DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DGI Goggles vs Epson Moverio BT-300

Ordered mine this morning from Amazon for the same reason. I'm pretty confident that the BT-300's will fit my needs better than the DJI Goggles. I'll miss the immersion and the head tracking, but wont miss the bulk and the need for a spotter. As long as the image is clear in bright sunlight and I can toggle off the video (video mute), I'll be happy. I also have aging eyesight, and wear glasses, so fingers crossed. With the DJI Goggles, I had to buy some strong readers (which I don't need for anything else). The Avegant Glyph has diopter adjustments, which worked well. Hoping I can just wear my glasses with the BT-300, or get prescriptions for the inserts (worst case).
Oh yeah - I forgot about the video toggle feature. That will be super helpful. Tilting the goggles up and down never feels very secure to me. Being able to double tap to turn the video feed on and off will be excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maisum
I got my glasses today and even got home from work in time to try them out but... it's raining here in Charlotte. Doh!

I've put them on in the house and connected to the Mavic. Very nice so far! The image is blurry for me on the edges of the screen though. Crystal clear in the middle and up to the outer 10% or so of the frame and then things get blurry and doubled up. I think the issue is that my eyes don't line up perfectly with the prisms which is a bummer. They should've included a mechanism to adjust the distance of the prisms from each other.

I guess I can go to an optometrist and get corrective lenses inserted to adjust for this? But dang... I've already spent $800 on these things so this is starting to get insulting. LOL! I tried using my readers that I have for my goggles and that made it WAY worse so that's not the issue. Pretty sure it's the distance of my pupils from one another.

They should've included a mechanism to adjust the distance of the prisms from each other.
Yikes! Thats a bummer.. Hope you get it figured out. Even DJI Goggles and the Avegant Glyph have that feature. Mine arrive tomorrow (fingers crossed). I'm glad I ordered through Amazon, cuz they are going back if I have any issues. How is the image clarity compared to the DJI Goggles?

Also, did they come with the Rochester Optical sun shield, or just the two by Epson?

Yikes! Thats a bummer.. Hope you get it figured out. Even DJI Goggles and the Avegant Glyph have that feature. Mine arrive tomorrow (fingers crossed). I'm glad I ordered through Amazon, cuz they are going back if I have any issues. How is the image clarity compared to the DJI Goggles?

Also, did they come with the Rochester Optical sun shield, or just the two by Epson?
I think mine came with just two shades although one of them was in a blue bag and is very dark so maybe I just missed one in there somewhere. It's gloomy and rainy here so it wasn't the right time to mess around with those. I'll check again shortly and let you know.

The image quality is excellent in my opinion. It's on par with the Goggles to me.

I have a feeling these are going to be my go-to way of flying honestly. The track pad/cursor is THE way to go for me. I much prefer it to the goggles UI and it's far better than looking down at my iPad mini.

As far as immersion I'd put it somewhere between using an iPad mini and using the goggles. At least that's just based on firing up the app and navigating around the menu's and settings and what not. But the screen is nice and large.

The huge plus is obviously being able to see the world around you as well as the Go4 app as well.

The double tap to mute (toggle the screen on/off) function was spotty for me. I couldn't get it to work every time. It's honestly easier to just look over or under your glasses than trying to use this feature. At least until they get it to work faster and more reliably.

I hope to fly it in the morning. I'll post more after that. So far my impressions are high even with the blurry outer edges due to the fixed width of the prisms.

Not sure if you already saw this, but I found another thread that discusses the issue you are having.

EPSON Moverio BT-300 Review Starting at post #333
Thanks. Reading all the info now. It sounds like I may be able to get custom lenses put into the frames they sent to help remediate the issue.

I've definitely determined that my left pupil isn't quite wide enough to sit directly over the prism. I can wedge the glasses over my left eye (but then the right eye has issues) and see things very well through that eye only.

I've also learned that if I close my left eye that I can everything perfectly clearly which will be a workaround to reading certain menus that are in the fringes of the screen. I'll also look into getting custom lenses to solve the issue.

Ya, that's what I suspected. We're past the promo timeframe that included the extra shields. I've heard good things about them. If I keep the BT300, I plan to order it directly: BT-300 Sun Shield » Rochester Optical
Agree. If you go in that other thread that you linked me too I'm also planning on contacting Rochester about their frame inserts (BT-300 Frame Insert » Rochester Optical) as it sounds like this might address the pupillary distance issue. It's an expensive solution but probably worth it based on what I'm seeing with these glasses so far.

Yes, I saw your post. :) It sounds like that will solve the problem, and will probably be the best solution. I will probably do the same... we'll see. Please keep us posted.

Reactions: Turnerm
I just ordered the Moverios from Amazon. Should be here on Tuesday. I also have the DJI Goggles and while I love them I can also see the appeal of the Moverios.

I'll try them out and see how they compare for me personally vs the goggles.
Yes , I would like to know because I to just got my DJI goggles and was wanting the BT300 but from what I saw online I just could not see spending the coin for them. But I am still interested on pros and cons.

I've tried almost every goggles there are and haven't been satisfied with any of them. The big problem is I have to wear glasses. I just sold my Glyphs, they weren't bad as you can see above and below the screen and I could get them to focus about 90% of the way without glasses but then without glasses I couldn't look down and read the Ipad. They weren't comfortable wearing glasses and wouldn't sit right on my face. I have the DJI Goggles now and I had to mount 4+ readers in them to see the screen and I love the head tracking but I fly under 107 and unless I have a spotter I can't use them "legally". Before I spend another $800 on goggles I'd have to try them first and be 110% happy with them where I can see the screen, the quad, and the Ipad.

I've tried almost every goggles there are and haven't been satisfied with any of them. The big problem is I have to wear glasses. I just sold my Glyphs, they weren't bad as you can see above and below the screen and I could get them to focus about 90% of the way without glasses but then without glasses I couldn't look down and read the Ipad. They weren't comfortable wearing glasses and wouldn't sit right on my face. I have the DJI Goggles now and I had to mount 4+ readers in them to see the screen and I love the head tracking but I fly under 107 and unless I have a spotter I can't use them "legally". Before I spend another $800 on goggles I'd have to try them first and be 110% happy with them where I can see the screen, the quad, and the Ipad.
I think the Moverios are likely what you are looking for. But the price point is a bit off-putting for sure. They have inserts that you can get some prescription lenses made for and that would almost certainly solve your issue AND give you the ability to maintain VLOS and see what you need to from your drone. The only thing lacking thus far (IMHO) is head tracking.

I'm waiting on a call back from Rochester Optical to see if their frame insert will solve the issue of the fixed pupillary distance or not. The first person I talked to said that it SHOULD but she wanted me to talk to someone who would know for sure. I left him a message and I'm waiting to hear back.

I'm guessing that Epson had a legitimate reason for not making the prism widths adjustable but it certainly seems like a glaring oversight (pun intended).

I wear glasses too (Aging eyes) normally. With my Glyphs, I can get away with the max settings on the diopter adjustment. With the DJI Goggles, I am using a pair of cheap readers (3.25). I also have the ones that can be mounted (Velcro) on the inside, but have not tried them yet. As you, I also fly under 107 and prefer to stay 'legal'. My Moverio BT300's arrive today... I'm anxious to see how they work. I am hopeful, but I felt the same about the Glyph's and the DJI Goggles. So we'll see.

I already have buyers lined up for my Goggles, if I actually sell them.

I'm waiting on a call back from Rochester Optical to see if their frame insert will solve the issue of the fixed pupillary distance or not.

Do they need your normal prescription, or one that is tailored to the focal distance of the Moverio's?

Do they need your normal prescription, or one that is tailored to the focal distance of the Moverio's?
This isn't clear to me yet. I don't even have a prescription for glasses as my vision is 20/20. I use readers with my goggles because I can't focus with the image so close to my face but other than that I do not need glasses at all.

As best I can tell, the Rochester frame inserts attempt to solve the fixed prism width issue that most people have with the glasses because they ask for you to get a prescription that provides your pupillary distance. But they've have to work a little magic in order to make things line up properly...

This isn't clear to me yet. I don't even have a prescription for glasses as my vision is 20/20. I use readers with my goggles because I can't focus with the image so close to my face but other than that I do not need glasses at all.

As best I can tell, the Rochester frame inserts attempt to solve the fixed prism width issue that most people have with the glasses because they ask for you to get a prescription that provides your pupillary distance. But they've have to work a little magic in order to make things line up properly...

I received my Movario's today. I do wear glasses, and can use my prescription computer glasses with the Movario's. Even then they had some blurry edges/corners, so I used the ADB trick described in this post: EPSON Moverio BT-300 Review Post#335 I went with 1160x720 and it worked well for me.

No flights yet, but so far I'm impressed.

I received my Movario's today. I do wear glasses, and can use my prescription computer glasses with the Movario's. Even then they had some blurry edges/corners, so I used the ADB trick described in this post: EPSON Moverio BT-300 Review Post#335 I went with 1160x720 and it worked well for me.

No flights yet, but so far I'm impressed.
Good deal. I'm not quite ready to compromise on the resolution yet. I've got an appointment with an eye doctor tomorrow and I'm going to see if getting the inserts from Rochester Optical does the trick for me. It's an expensive test but heck - I'm already in deep with my new hobby so what's another $200 right? LOL!!

So - I just did my first test flight and these are definitely going to be a keeper for me. Even with the slightly blurry edges (which I'm sure I'll solve with the inserts or the ADB resolution trick) it's far superior to using an iPad mini and it's much more convenient than the massive DJI Goggles. The only benefits that the goggles have over the Moverios to me is that the immersion is better and it's wireless. But the massive size and "look at me" factor offset the wireless feature for me personally.

I think the Moverio interface with the GUI is better than the goggles. I like having full access to everything in the Go4 app which you do not have with the goggles.

It's overcast here this evening but I went ahead and used the darkest shades that were provided. I liked this a lot. Super clear and crisp picture no matter where I looked (even into the bright white clouds). The lighter shades are kinda pointless. Tried them and they didn't improve the video projection versus using no shades so... a waste for me. Being able to see the drone THROUGH the picture isn't that important to me. And if you're using the darkest shades with the brightness turned all the way up then you're not going to be able to see the drone through the video projection. Or at least you're not going to see it well enough to matter. These glasses are small enough that I can VERY easily look over or under the glasses without doing anything other than shifting my eyes. For instance (and I should've taken a video) I took off from my deck which is relatively tight because I have only about a 4 foot radius of clearing between the deck, the railing, the house, and a tree overhanging the deck in which to take off from. So I like to keep an eye on the drone while doing this. I could easily do this with the glasses on while also glancing back and forth from the screen to the "outside world." I also dropped down into my yard and put it in tripod mode to test out the immersion to see how comfortable I was at flying in a relatively tight spot (lots of overhanging tree branches). The immersion of the goggles allows me to do this more confidently but the Moverios are still more immersive than an iPad mini so I still felt comfortable doing this. And if I get nervous I could easily glance at my drone (over/under the glasses or through the glasses if it was outside of the video projection).

I'm going to continue testing them. Hopefully I'll get some bright sunlight soon to really test them out. But so far these will be my go-to option. I'm debating whether or not to keep the goggles at this point. I really DO like the goggles so I'm hesitant to get rid of them but I'm not sure how often I'll actually use them either.

I did have a few odd things happen however.

First - the video stream was extremely pixelated at first (before taking off). I shutdown the app and started over and this mostly solved it but the stream was still slightly pixelated all the way through takeoff and until I got about 15 feet away and then it cleared up. I have not seen this on my Android phone or my iPad mini.

Second - The icon for my controller (on the screen - at the top) blinked most of the way through my flight. I've never seen this. Then it stopped blinking but the HD signal started blinking. I had full bars on both during the blinking so it was perplexing. Nothing seemed to be acting up in any way but the blinking is a bit unsettling as it indicates to me that something is wrong.

My overall thoughts - I'm super impressed. It's not perfect. But it's close enough for me to use it extensively.

Reactions: mikesher
Seems that the blinking RC and HD icons are supposed to indicate interference. I've never had this before. It also seems (based on the DJI forums) that it's not consistent and/or always meaningful. So unless it starts affecting my flight or range then I'm just going to try to ignore it. But a blinking light is hard to ignore!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61