DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Delaware usa

Got one here.

Hey there, buddy. Welcome to the club. I'm located downstate, on the Indian River near the bay. Can't wait until the warm weather sticks. Makes flying in Delaware a lot more fun. Enjoy today. It's slipping back into the 30s and 40s on Sunday.

Take it easy. Talk with you later.

Reactions: Mavic19963
Are there lots of places for you to fly here in Delaware or too many restrictions you can't fly anywhere we made a pretty big purchase I would like to be able to fly it

Sent from my VS995 using MavicPilots mobile app

Are there lots of places for you to fly here in Delaware or too many restrictions you can't fly anywhere we made a pretty big purchase I would like to be able to fly it

Sent from my VS995 using MavicPilots mobile app

Yes, you're right. The Mavic Pro IS quite an investment to make, financially and with the time it takes to really learn it and get the most out of it. But it is tremendously worth it.

However, I'm happy to tell you that, YES, there are many places for you to fly legal here in the State and without any worry, too. You only have to obey the basic FAA rules, that's all.

A little history: The latest FAA guidelines of August 29, 2016 regarding drones are, to me at least, clear and understandable and very easy to work with. Others, however, still feel that they aren't clear enough and are prone to interpretation, which they sometimes are by local law enforcement officials who are unaware of the rights given to drone pilots by the FAA and who are also totally unaccustomed to dealing with this issue. But here in Delaware some interesting things recently happened.

Some of the beach resort towns downstate where I live (near Rehoboth Beach) recently tried passing town ordinances and laws prohibiting drones from being flown in their town's airspace. But Delaware stepped in and said the State owned the airspace, not the towns, so every town backed down and withdrew their drone bans except for Bethany Beach. However, the FAA never said it agreed with Delaware's claim to the State's airspace; they insist they are in control of it instead.

So I follow the FAA regs to the letter, and I intend on enjoying all of the rights I have to fly my drone wherever I want to accordingly. I flew my Mavic for about 90 minutes yesterday in Rehoboth Beach, filming the town, the commercial oceanside boardwalk area, and the sand and surf, with no problems. Same with Lewes a few days ago. There are many farmlands, rivers and marshes and other natural places to fly over and photograph or film in Delaware, as well as industrial areas that would make for good filming, too. I have flown in several of the State Parks often, but I recently read where they supposedly prohibit drones in the entire Park system. However, I've flown directly in front of Park Rangers prior to reading that and have never been told not to. Again, I think it's because Delaware has come out and said no one or no entity can ban drones from enjoying the 400' airspace the FAA has allowed for us to fly in. And while it is illegal to fly a drone in any U.S. National Park, I've seen no such bans with National Wildlife Refuges, known for drawing photographers year round and especially during bird migration season. We have 2 such NWRs in Delaware: Bombay Hook to the north and Prime Hook, here in the southern part of the State. I've flown in Prime Hook several times, taking off within eyesight of the Park Office and have never had a problem

My understanding is drone pilots have access to that 400' airspace and to deny them that access is a violation of their rights. With that in mind, you obviously must use some basic common sense while flying, too. Hovering your drone 35' in the air over a sunbathing neighbor 3 houses down the street from you obviously is NOT cool or legal (flying over someone violates FAA regs and invasion of privacy would come into play.) But if you are 150' in the air and you happen to fly over that same house, that is not a problem and you have legal access to that airspace. At that height you pose no imminent danger to anyone and are not violating their privacy, either.

One final thought: the compactness and ease of setting up the Mavic for a flight makes it even easier to get a flight in wherever you go. You don't have to assemble anything, attach props, nothing. Just take it out, unfold it, find a suitable launch site (bring a launch pad with you to keep your Mavic clean of dust and debris while taking off and landing), connect your controller and phone, and you are flying in a matter of a few minutes. Very subtle, very discreet. It does not have to draw a lot of attention.

Those are my thoughts to your question. I hope I cleared things up for you. Have you had your Mavic long and been able to get it up in the air often? Spring is coming fast and better flying weather will soon be here. FYI: Your battery will last MUCH longer during warm weather. I've flown my Mavic in the 20s, and battery life was noticeably cut. But yesterday with temps in the 70s, my 4 flights each lasted more than 22 minutes and I returned on each flight with 30% of battery power left. (You don't want to drain your LiPo batteries in your drone. It places a strain on them and seriously cuts their life and recharge cycle abilities.)

Good luck and good flying. Catch you later.

Hi everyone! i live in Kent county and would love some pointers on my Mavic, that just came in yesterday! I have my 107 and am looking for some tips and tricks. Hope to meet you guys soon.
-Waylon

Hi everyone! i live in Kent county and would love some pointers on my Mavic, that just came in yesterday! I have my 107 and am looking for some tips and tricks. Hope to meet you guys soon.
-Waylon

Hey, there. Welcome to the Forum. I'm just one county below you, in Sussex. For some great quick tips and pointers with your Mavic, let me point out that there are MANY posts and threads already in this Forum with vital information on everything Mavic, from updating firmware to flying tips and on to aircraft diagnosis. To find them, all you have to do is click the magnifying glass on the Forum page located in the upper right hand side of your screen. Type in what you're looking for a bunch of related posts will pop up.

Also, it is VERY important that you take the time to fully digest the Mavic online manual - keeping an eye out for the little details hidden here and there that usually trip people up - and definitely take the time to spend quite a few hours watching the countless videos that are out there via YouTube strictly about the Mavic if you haven't already. There is a plethora of videos to choose from, and you'll find the ones that are most relevant, including DJI's own tutorial videos you should watch. Keep an eye out for Captain Drone's video tips and tutorials especially. That guy to the north of us in Canada always knows what he is talking about.

Besides that, you can always post here with a question that you can't find an existing answer for already. There are many great people here who really know their stuff and a select few whose opinions you can truly count on. Just read the posts for awhile. You'll see who to listen to.

Other than that, just let me add DO NOT FLY YOUR MAVIC INDOORS!! Please resist that temptation, despite what you may see or read about what others have done. It almost always ends badly, for the pilot and for the Mavic.

Good luck and go slow and easy climbing up the Mavic ladder. It's a great flying machine filled with neat features and abilities, but its systems must be fully understood to maximize their benefit, safety and effectiveness. Always stay well within YOUR comfort zone as you go along. Err on the side of caution and logic whenever faced with a problem, whether in the air or noodling around with your gear at home.

I'm not a Mavic wizard, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have, too. What I don't know the answer to I will farm out to more knowledgeable others for a solution. Be safe, be smart, and be happy flying what I think is easily one of the best drones you could have invested in. Talk with you later.

Question, i am looking for some good spots to film. I am under the impression that beaches are a no fly zone. bc they are state maintained. Is there any truth to this? I am a 107 holder and am extremely cautious, do to NOT wanting a fine. Id love to get some good shots in the beach areas, including the coast and in town.
Thanks for the help!
-Waylon

Question, i am looking for some good spots to film. I am under the impression that beaches are a no fly zone. bc they are state maintained. Is there any truth to this? I am a 107 holder and am extremely cautious, do to NOT wanting a fine. Id love to get some good shots in the beach areas, including the coast and in town.
Thanks for the help!
-Waylon

Several beach towns - down my way in the beach resorts of Sussex County - recently tried to ban drones in their airspaces in Delaware, but the State shot them all down claiming it had authority over the airspace in Delaware, not the state's individual towns or locales. However, I don't believe the FAA agrees with that based on their rulings affecting drones and drone pilots in August 2016. I am certain it would claim authority of the airspace, over and above Delaware's claim.

The ONLY beach resort town sticking to their guns is Bethany Beach, DE, but I am sure their position would not be upheld by anyone other than perhaps the misguided police officers within that town's limits following the equally misinformed Town Council's ridiculous public stance. One vocal councilwoman projected the misconception to the public that drone pilots routinely hazardously fly 55 lb drones in and around the town, which is pure fantasy.

Delaware currently has NO drone laws on its books that make finding proper, safe, FAA-compliant places to fly hard or impossible to find. Just comply with the FAA regs, don't fly over crowds, etc., and for the most part you are good to go. The state-maintained beaches may be a different matter. I have flown numerous times in state parks (which those beaches are considered to be) right in front of park rangers and never had a problem. However, I later understood that the state park system does not allow drone flying; however, that may not be the case in light of the State's position on not curtailing drone pilot's access to the first 400' of airspace. Plus, that stipulation is NOT among any of the state parks do's and don'ts I've seen IN WRITING, as they are supposed to be in order to be enforceable by the appropriate law enforcement agency.

Obviously you want to be in full FAA compliance ALWAYS at all times, i.e., having your aircraft properly identified and FAA registered, carry your certificates and registrations with you with when flying, and so on. That's a given, and although following all FAA regs and guidelines will curtail some of the shots and images you WISH you could get, going against the FAA regs is a BIG no no in my book. So, be ready to compromise and to be imaginative, and get the shots you want while always flying legal and regal. You won't regret doing this.

And when you do fly, do the rest of us a favor and try to be gentle and informative to the folks who WILL approach you just as you get your drone in the air. Take a few minutes to tell them a little bit about what you are doing, perhaps show them your aircraft, let them know you are properly registered/certified and are piloting your drone in accordance with all FAA regs and guidelines, and help to demystify the whole concept of drones to them while you have their attention.

A little bit of goodwill and common courtesy is what every drone pilot should be ready and willing to offer to the public these days, for the overall good of all drone pilots everywhere and for our shared common interests and future goals.

That's my advice to you, buddy. Good luck. And let me know if I can be of any further help to you, assuming I have helped you out here at all! Safe flying and welcome to the club!

I'm from Delaware as well (Camden, Kent County). I've been flying the Phantom series since 2014, but decided to swap out my Phantom 3 for a Mavic Pro that's coming in today.

Reactions: CC Rider
Welcome to both of you two gents new to the Mavic Forum and this fantastic drone! Happy and safe flying to you both!

Hi there- just saw this group today. Is this fairly active? Would love to join if so. I live just north of the C&D canal near Lums Pond. Which by the way, I have been informed has banned drones. I am fully FAA registered and will also be taking the Part 107 test soon to get commercially certified. Just returned from a Florida vacation and brought the Mavic with me for the first time on a plane. No issues whatsoever. Happy flying!

Hi there- just saw this group today. Is this fairly active? Would love to join if so. I live just north of the C&D canal near Lums Pond. Which by the way, I have been informed has banned drones. I am fully FAA registered and will also be taking the Part 107 test soon to get commercially certified. Just returned from a Florida vacation and brought the Mavic with me for the first time on a plane. No issues whatsoever. Happy flying!
Hi there
I'm always looking for others to meet up with. I'm up in North Wilmington but currently at the Delcastle recreation park deciding whether or not to fly here.

Nice day to fly. Careful, you are just barely outside the Wilmington Airport cone Class D airspace, but still inside the airspace for Christiana Hospital. Interested in meeting somewhere for lunch or something and sharing some stories, notes?

Nice day to fly. Careful, you are just barely outside the Wilmington Airport cone Class D airspace, but still inside the airspace for Christiana Hospital. Interested in meeting somewhere for lunch or something and sharing some stories, notes?
Where are you located?

Hey, I'l be visiting relatives in Delaware City in a few weeks, was hoping to clarify what I'll be allowed to do with my Mavic while there. I've found both this:
Delaware Drone Laws (2017) -
and, of course, this thread. FAA pre-emption is still... an open area of discussion, everywhere, though I can see the reasoning applied by others on the thread. I was interested to note the little bit here from the above link:
An unmanned aircraft system that is being used for a commercial or other purpose if the operator is authorized by the Federal Aviation Administration."​
... which re-removes many of the previous restrictions (though not on the state parks) for "commercial or other purpose". I have a Part 107 license, so I can fly "commercially" anytime I choose to use those rules.

So, my real question - suppose I assume that the state parks rule is not pre-empted by the FAA, does anyone know what the lines are for the Fort Delaware park? The info page just has a point on the map, so I'm not sure if they're claiming the water around the island in addition to the island. That fort's a lot of fun to visit, but I figured it'd be fun to grab some footage from the shore in Delaware City without having to take the ferry. Any thoughts?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka