DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dense Fog, Took advantage of the scariness!

Jake Galloway

Reactions
Took a road trip to the shore this weekend hoping to get some nice footage, but was instead greeted with some heavy fog. 93% humidity wasn't going to turn me away. The Mavic handled it like a champ, with beads of water dropping off of it post flight.

Reactions: erkme73 and 3idcrow
Wow, that looks awesome shot in the fog. As a side note, when I flew in fog my RTH malfunctioned. I think the forward vision detection thought the fog was an obstacle and tried to avoid it because it just shot up to 400 ft (have RTH altitude set to 140 ft which I was slightly under, so should have gone to 140 ft then returned). It was a freak out moment since the whole reason I hit RTH was I was disoriented in the fog (both on screen and lost line of site) and couldn't figure out which way to fly (newbie mistake not to switch to map view), so the last thing I needed was it flying off. Luckily I cancelled RTH immediately then regained my bearings. I was surprised how wet it was after wards. Doesn't feel wet standing in it, but flying 40mph through it is another story :).

Last edited:
Wow, that looks awesome shot in the fog. As a side not, when I flew in fog my RTH malfunctioned. I think the forward vision detection thought the fog was an obstacle and tried to avoid it because it just shot up to 400 ft (have RTH altitude set to 140 ft which I was slightly under, so should have gone to 140 ft then returned). It was a freak out moment since the whole reason I hit RTH was I was disoriented in the fog (both on screen and lost line of site) and couldn't figure out which way to fly (newbie mistake not to switch to map view), so the last thing I needed was it flying off. Luckily I cancelled RTH immediately then regained my bearings. I was surprised how wet it was after wards. Doesn't feel wet standing in it, but flying 40mph through it is another story :).

Yeah I definitely wouldn't recommend it! My front cameras were soaked, and it was a little sketchy not being able to see land on the flight back. But I certainly didn't drive 2 hours only to scrub it[emoji23]. I'm glad everything worked out for you lol

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: rfc0001
Jake, how do you do a nice smooth circular orbit around the wreck like that ?

I was debating on whether or not to use the POI function, but decided manually do it in case something went wrong. If you hold both of the stick outward, the craft will roll right and rotate at the same time. You can also point the sticks inward to orbit in the opposite direction. You want to modulate them, the slower you go, the more cinematic it will look. :)

Reactions: Correy and rfc0001
I was debating on whether or not to use the POI function, but decided manually do it in case something went wrong. If you hold both of the stick outward, the craft will roll right and rotate at the same time. You can also point the sticks inward to orbit in the opposite direction. You want to modulate them, the slower you go, the more cinematic it will look. :)

Your orbit looked as good as - if not better than - the POI function in the Go 4 app. But, don't hesitate to play with it. It's very powerful. Not only is it silky smooth, but you can manipulate the orbit speed, height and radius all while it's circling. Further, the screen displays how many seconds for a full rotation at the current speed. It really does allow for more creativity and 'multi-tasking' that you can't do as a single operator/cameraman. Practice it (if you haven't already). It's put the spice back into my flying experience.

Your orbit looked as good as - if not better than - the POI function in the Go 4 app. But, don't hesitate to play with it. It's very powerful. Not only is it silky smooth, but you can manipulate the orbit speed, height and radius all while it's circling. Further, the screen displays how many seconds for a full rotation at the current speed. It really does allow for more creativity and 'multi-tasking' that you can't do as a single operator/cameraman. Practice it (if you haven't already). It's put the spice back into my flying experience.

Thanks for the compliment! Every flight I embark on, I set off with the hopes of playing around with the in-flight functions, yet I never seem to actually use them because I love physically manipulating the controls too much! Hopefully I'll get around to it once the weather clears a bit.

Reactions: erkme73
What audio did you use? I liked the that Eerie effect it gave!

Correy Miller

POI ? Man, with 50 flights (and crap winter weather) I can't get enough stick time to play with all of the stuff ! I played with the tracker function today a bit but now I am going to play with both the POI and Jakes stick movements. I would like to be good with both ways to do that. Great orbit ! I love this TOY !

What audio did you use? I liked the that Eerie effect it gave!

Correy Miller

I find its best to search for copyright free songs on youtube and just use them. I think I searched for "royalty free horror" or something along those lines.

POI ? Man, with 50 flights (and crap winter weather) I can't get enough stick time to play with all of the stuff ! I played with the tracker function today a bit but now I am going to play with both the POI and Jakes stick movements. I would like to be good with both ways to do that. Great orbit ! I love this TOY !

Thank you! Once you do it once you'll pick up on it pretty easily. The benefit with doing it yourself over using the POI function is that you can adjust your orbit. So in this case it was more of an oval to span the course of the wreck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61