DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did I Have a Fly Away or Did the Drone Return to Home?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyberpower678
Please also upload your TXT flight log to my log viewer above. Healthy Drones is not going to provide much useful data.

Thanks for your willing to help.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-15_[12-43-24].txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
I have not really studied these logs before.... but doesn't it indicate the last three minutes it flew away from you then auto landed due to critical low battery?

Also, if you hit the return to home AFTER you lost signal it was likely that it never received that command.

How is your lost signal command set up? You have three choices in the advanced settings:

1) Return home and land
2) Hover
3) Land

If you have it set to #2 or #3 above that would probably explain what happened.

Last edited:
Looks like it initiated auto landing at 20'15". It was 197.7m altitude and probably took 34 seconds to land whilst still going forward ( wind direction shows it was drifting in Atti mode whilst landing)
My money is on the end of the yellow line is where it landed. Good luck, I hope you find it.

Reactions: Cyberpower678
Just having a look at the sensor info - point (j)states it was at 157.5m altitude at 20'30" so was obviously in auto landing mode but my calcs suggest that total flight time of 20'51" so from 157.5m to 0m in 21 seconds is a decent speed of 7.5m per second ............. that's almost the same flight characteristics as a brick ! Not sure what will be left of the Mavic dude.

Just having a look at the sensor info - point (j)states it was at 157.5m altitude at 20'30" so was obviously in auto landing mode but my calcs suggest that total flight time of 20'51" so from 157.5m to 0m in 21 seconds is a decent speed of 7.5m per second ............. that's almost the same flight characteristics as a brick ! Not sure what will be left of the Mavic dude.

It looks like it landed in the woods so if that's the case, the tree may have broken the fall a bit. That it's stuck in one.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hopefully I did this correctly.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

looking forward to learning more about this data from those who review it.
There appears to be a 'dead end' track just north of the road. i don't know what
this is.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
It looks like you lost connection during the landing process. Analyzing the trajectory it had, and assuming it didn't lose power during landing, it looks to have landed around the coordinates 46° 2'10.91"N and 95°27'46.54"W. It appears to be an open field, so it should be fair easy to find.

I'm also seeing another concern that resulted in RTH failing. You took off without sufficient GPS strength to lock on the home point before take off. Consequently, the log doesn't indicate the home point was set on take off. I'm also seeing several compass errors in your compass subsystem. It looks like the RTH was trying to use the compass to come home, only that it wigged out midway through.

Reactions: willhay555
I'm also seeing another concern that resulted in RTH failing. You took off without sufficient GPS strength to lock on the home point before take off. Consequently, the log doesn't indicate the home point was set on take off. I'm also seeing several compass errors in your compass subsystem. It looks like the RTH was trying to use the compass to come home, only that it wigged out midway through.
As someone who's expecting a mavic on Monday, do you get confirmation of sufficient GPS and a lock on home point or is it easy to miss this?
Thanks.

Sent from my D6603 using MavicPilots mobile app

do you get confirmation of sufficient GPS and a lock on home point or is it easy to miss this?
If the volume is turned up on your mobile device, DJI GO will announce when the home point has been marked after starting the motors.

Reactions: willhay555
It looks like you lost connection during the landing process. Analyzing the trajectory it had, and assuming it didn't lose power during landing, it looks to have landed around the coordinates 46° 2'10.91"N and 95°27'46.54"W. It appears to be an open field, so it should be fair easy to find.

I have been out most of the morning looking for it. The area where the green line ends, is an open field of modest rolling hills. Raining for the last 12 hours so the snow cover is disappearing. The ground is covered with prairie weeds, clumps not more than 18" high.
I started the search by studing the flight lines from CyberPowers flight data, the one with the second by second flight data with the map above it. I then eyeballed the end of the green line in the field and marked what I thought was the end of the green line onto my Navionics navigation app I have on my iPhone. With CyberPower providing the actual coordinates, I am about to head out again to search for the drone.

I have been out most of the morning looking for it. The area where the green line ends, is an open field of modest rolling hills. Raining for the last 12 hours so the snow cover is disappearing. The ground is covered with prairie weeds, clumps not more than 18" high.
I started the search by studing the flight lines from CyberPowers flight data, the one with the second by second flight data with the map above it. I then eyeballed the end of the green line in the field and marked what I thought was the end of the green line onto my Navionics navigation app I have on my iPhone. With CyberPower providing the actual coordinates, I am about to head out again to search for the drone.
Keep in mind that these coordinates are an approximation I made through a rough analysis. Also, since it's been raining, you should let your Mavic dry out first before sticking in a fresh battery, else you may damage the Mavic by shorting out some components.

When you find it...and you will find it. I would probably use canned air to get the water out of the motors. That should be the only place that water causes an issue.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Keep in mind that these coordinates are an approximation I made through a rough analysis. Also, since it's been raining, you should let your Mavic dry out first before sticking in a fresh battery, else you may damage the Mavic by shorting out some components.[/QUOTE

To all of you who have helped me learn more about my drone, a sincere thanks.
I have benefited greatly from your knowledge and advice. I simply went to where you told me to look and found it, unscathed. None of the rotor were compromised.

I plan on reaching out to DJI directly, sharing the flight logs, to determine what caused the fly away.

Thanks again,
Yellowtennies

Attachments

• Lost and Found.JPG
    Lost and Found.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
I have some I use in photography. Will blow out the copper coils with the drone in the upside down position.

Reactions: m0j0
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato