DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Danube River Cruise - Munich to Budapest

Falcon1az

Reactions
I have little knowledge of flying domestically and no knowledge of traveling internationally with a Mavic. Was wondering if anyone member has experience and could offer input?
Additionally, would you take the Mavic on a river cruise? I think the rich availability of wonderful things to video makes it particularly worth investigating. Thanks!

I have little knowledge of flying domestically and no knowledge of traveling internationally with a Mavic. Was wondering if anyone member has experience and could offer input?
Additionally, would you take the Mavic on a river cruise? I think the rich availability of wonderful things to video makes it particularly worth investigating. Thanks!
I think before trying something like a Danube river cruise, you should have a LOT of domestic flying practice. Lots can go wrong that you should have experience handling on your international trip. But yes, the Vistas will be magnificent and I'd want to take my Mavic on the trip.

I think I'm concerned with country rules pertaining to drones... Germany, Austria, Hungary... for starters. I'm going to look into the airlines for information on flying with a drone.

No elaboration needed.
As a drone flyer, you understand that the rules for flying over public areas apply all over the world!

Thanks Grey Wolf, I appreciate your input.

Any other members, I'm interested in restricitions as it pertains to airlines and countries. Any knowledge on the subject is appreciated.

Thanks Grey Wolf, I appreciate your input.

Any other members, I'm interested in restricitions as it pertains to airlines and countries. Any knowledge on the subject is appreciated.

In Austria, as I know, first of all you should register your drone (Klasse 1) at AustroControl since 2014. There are not a lot, but some Mavics are already registered. Other rules (registration plate on the drone, exam etc.) come afterwards.
In Hungary it is almost impossible to fly a drone legally now (you have to ask permission from HungaroControl to use the air minimum 30 days before the planned flight, but private person cannot ask this permission and needs a lot of paperwork). There is a new drone law on the way, but the final text is not yet published. Probably it will be effective after summer.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
In Austria, as I know, first of all you should register your drone (Klasse 1) at AustroControl since 2014. There are not a lot, but some Mavics are already registered. Other rules (registration plate on the drone, exam etc.) come afterwards.
In Hungary it is almost impossible to fly a drone legally now (you have to ask permission from HungaroControl to use the air minimum 30 days before the planned flight, but private person cannot ask this permission and needs a lot of paperwork). There is a new drone law on the way, but the final text is not yet published. Probably it will be effective after summer.

I hope this helps.

Oh my, this not such a good report. I have been working with my machine the last 2 days. It is fantastic at photos and videos. It could not be easier to use. Just very simple close in photos and videos would be fantastic at a place like Budapest. It is disappointing to learn how restrictive countries are and that this machine may have to stay home.

Oh my, this not such a good report. I have been working with my machine the last 2 days. It is fantastic at photos and videos. It could not be easier to use. Just very simple close in photos and videos would be fantastic at a place like Budapest. It is disappointing to learn how restrictive countries are and that this machine may have to stay home.

I fully understand your feelings. I planned to fly in Austria, but the way of flying legally (and the yearly (?) cost of 247 Euro + taxes) made me sad. I dream for a long time to take nice drone videos in Hungary, so I am really excited what the new regulation will be. From the published draft, for flying typical hobby drones (between 250 g and 2 kg) you will need to pass an online course with the flying rules and need to have an insurance. But these rules will apply only for unpopulated areas. For flying in cities like Budapest, you will need a special permission anyway.

Until then I watch others' records like these :)
etc.

The EU started to change the regulation, too. (See here and here, latest news for example here and here) Until now, every drones and flying objects under 150 kg are regulated on national level, therefore in the EU there are 28 different laws (plus Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and other non-member states), and if you are a tourist or you travel through Europe, not easy to follow how can you fly legally. The goal is, that the rules will be unified and easy to follow. But this will take a longer time...

Cheers,

Last edited:
Really appreciate your reply. It sounds like leaving my machine at home is the best course. It's kind of a shame because I consider this a flying camera. Would like to use it for just that purpose on a very exciting holiday.

I fully understand your feelings. I planned to fly in Austria, but the way of flying legally (and the yearly (?) cost of 247 Euro + taxes) made me sad. I dream for a long time to take nice drone videos in Hungary, so I am really excited what the new regulation will be. From the published draft, for flying typical hobby drones (between 250 g and 2 kg) you will need to pass an online course with the flying rules and need to have an insurance. But these rules will apply only for unpopulated areas. For flying in cities like Budapest, you will need a special permission anyway.

Until then I watch others' records like these :)
etc.

The EU started to change the regulation, too. (See here and here, latest news for example here and here) Until now, every drones and flying objects under 150 kg are regulated on national level, therefore in the EU there are 28 different laws (plus Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and other non-member states), and if you are a tourist or you travel through Europe, not easy to follow how can you fly legally. The goal is, that the rules will be unified and easy to follow. But this will take a longer time...

Cheers,

hi SPilot,

i'm from hungary/budapest. i have to say: usually the hobbysts don't ask airspace permisson from budapestcontrol. because that is a bull****, so nobody care. the hobbyst are respect NFZ places, have insurance, etc. in the budapestcontrol office working two girl for drone request, and they don't care if you ask it, or not, like the police officers. the new drone law come out in july 1. from that date we will have app for ask airspace (i hope!), and we have to log in before take off. and also everybody must have liability insurance, and association membership with drone driver licence.

regards, mlaczek

Mlaczek, what kind of insurance do you mean? And where it is possible to get it?

hi sharkraph,

i talked about liability insurance. in hungary only one insurance company has liability insurance for uav pilots. i don't know exactly how can you get insurance as foreign. hungarian uav pilots must join to some drone pilots association and automatically get the liability insurance.

(sorry for my poor english!)

I did the river cruise from Prague to Budapest with my Mavic Pro. The geofencing on the Mavic Pro worked very well. Wouldn’t let me take off from the quay when there was an airfield on the other side of the river. Didn’t experience any problems and saw someone filming in downtown Budapest with a P4. Only problem was trying to take off from the ship when it was cruising upwind. The apparent wind (sailing term meaning the wind you feel when moving) flung the drone backwards into a screen and broke it.

It wasn't the wind that flung your drone backwards after takeoff. The drone will remain stationary relative to the surface of the Earth - however as you are in a vehicle moving forward, the drone will move backwards relative to the ship at the speed of the ship.

The wind has nothing to do with it - think about it; when your drone takes off in a field in a wind does it move? Answer - no. It remains stationary relative to the surface of the Earth.

Not understanding that is the main reason why trying to fly a drone from a moving vehicle usually results in a crash or an apparent flyaway!

It wasn't the wind that flung your drone backwards after takeoff. The drone will remain stationary relative to the surface of the Earth - however as you are in a vehicle moving forward, the drone will move backwards relative to the ship at the speed of the ship.

The wind has nothing to do with it - think about it; when your drone takes off in a field in a wind does it move? Answer - no. It remains stationary relative to the surface of the Earth.

Not understanding that is the main reason why trying to fly a drone from a moving vehicle usually results in a crash or an apparent flyaway!

Now that you point it out, it seems obvious.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143