DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Customising the functionality of the sticks issue...

MacPap

Reactions
Hi
I have my Mavic for 2 weeks now and I love flying with it. However I realised that "Mode 2" in the stick configuration is great for taking videos but is not the best way for me for FPV flying. So I thought I would customise the controls to something that resembles the setup on my game console. So from what is the mode 2 (seen below)

I changed it to what is described below.

But then I tried to make the drone start with pushing the two sticks down & inwards (as seen below)

and to my great surprise nothing happened.

Instead I realised that I could start the motors when I pushed the two sticks up & outwards

So is this normal for all or is it only me?
I guess it would be a good thing that no matter what the stick configuration is such critical switching stays the same.

Kostas

Hi
I have my Mavic for 2 weeks now and I love flying with it. However I realised that "Mode 2" in the stick configuration is great for taking videos but is not the best way for me for FPV flying. So I thought I would customise the controls to something that resembles the setup on my game console. So from what is the mode 2 (seen below)

But then I tried to make the drone start with pushing the two sticks down & inwards (as seen below)

Instead I realised that I could start the motors when I pushed the two sticks up & outwards

I guess it would be a good thing that no matter what the stick configuration is such critical switching stays the same.

Kostas
That is strange, I can understand it switching with you controller switching but you would think they would say something, I agree that a critical switch such as it is should remain constant.
Regards,
-d

When I change my stick mode or use any combination in the custom setting, CSC always works as designed. I'm not able to initiate CSC by pressing the sticks to the upward corners.

Hi

Kostas
Pretty cool! I like your thinking too. Sorry, I don't have any experience with this but the behavior makes sense. The start appears software, not hardware, based.

Reactions: MacPap
When I change my stick mode or use any combination in the custom setting, CSC always works as designed. I'm not able to initiate CSC by pressing the sticks to the upward corners.
even if you set it up as I did?

Yes.

Pretty cool! I like your thinking too. Sorry, I don't have any experience with this but the behavior makes sense. The start appears software, not hardware, based.
Yes that is my thoughts too... Nonetheless it is confusing.

I'm running the current firmware and DJI GO 4 versions.

@MacPap , I use the same setup as you do; controling the directions with the right stick and the altitude with the left. If needed, you can strafe with the left stick. Loving this setup.
Right now it is too windy for my idea to fly, but I will try if I have the same issue as you have.

On a sidenote, I think I would want to do the same in fixed wing mode: use the right stick to pitch the nose up/down and roll, use the left stick to throttle up/down... :)

I think this gives a much better realism when flying FPV. The right stick acts like a stick on a normal aircraft.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about it like that. To me it just felt more natural, but you're right!

I think this gives a much better realism when flying FPV. The right stick acts like a stick on a normal aircraft.

I'd have to disagree with this statement. Setting a control scheme to mimic a FPS video game does not give more realism. It's actually getting away from realism IMO. The Mode 2 control scheme is pretty much setup to closely approximate actual aircraft controls. In the case of a drone it's using helicopter control. Right stick is controlling all the movements that a cyclic stick would in a helicopter while the right stick is controlling rudder(yaw) direction and collective.

Well that depends on if you are used to flying hells or planes. (talking about sims and games always) No?

Last edited:
You have changed your stick configuration to Mode 4 which is a mode hardly used by anyone anywhere in the world.
The two modes used is mode 2 mostly in the US and Canada and Mode 1 outside of North America.
Modes 3 and 4 are very very seldom usef for any plane, heli, boat, or quad, bit I supose there is the odd exception.
Anyway I will test and see if CSC stays or changes when mode is changed to mode4 for you.
Update
Modes 1,2 and 3 CSC sticks down and in will start and stop motors but custom mode to mode4 config cannot start or stop motors in any configuration. (csc direction)
Latest DJI Go4 app version 4.0.7 Android and Mavick updated to firmware .600

Last edited:
thx Dragonfly
Latest DJI Go4 app version 4.0.8 iOS and Mavick updated to firmware .600 still the same issue as described above.

The Mavic, IMHO, isn't a flying machine per se, it's a camera on a flying platform. Other drones maybe flying machines. The ability to yaw or raise/lower altitude whilst at the same time moving left/right/forward/backward is designed for cinematic shots. Maybe this is not 'real' for helicopter pilots, it is certainly effective for videographers :)

The Mavic, IMHO, isn't a flying machine per se, it's a camera on a flying platform. Other drones maybe flying machines. The ability to yaw or raise/lower altitude whilst at the same time moving left/right/forward/backward is designed for cinematic shots. Maybe this is not 'real' for helicopter pilots, it is certainly effective for videographers :)

Those are basic flight principals for a heli. They were not designed for cinematic shots but do lend themselves to it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu