DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Day 2 on Mavic - failure and crash

More new Mavics going down. This gets stranger and why did DJI release 550 then a 600 a few days later? i said at the start i had not sen them do a two part rollout before so why now and why so fast do they know something we do not or is there a simple explanation for this?

Not to be ignorant, but I thought that the "DAT" file was from the device that was running GO4, why does the MP need to be physically located to get the DAT?

Data is logged in a few different places:

1. The .dat file is created by the Mavic's internal flight recorder (ie. "black box") and stored in its internal memory. This file contains (by far) the greatest amount of data about a flight.

2. The .txt file is created by the app and stored on your mobile device. This contains quite a lot of useful data, but not all of it. Most importantly, it can't record anything when there's any kind of signal loss between the Mavic and the RC.

3. There is also some kind of log file stored in the RC itself, but apparently this has not yet been deciphered, so only DJI knows exactly what's in there.

Reactions: dbyantis
I'm an electrical engineer and a software engineer. I know that FW and HW go hand in hand, however when you do a lot of debugging, you get a talent observing patterns that let's you make targeted debugging decisions with reasonable accuracy. If the FW .550 was really the culprit, it would have dropped my Mavic in the sky and we would most certainly see a post about the Mavic falling from the sky after upgrading. But instead we have threads about Mavics falling from the sky and they usually are brand new Mavics. We can thus reasonably deduce either the latch on the Mavic is faulty, or the DJI battery has a faulty clip. Or this could all just be a coincidence and we have 3 users who made the same rookie mistake, but 95% sure it's not the firmware.

@Robbyg, my counterpart, can more than likely confirm this.
with all respect of your knowlege, which i do have !
it looks like it has somthing to do with the firmware, and by getting all the information
you can start drow a line of how to recreate this BUG.

i sew 6 other cases in past 3 days on FB.
it could be a bach related
it could be fw
it could be first flight .550 update related
or all together

the power drop is not the couse ! nor the battery.
it is chain of events.

i really do hope we can gather all the information from all crashes
serial number
fw
number of flight after fw update and before
battery serial number
flight mode
etc....

it looks like it has somthing to do with the firmware, and by getting all the information

it could be fw
or all together

it is chain of events.

serial number
fw
battery serial number
flight mode
etc....
Given recent data, I wouldn't rule out FW either. I'm sort of scared to fly my Mavic now. It's on .600.

I am on .600 with my Mavic Pro, built on November 16, 2016. Already logged 6 flights. No issues.

Hi all,

So, day 2 with my brand new Mavic. Flew it yesterday with no issues - firmware updates were fine. kept it low to begin with. 2 flights this afternoon were fine. Then, at about 6, I took it out with a mate who was flying a P3. I had mine up for about a minute - RTH was set, good connection - then the app started dropping in and out of connection and before I could bring it back, it dropped like a stone, onto concrete. I was flying with the gimbal cover on, which has (hopefully) absorbed most of the impact. the cover was totally smashed. Cosmetic damage to the top and underside.

I was flying with a Samsung S7 edge as my screen. I have a second, identical phone which I switched to and tested fine. When I re-installed the app on the original phone, once again it was fine. I've taken it out for a test flight and all seems to be functioning. Flight log is here:

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I'd appreciate any thoughts before I raise this with DJi. I understand there are issues with the android app but I was also under the impression that if the drone lost connectivity with the controller, it would wither hover or RTH.

Sincerely,

Gutted from Gloucester!
Try using iPhone, I had same disconnection with android devices which I used but didn't have any problems using iPhone.

Reactions: dsmpampis
I've had a defective mavic back in january. The battery would clip in effortlessly. With my replacement mavic i accidentslly had 2 flights where i realized that the battery was not clipped in at all and that i had to apply a good amount of force to clip it in. Definitely a change from the previous mavic

it could be fw
or all together

it is chain of events.

serial number
fw
battery serial number
flight mode
etc....

I think you should also take into account the skill level of the pilot. In the majority of crashes I have read, they are mostly new users.

I think you should also take into account the skill level of the pilot. In the majority of crashes I have read, they are mostly new users.

Yes there is a lot to learn and I don't mean just knowing how to fly but understanding all the settings and how they work for any given situation. I still learn a few things every week.

So many new Mavics crash or get lost because so many pilots refuse to take baby steps!

Kind of reminds me of that Vietnam war movie quote spoken when a fresh recruit is not paying attention and walks into a booby trap. Another soldier turns around and says: "If he had only lived a few more days he might have learned something"

Rob

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
I saw a vid here recently from someone complaining about poor battery seating. From what I saw they just dropped the batt in then roughly pushed down only relying on the three legs to support the body. Over time that will lead to worn body and tabs.
I hold the body and press the batt in, listening and looking for a proper clip in.
Only my observation as a newbie but I won't treat my drone like that.

just read through all 4 pages and very nervous about taking my new purchase out today......

My build date: Your Mavic Pro (08QDE3M01203CP) was manufactured on Tuesday, March, 21st 2017

Had no flights yet, still in its factory state. Firmware is still on an early one as they advised me not to upgrade as I needed an unlock doing, and they wouldn't be able to do it if I upgraded (I now believe the 0600 they can also unlock)

So today the craft will be staying low and near until I am sure things are good. for the battery I always hold the belly and press the battery in firmly. I am now thinking, would it be wise to use something like a thin Velcro strap around the body and the battery just as added protection?

Sorry to hear about your dropouts guys, and I really hope DJI sort this mess out. I moved from the Blade 350 to DJI, and I must admit, customer services at Blade were superb, especially the UK side.

I saw a vid here recently from someone complaining about poor battery seating. From what I saw they just dropped the batt in then roughly pushed down only relying on the three legs to support the body. Over time that will lead to worn body and tabs.
I hold the body and press the batt in, listening and looking for a proper clip in.
Only my observation as a newbie but I won't treat my drone like that.

Do you have a link for that video?

Do you have a link for that video?
I have seen that video also!!, the guy just pushed from the top of the battery (i think with the palm of his hand) and the Mavic was on the soft arm of a chair/sofa. The moment I saw it I was thinking that I wouldn't be doing that.

I always grip the body of the Mavic underneath and then push the battery in, simple really!!!

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
You mentioned that you had the gimbal protection during the flight. It shouldnt be on since it blocks the air intake cooling the electronics. Could it be that Overheating damaged something?

You mentioned that you had the gimbal protection during the flight. It shouldnt be on since it blocks the air intake cooling the electronics. Could it be that Overheating damaged something?
The cover doesn't cause overheating. I don't see why everyone thinks this.

The cover doesn't cause overheating. I don't see why everyone thinks this.

I agree it typically does not cause overheating but since the summer is coming up I think people should reevaluate that when the Amb temperatures starts getting up into the high 90's. The cover does cause an increase in temp by several degrees, could be a problem on a very hot day.

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580