DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did DJI just swap my broken drone with someone elses broken drone?

Addict

Reactions
Hey all,

Quick back story - sent my mavic in a month ago for really bad video (brand new out of box - warranty repair). They sent it back saying it was fixed and tested. Thing is, it is a completely different drone (different SN#). When I got it it showed a bunch of errors: firmware, sensors, compass. Even after upgrading the firmware what I think was 3 times (maybe it never finished, though it said it did?) and recalibrating the IMU (several times), the RC (twice), the Compass (4-5 times), and vision sensors (twice) using the crappy DJI Assistant 2 (as instructed), removing all of the errors on screen, the drone's video is fine, but the drone always acts like it is fighting wind when hovering - even with no wind.

The video issue was more pronounced in cold, and today it is 30 F degrees outside (about freezing) - not sure if cold effects this too, But I thought my old drone (even with bad video) hovered pretty solid - no movement, but it has been a month since I sent it in, so I am not sure if I am remembering correctly.

Does your mavic noticeably move around when hovering? Definitely noticeable when hovering (video slowly drifts back and forth, to and fro).

Did DJI really just take my brand new broken drone and send me someone elses broken drone?

Last edited:
Reactions: bradsandry
Did DJI really just take my brand new broken drone and send me someone elses broken drone?

Don't worry , they were both brand new broken drones .

Most all companies state in warranty "Either repair or replace " . I don't think they say with new unit .

Brand new, out of the box drone wouldn't go in for repair, it should be returned or exchanged where it was purchased.

No my Mavic does not visibly move around when hovering unless a really big wind gust hits it. I can see some very small movements if I bring it in close but nothing like what you describe.

As for your other question, I suspect DJI has now built up an inventory of repaired Mavics and is using them for warranty returns. A few months ago everyone was getting a brand new Mavic when they did a warranty return but now it seems like they are sending out refurbished units. If your not happy with it do a video clip showing the problems, upload it to a private link on YouTube and then send them an email with the Link and request a proper working replacement.

Rob

Brand new, out of the box drone wouldn't go in for repair, it should be returned or exchanged where it was purchased.
Probably so. I ordered it from Newegg and had been waiting for months for it - it showed up and I saw that it had a video issue on the first flight (it was cold out), but but didn't really notice it was an problem until it became cold again. I thought maybe it was just a firmware issue (or something) and contacted DJI, who eventually told me to send it in for inspection. I guess I could have gotten an RMA from Newegg - and probably should have (hindsight being 20/20). Whatever. It is done. Certainly didn't think I was going run into this issue - everyone was raving about the d@mn thing when I ordered it.

No my Mavic does not visibly move around when hovering unless a really big wind gust hits it. I can see some very small movements if I bring it in close but nothing like what you describe.

As for your other question, I suspect DJI has now built up an inventory of repaired Mavics and is using them for warranty returns. A few months ago everyone was getting a brand new Mavic when they did a warranty return but now it seems like they are sending out refurbished units. If your not happy with it do a video clip showing the problems, upload it to a private link on YouTube and then send them an email with the Link and request a proper working replacement.

Rob
Thank you Rob - that is what I thought. I have no breeze to a light breeze and it visibly moves around (I would say little movements are a few inches up to a foot in lateral movements) almost non-stop.

Last edited:
Just took it into the garage to get video with 'no breeze'. Start up and yet again, it wants me to update firmware due to 'inconsistent firmwares. Swipe to update' (Again, this is about the 4th or 5th time) So I do, and it says "Phantom 4 Updating". So along with the hovering issue, this is a drone with drone identity issues. I don't mind what it wants to call itself - hell I'm happy with it being 'drone neutral' or 'trans-drone'. None of my business. I just want it to do I what I paid for it to do.

This forum has some really touchy censorship settings. 'heck' can I replace the stars with heck? How about 'dang' or 'darn' or 'gosh'? Just testing here.

Last edited:
With them symtoms i would try an IMU cal.

With them symtoms i would try an IMU cal.
I will try another IMU calibration. I have done 4 of them now, but those were only after the first 4 firmware upgrades. Maybe this last one where it identifies as a Phantom 4, the IMU calibration will make it work properly.

You will get this for each drone+battery combination after an update, as the batteries also have software updates.
Ahhh... well that makes more sense than it did before. Still wonder about the "Phantom 4 Update" phrasing.

Well, do the serial numbers match? That would be the best indicator.
Kind of buried, but in my first post I indicated that it is a different Serial Number. There isn't a question - it is definitely a different drone. The question is why did they send me another broken drone?

I emailed them, and asked them about it (specifically asked if they sent me a broken refurb, or someone else's broken drone), and they said they couldn't be sure because according to their records, they only replaced the gimbal and returned my original drone to me. Still not getting a response on how they plan to remedy the problem.

Kind of buried, but in my first post I indicated that it is a different Serial Number. There isn't a question - it is definitely a different drone. The question is why did they send me another broken drone?

I emailed them, and asked them about it (specifically asked if they sent me a broken refurb, or someone else's broken drone), and they said they couldn't be sure because according to their records, they only replaced the gimbal and returned my original drone to me. Still not getting a response on how they plan to remedy the problem.
Wow, straight up lying to you because it is a different serial number, You know how Chinese companies always get crap for being cheap and unreliable.. Well we found the cheap and unreliable part of this Chinese company. Their products are great when they work but when you have to deal with them, The Made in China really shows..

Sorry, missed that part - yeah, that's deeply concerning as I'm getting a N-number for mine and it would suck to have to try and change the serial number on the registration.

Sorry, missed that part - yeah, that's deeply concerning as I'm getting a N-number for mine and it would suck to have to try and change the serial number on the registration.

Why on earth would you get an N number for a Mavic? Even if you plan on using it commercially you wouldn't need an N number.

But to the OP this will be of no help, DJI is known for making great drones but having horrible customer service.

I would attack from both angles, calling/Email and social media. Make a little video and post it all over their FB, Twitter and YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I'm not sure what this means...(N number?)

But to the OP this will be of no help, DJI is known for making great drones but having horrible customer service.

I would attack from both angles, calling/Email and social media. Make a little video and post it all over their FB, Twitter and YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I have made a video. Before making a fool of myself, I am out to check and see if the 'movement' is normal (within normal tolerances). I've read elsewhere that the mavic does drift on hovering (vertically and horizontally). I have noticed a few times right after a quick ascention it will drop by several feet. For example: taking off straight up to 50 feet and stop, it dropped down to 44 feet - on it's own (immediately after stopping the ascent). I need to learn more about it, because people are saying if it is in 'vision' mode it sways more?

I don't want to take more time sending it in again if all I am going to get back is the same thing or worse. It is frustrating because my original Mavic video was the worst I have ever seen (in any videos) but it seemed really solid flying, and hovering - it was sharp. That is why I am here asking for others experience.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what this means...(N number?)

It's the old-fashioned way of registering a UAS, to give it an airplane call sign like any other aircraft.

Why on earth would you get an N number for a Mavic? Even if you plan on using it commercially you wouldn't need an N number.

I'm close enough to Canada that I wanted to make sure I could take it across the border for jobs, plus recreationally it's a lot easier to just read off five characters to a tower controller than my FAA number.

I thought the same thing until I noticed the lil stickers and stuff. that is all, Frink out

Here is my video. If you aren't inclined to watch the entire video, check out starting @ the 7:12 mark (outside hovering) and 9:50 (inside hovering), and let me know if this is typical movement that should be expected. Thank you to everyone for your feedback!

Hey all,

Quick back story - sent my mavic in a month ago for really bad video (brand new out of box - warranty repair). They sent it back saying it was fixed and tested. Thing is, it is a completely different drone (different SN#). When I got it it showed a bunch of errors: firmware, sensors, compass. Even after upgrading the firmware what I think was 3 times (maybe it never finished, though it said it did?) and recalibrating the IMU (several times), the RC (twice), the Compass (4-5 times), and vision sensors (twice) using the crappy DJI Assistant 2 (as instructed), removing all of the errors on screen, the drone's video is fine, but the drone always acts like it is fighting wind when hovering - even with no wind.

The video issue was more pronounced in cold, and today it is 30 F degrees outside (about freezing) - not sure if cold effects this too, But I thought my old drone (even with bad video) hovered pretty solid - no movement, but it has been a month since I sent it in, so I am not sure if I am remembering correctly.

Does your mavic noticeably move around when hovering? Definitely noticeable when hovering (video slowly drifts back and forth, to and fro).

I believe they did an actually do this sort of thing as I'm in a similar boat they seem very unhonest An have had my drone for 45days for gimbal repair only to tell me that their waiting for China to send new units then they'll send me one??? New units ??? An when asked when this'll be they say they couldn't say lmao

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S