Custom Cut on Mavic Pro gimbal cover

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by ditography, Nov 1, 2016.

1. ditography

ditography Member

Hi Guys, I am wondering if it's possible to cut a certain part of the gimbal cover (the side that's facing forward and downward) to enable slight protection while landing on uneven terrain while maintaining maximum image quality from the camera.

I'm also still waiting for my own Mavic so I can't test whether this method is possible or not.

[​IMG]

The dotted line shows the cut behind the gimbal

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

2. Dynamic3dSolutions.com

Approved Vendor

I like the idea. The only thing would be finding where you could cut it and be just out of field of view. This would take some testing with the Mavic's camera system to find the sweet spot to cut.

3. rockydog

rockydog Active Member

You could check what you need to remove by drawing lines on the bubble with an erasable marker...once you've got the lines just out of view, that's your cut line.

___ likes this.
  4. mstampfli

mstampfli Member

I thought I read somewhere that the cover had a relatively weak holding clasp system, and would not hold for the lifetime of the drone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MavicPilots mobile app

5. zimode

zimode Active Member

Love the idea.. hopefully there will be after market solutions as well

6. Dronebow

Dronebow Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that a variety of gimble covers designed for protection and good video will be surfacing. As the demand for something starts to increase so will the products.

7. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on aerodynamics, I can barely spell aerodynamics, but wouldn't that funnel all the air inside the gimbal cover during flight? That doesn't sound like a good idea to me unfortunately.

8. Dronebow

Well, the gimbal is getting the same amount of air without the cover. Right? If you are flying 30mph with no wind then the gimbal is getting a 30mph wind on it's face. With the opening it's still receiving the same amount of air and actually probably less because once the air in the cover gets to some point then I think the air would start going around the cover rather than in.

And I can't spell aerodynamics either but that sounds right from logic perspective...

Pablo likes this.
  9. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member

Trial and error I guess. It might work, or it might mess with that tiny, fragile gimbal. I'll let someone else try. :D

10. ditography

ditography Member

The air inside the cover could be easily countered by making another hole at the back as an exhaust window. Also I wasn't thinking of using this for high speed flight as I was planning to use the drone mostly for photographic purposes. The ideas was simply to modify the cover as an extra layer of protection to prevent any rocks or uneven terrain to damage that fragile gimbal while landing.

I am thinking of ordering a spare bubble once they're are readily available (and I have an actual drone to test with).

Pablo likes this.
  11. vince123

vince123 Member

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, not just for protection but also to reduce lens flare when facing near the sun. In my flight yesterday I noticed that a very bad 'rainbow' effect when the sun directly contacts the lens. My girlfriend jokingly asked how I'd mount a lens hood, which got me thinking about modifying the gimbal cover.

12. Dronebow

So the main issue with keeping the bubble on is glare and maybe some distortion correct? I'm wondering when someone will come out with a bubble that has opaque sides to keep out the glare and for the front of the camera a flat face to reduce distortion. Perhaps even adding a filter on the camera would help.

13. vince123

vince123 Member

Yes, the distortion and glare are very noticeable with the gimbal on. I'm planning to first test the field of view with a dry erase market, then cut a slot out and paint the remaining gimbal material. My only concern is that I'll have to cut away too much plastic from the sides to account for the 'yaw' rotation, that there may not be enough material left to protect the camera or block the sun. Looks like I'll be taking a dremel to my shiny new Mavic tonight! (don't have a heart attack, just the gimbal cover!).

14. Dronebow

Does the gimbal pan horizontally at all? I keep seeing pictures that seem to show a bit of horizontal pan left or right on the gimbal which makes me think that it does pan a bit, maybe for settings like follow me. That may affect your ability to successfully modify the cover.

15. vince123

vince123 Member

Yea, that's what I mean by 'yaw' rotation...same as panning (aka "z-axis"). It does a little any time the aircraft rotates such as follow me as you mention, which is why I'm concerned I'll have to cut away too much material to make the modification effective. I'll just have to test it out and see what works :)

16. Dronebow

Yaw, I know right?.. :rolleyes:
    I really need to learn the lingo.. LOL

17. DrPeppar

DrPeppar Well-Known Member

Pics or it didn't happen :D

18. Chris_Toronto

Chris_Toronto Well-Known Member

19. Rom3oDelta7

Rom3oDelta7 Active Member

I believe if you disable "Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow" it will not do this. Try it and let us know.

20. ditography

ditography Member

Please keep us posted with your experiment Vince!

Sent from MavicPilot iOS app