DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did I Have a Fly Away or Did the Drone Return to Home?

yellowtennies

Reactions
Prior to take off, got a confirmation that a Home Point was established. Flight was uneventful, approx 1/2 mile from home base. Altitude, less than 300ft. Video was recording. Location: take off from a frozen lake in west central MN. Suddenly loss camera image. Immediately hit the RTH button and swiped to confirm. Got 'going home' message. Waited for drone return but heard and saw nothing. Reviewed the map for flight tracking. It showed the flight track returning to home point. The red arrow shaped icon was less than 20 ft from the home point. The landing zone is a stark white barren, frozen lake. The drone is not to be found. Hard place to hide a dark grey object.
Does the red icon on the map confirm that the drone did in fact return to home point? Any thoughts or ideas might help me recover it. Thanks in advance.

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
Can you upload the flight log? The red arrow should be the drones last transmitted location.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Thanks for your rapid response. Let me see what I have to do to upload the flight log. I have not even seen it myself. Will it be located in my DJI Go app on my iPhone?

Thanks for your rapid response. Let me see what I have to do to upload the flight log. I have not even seen it myself. Will it be located in my DJI Go app on my iPhone?

Alternatively you can set up an account on HealthyDrones.com and download their app. It makes uploading quite simple. The first time setup is a bit tedious, but it's simple afterwards.

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

I was able to download both the flight logs and the video cache to my laptop. Thanks very much.
The flight records were saved/downloaded as Text Files and when I opened them from my laptop they were gibberish. Not readable.

The video files was recording the drones RTH 'going home' trip. Video stopped recording before it reached the home point, but it convinces me is was very near the home point. I will go to the spot were the video cut out and see if it is there. Given the red arrow icon representing the drone is right were the drone took of from, my guess it made a successful return flight. I just for the life of me can't figure out why I couldn't find the drone. I didn't hear it approach but there were many snowmobiles passing relatively close to the home point and it could have made the drones approach not hearable.
Any thoughts on why the flight records are gibberish and, more importantly where the drone could possible have gone?

Reactions: Jbaca07
I was able to download both the flight logs and the video cache to my laptop. Thanks very much.
The flight records were saved/downloaded as Text Files and when I opened them from my laptop they were gibberish. Not readable.

The video files was recording the drones RTH 'going home' trip. Video stopped recording before it reached the home point, but it convinces me is was very near the home point. I will go to the spot were the video cut out and see if it is there. Given the red arrow icon representing the drone is right were the drone took of from, my guess it made a successful return flight. I just for the life of me can't figure out why I couldn't find the drone. I didn't hear it approach but there were many snowmobiles passing relatively close to the home point and it could have made the drones approach not hearable.
Any thoughts on why the flight records are gibberish and, more importantly where the drone could possible have gone?

They tend to be that way. Best to upload them anyway. Try to upload to Healthy Drones as I mentioned above. It might be easier.

The flight log is encrypted. You can view it online if you follow the instructions in the link I posted above.

They tend to be that way. Best to upload them anyway. Try to upload to Healthy Drones as I mentioned above. It might be easier.

Thanks I will try it. I'm away from the computer until later tonight. Will let you know how it turns out. Do you recommend the HD feature on health drones? If so I'll download it before I start using the website. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks CyberPower, I was able to upload the flight logs to Healthy Drones. The flight track on the satellite map showed my Mavic returning to the home point, as it was designed to do.
They tend to be that way. Best to upload them anyway. Try to upload to Healthy Drones as I mentioned above. It might be easier. Based on this information it landed within 10 ft of me. I sure it did..., I just didn't see or hear it. Where it is..., a true mystery. That said the drone did what it was supposed to do. Now have the flight data convinces me of that. Can't ask anymore of its wonderful technology.

Just gonna order another one.

If not for your help I would not have gotten the flight data superimposed on the map. Many thanks again,
John

Thanks I will try it. I'm away from the computer until later tonight. Will let you know how it turns out. Do you recommend the HD feature on health drones? If so I'll download it before I start using the website. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks CyberPower, I was able to upload the flight logs to Healthy Drones. The flight track on the satellite map showed my Mavic returning to the home point, as it was designed to do.
Can you provide the link on to the flight data so we can see it too?

Reactions: Hesterj
Can you provide the link on to the flight data so we can see it too?
You bet. CyberPower. Would very much appreciate your and anyone else's assessment. Can I copy the web link to my flight log on Healthy Drones and paste it here? Is that how I do it?

Please also upload your TXT flight log to my log viewer above. Healthy Drones is not going to provide much useful data.

It's nice for troubleshooting flight logs :)

You can find an example here. You'll also see a Google map above the log.

No.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fara