifull sight! wish I brought my drone
... oh wait I do have it with me! If your not in the film bussiness the Mavic will win every time.. if you can fly for a bit, otherwise get the p4 pro.. I love it but 4 k footage through some grading software to get stunning 1080p will do just fine to bring your creativity as pro- close as you want.. else; get the inspire 2 or even a real pro drone for 20.000 or more... there 's allways a bigger fish and DJI is playing it's momentum (which is a smart thing to do for the company).. no more real prosumer competition..

20 megapixels, 1-inch sensor, 4K/60fps video, Burst Mode stills at 14 fps, 84 degree FOV, mechanical shutter, f/2.8 - f/11 aperture, 100 mbps bit rate video, 12-stop dynamic range.....the P4P is actually a camera that flies, the Mavic is a portable drone that happens to have a camera. Different folks/different strokes, but it's not very realistic to minimize the photographic and video capabilities of the P4P compared to the Mavic. They're really not even in the same category.

20 megapixels, 1-inch sensor, 4K/60fps video, Burst Mode stills at 14 fps, 84 degree FOV, mechanical shutter, f/2.8 - f/11 aperture, 100 mbps bit rate video, 12-stop dynamic range.....the P4P is actually a camera that flies, the Mavic is a portable drone that happens to have a camera. Different folks/different strokes, but it's not very realistic to minimize the photographic and video capabilities of the P4P compared to the Mavic. They're really not even in the same category.

And it isn't fair to minimize the photographic and video capabilities of the Mavic compared to the P4P. Two sides of the same coin.

And it isn't fair to minimize the photographic and video capabilities of the Mavic compared to the P4P. Two sides of the same coin.
Nobody's minimizing the Mavic's imaging capabilities. Compromises had to be made to accommodate the size and form factor. Mavic's capabilities are very good for a drone that size. Not in the same league as the P4P, but still very good. And is often quoted on this forum, the best drone is the one you have with you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada