DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Custom mount for phone with case

Ray Dunakin

Reactions
I got tired of having to remove my iPhone 7+ from its Otterbox case every time I wanted to fly the Mavic -- which also defeats the purpose of having the case. So I came up with a way to mount the phone, in the case, to the controller.

I built a mount out of Sintra PVC board. You can get it from this site: Buy Sintra PVC Foam Board | Sintra PVC | PVC Foam

I used two layers of 6mm thick Sintra, and one later 4mm thick. The bottom layer was cut out in the size and shape of an iPhone, to fit into the "arms" of the controller. It was a little loose, so later I wrapped some masking tape around the end tabs for a tighter fit.

To stick the phone to the mount, I used 3M repositionable mounting putty, aka poster putty.

IMG_0900c.jpg

IMG_0903c.jpg

IMG_0913c.jpg

To use it, I just press the phone, in its case, onto the putty. It holds quite well and can be pulled off when done. In this photo I connected the phone using a standard, three-foot (1 m) USB/Lightning cable. Later I bought a shorter, one-foot cable which is just the right length. The cable plugs into the USB socket on the bottom of the controller. The special short cable that comes with the controller must be removed.

IMG_0918.jpg

When the phone is not on the mount, I cover the putty with a piece of non-stick backing from some address labels, or something similar.

The next thing I want to do is make a neck strap for the controller, so when I'm hiking, I can keep the controller and phone on, and still have both hands free.

How big is your case? I've got a 7 plus with thick case, goes in no probs.

I have the Otterbox Defender case. It's 5/8" thick, and 6 3/4" long.

Reactions: Mattw996
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll