DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Diappointed in Mavic

i bought it for similar reasons... i think Mavic performs well to make short clips. Yes, if you are riding alone, it will be a PITA. But there is no perfect product, if you want to ride and downhill fluently, you cannot be paying attention to the drone (at least for me, if I pay attention to other things, that leads me to crash in the bike).

And if you want to create a great video, you have to go to the mountain with that in mind because you MUST pay attention to the drone, whatever it is flying in intelligent modes or not.

There is an option to track your phones GPS as well. Not sure how well that works though.

I've had my Mavic for a couple weeks now and I'm a bit disappointed. It is a great quad and its super easy to fly, but the main reason I purchased it was for use with mountain biking and its following capability.

Mavic has two follow modes: active track and follow me.

Active track works ok if you have no obstructions, shadows, descending elevations and you present a strong contrast with your surroundings. But this is not really practical for mountain biking. Problems:

1. Active track can be done in wifi mode, but only in a follow orientation. It doesn't do profile or other following modes. Wifi mode is really the only way to do active track as carrying the transmitter with the phone attached while riding is not practical.
2. When riding a mountain bike, you frequently turn. This presents differing profiles to the Mavic. Mavic frequently gets confused and looses you.
3. Mavic does not adjust altitude to match your elevation when you go downhill. So, the further you go downhill, the farther away you get from Mavic and the smaller you appear. The smaller you appear, the more likely Mavic will loose track of you.
4. Mavic doesn't track you very well when you make quick movements or drastic direction changes.
5. One of the coolest features of Mavic is terrain follow... but it does NOT work in conjunction with active track. WTF?

Bottom line is, active track is marginally reliable at best. Once it looses track, it is a PITA to stop the bike, take manual control and reacquire.

Follow me mode only works with the transmitter connected to a phone or gps device. It's impractical to carry the transmitter and a phone together while riding. Also, follow me mode sucks because it doesn't keep you in frame. It will follow your gps location from your phone, but you may be completely out of frame while it does so.

Summary, if you are getting Mavic for its many other features, you'll find that it is a spectacular aircraft. However, if you are getting it for its following capability... not so much.

Recommendations to DJI:

1. Make terrain follow and active track work together.
2. Update Mavic's flight algorithms to keep the subject in frame during follow me mode.
3. Provide a separate "leash" transmitter that can be purchased that makes Mavic perform like other follow me drones.
4. Allow wifi active track to track profile mode

Love the drone... just not for the reasons I bought it.
Im not sure if we are allowed to mention other products on here, but take a look at the AirDog and Lilly Camera. They seem to suit your needs better

Im not sure if we are allowed to mention other products on here, but take a look at the AirDog and Lilly Camera. They seem to suit your needs better
As far as I know, Lily camera isn't shipping. Air dog is a good alternative, but much more expensive and I've already invested in mav.

I agree that a puck style transmitter with a better algorithm would be nice. I bought it for snowboarding and I am taking it this weekend... We will see how well it does... I fully expect to get short clips of such things.

Active track & Follow me should have terrain follow incorporated. You probably wouldn't need terrain follow on its own at all.

I don't understand DJI's thinking in having it not follow downhill. I see no technical reason that it is not possible.

Reactions: Sam76
I've had my Mavic for a couple weeks now and I'm a bit disappointed. It is a great quad and its super easy to fly, but the main reason I purchased it was for use with mountain biking and its following capability.

Active track works ok if you have no obstructions, shadows, descending elevations and you present a strong contrast with your surroundings. But this is not really practical for mountain biking. Problems:

1. Active track can be done in wifi mode, but only in a follow orientation. It doesn't do profile or other following modes. Wifi mode is really the only way to do active track as carrying the transmitter with the phone attached while riding is not practical.
2. When riding a mountain bike, you frequently turn. This presents differing profiles to the Mavic. Mavic frequently gets confused and looses you.
3. Mavic does not adjust altitude to match your elevation when you go downhill. So, the further you go downhill, the farther away you get from Mavic and the smaller you appear. The smaller you appear, the more likely Mavic will loose track of you.
4. Mavic doesn't track you very well when you make quick movements or drastic direction changes.
5. One of the coolest features of Mavic is terrain follow... but it does NOT work in conjunction with active track. WTF?

Bottom line is, active track is marginally reliable at best. Once it looses track, it is a PITA to stop the bike, take manual control and reacquire.

Follow me mode only works with the transmitter connected to a phone or gps device. It's impractical to carry the transmitter and a phone together while riding. Also, follow me mode sucks because it doesn't keep you in frame. It will follow your gps location from your phone, but you may be completely out of frame while it does so.

Summary, if you are getting Mavic for its many other features, you'll find that it is a spectacular aircraft. However, if you are getting it for its following capability... not so much.

Recommendations to DJI:

2. Update Mavic's flight algorithms to keep the subject in frame during follow me mode.
3. Provide a separate "leash" transmitter that can be purchased that makes Mavic perform like other follow me drones.

I agree Jim, after trying to use follow me and active track I got frustrated and looked for another solution. I eventually went and purchased a used Blade Chroma 4k which has an awesome follow me mode which keeps the camera focused on the user automatically. Also to your point you can purchase a wizard wand which is a small 1 handed controller that you link to the Chroma which replaces the controller. I thought it was going to be gimicky but actually works really well. Just my 2 cents.

Dennis

Sent from my SM-N900T using MavicPilots mobile app

I bought it for the same reason and tbh only in open hills in Scotland would I use it because there are generally trees everywhere else near tracks. What we will be doing is using it to film short clips and cut together when out on the bikes so the portability is there for that and you will have a more interesting video but... you will have to stop more often and mess about and you need friends with you so it will be used less often.

I too would love to have a drone that could follow and produce better results but I think we are a while off that level of software and sensors.

You hit the nail on this one. I'm also a road/mtn biker and bought the Mavic to allow me a bit of self-filming during rides. I'm sure not flying it near trees and some other places that could not only crash the thing, but that would not necessarily make for "amazing" footage from the air (and that's why I bought an OSMO Mobile for, it's cool and allows incredible takes from the ground to mix with aerial footage). Anyway, I digress...

I'm well aware - and never expected otherwise - the active tracking capabilities to be 100% or even 50%. But it works OK and above all, the thing is portable. I can now take it with me anywhere to capture nice footage of the cool places I ride to show friends and watch occasionally to discover new perspectives of familiar places. Or to film friends during rides. All that was out of reach for me until the Mavic came out, I could never do any of that with my Phantoms because... well, everyone knows why LOL.

On the practical side, I've found a nice and cheap way to carry the controller + phone on a safe and easy-to-use location on the bike: a large stem-bag (these ones are from SERFAS, around $35 - Serfas: Stem Bags). The lid is magnetic and it's big enough to carry the whole thing assembled. It's soft-lined and I use a rubber band to wrap it up if things get bumpy. Also use a stick locker to be safe, fast and easy to manipulate the Tx if necessary even while riding (as long as it's not too technical of course).

PS.: Please don't take it as I'm knocking the OP because I'm not, in any way! Just sharing my opinion and personal experiences.

Active track & Follow me should have terrain follow incorporated. You probably wouldn't need terrain follow on its own at all.
I agree with this. Honestly, how many people believed retain follow did not work with active track based on the dji advertisement?

I agree with this. Honestly, how many people believed retain follow did not work with active track based on the dji advertisement?

Yep, and it wasn't until the first units started shipping to consumers that it became more clear. Can't say for sure but I don't remember seeing much about this even from the first reviewers. Anyway, who knows a future FW update allows this to happen? If the Mavic has the processing power in it then it's only a matter of time. Otherwise, we'll have to wait for MP2...

You hit the nail on this one. I'm also a road/mtn biker and bought the Mavic to allow me a bit of self-filming during rides. I'm sure not flying it near trees and some other places that could not only crash the thing, but that would not necessarily make for "amazing" footage from the air (and that's why I bought an OSMO Mobile for, it's cool and allows incredible takes from the ground to mix with aerial footage). Anyway, I digress...

I'm well aware - and never expected otherwise - the active tracking capabilities to be 100% or even 50%. But it works OK and above all, the thing is portable. I can now take it with me anywhere to capture nice footage of the cool places I ride to show friends and watch occasionally to discover new perspectives of familiar places. Or to film friends during rides. All that was out of reach for me until the Mavic came out, I could never do any of that with my Phantoms because... well, everyone knows why LOL.

On the practical side, I've found a nice and cheap way to carry the controller + phone on a safe and easy-to-use location on the bike: a large stem-bag (these ones are from SERFAS, around $35 - Serfas: Stem Bags). The lid is magnetic and it's big enough to carry the whole thing assembled. It's soft-lined and I use a rubber band to wrap it up if things get bumpy. Also use a stick locker to be safe, fast and easy to manipulate the Tx if necessary even while riding (as long as it's not too technical of course).

PS.: Please don't take it as I'm knocking the OP because I'm not, in any way! Just sharing my opinion and personal experiences.
Good info here. Can you tell me specifically which bag you used and which sick locker?

I really wish there was a way to lock it the sticks with the program.

Recommendations to DJI:

Hey Jim, check out the Lily drone. Supposedly pine will be shipped to me in January. My plan was to put it on eBay as the Mavic will better suit my needs. Do you ever do any water sports? Lily can be tossed from the water which is good for people who do kayaking and such. I doubt the camera or gimbal will be even close to Mavic but you do where a tracker on your wrist and it is specifically designed for use by outdoor enthusiasts.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: NoPro
Yeah would be perfect, though I've found it's OK as it is because I can get the controller and grab control of the AC pretty fast with this setup.

Can't tell for sure from the website pics because it's not here with me but I guess it's this one Serfas: LTN-STM2 Large Magnetic Non-Mesh Stem Bag. It has a microfiber interior lining and it's deep enough if you fold the antennas. Either way you can do as I said and use a rubber band or something to keep it "there" even if it's not completely covered for some reason. It's been working really fine for me, I hate stem bags (and seat bags also LOL) but I love this thing when I'm taking the Mavic with me :D

Oh, and it doesn't appear on videos from the top :p

PS.: The stick locker can be anyone, it's better if you use those with the screen protector because it's even more stable but any of those 3D printed types work too.

Don't be disappointed in the mavic. Be disappointed that you didn't do enough research to make sure it was the product for you. There are other options on the market that do what you were looking for. The mavic does exactly what dji has advertised it to do.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Kiss ***!

Reactions: Jayfly

Recommendations to DJI:

Buy Autopilot and use Airspace to have the Mavic follow your iPhone. If the phone is a 6 or better, it will signal subject elevation telling the Mavic to change its elevation etc. The controller would be held by a helper. Follow mode in Autopilot is great since it does not use pattern recognition to accomplish that.

Buy Autopilot and use Airspace to have the Mavic follow your iPhone. If the phone is a 6 or better, it will signal subject elevation telling the Mavic to change its elevation etc. The controller would be held by a helper. Follow mode in Autopilot is great since it does not use pattern recognition to accomplish that.

Will autopilot center the subject in the frame?
Hey Jim, check out the Lily drone. Supposedly pine will be shipped to me in January. My plan was to put it on eBay as the Mavic will better suit my needs. Do you ever do any water sports? Lily can be tossed from the water which is good for people who do kayaking and such. I doubt the camera or gimbal will be even close to Mavic but you do where a tracker on your wrist and it is specifically designed for use by outdoor enthusiasts.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Lily has already slid shipping dates several times. I have no confidence in that drone until it ships and I get feedback from the community.

When I first heard about active/track, follow me, watch me, on the Phantom 3 I was intrigued. I too mountain bike, road bike, ride Adventure motorcycles, Road-going motorcycles, and snow ride. I thought what an awesome feature and how cool would that be to get those amazing shots of me doing one of those activities. I did a lot of searches, read forums, and asked questions to see of this was a reality.

Well as you see and I learned way back then, to the degree you and I want, doesn't exist yet. The only place I've gotten any type of video of me riding was on a very flat place. Not very exciting. The tech to be able to this isn't too far behind.

No app that I've seen (and I have litchi) can do it well enough. The drones need to "see" better and be able to process the data faster.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000