DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did I Have a Fly Away or Did the Drone Return to Home?

The water here is approximately 22" thick. Took off and landed on Ice, no slush.
Easy flying, low and slow. RTH worked 4 out of 4 attempts. Only issue was losing GPS a number of times, with drone switching to ATTI mode every time it lost GPS signal. It flew wonky in ATTI. It wandered for a period of time, then hovered. That may have been when GPS contact was reestablished. Not sure as I didn't think about it while I was flying. Scary when you're fingers are not on the joy sticks and the darn thing is wandering. It makes me concerned because it happen several times during the flight. The drone was never higher than 100ft and a Max distance of 300 yds from me. No power lines, no metal of any kind at the Home Point or any where near it.
When I get home I will try to download the TXT of one of the short flights were it lost GPS several times. Maybe you and the others may be able to analyse the data.

The water here is approximately 22" thick. Took off and landed on Ice, no slush.
Easy flying, low and slow. RTH worked 4 out of 4 attempts. Only issue was losing GPS a number of times, with drone switching to ATTI mode every time it lost GPS signal. It flew wonky in ATTI. It wandered for a period of time, then hovered. That may have been when GPS contact was reestablished. Not sure as I didn't think about it while I was flying. Scary when you're fingers are not on the joy sticks and the darn thing is wandering. It makes me concerned because it happen several times during the flight. The drone was never higher than 100ft and a Max distance of 300 yds from me. No power lines, no metal of any kind at the Home Point or any where near it.
When I get home I will try to download the TXT of one of the short flights were it lost GPS several times. Maybe you and the others may be able to analyse the data.

Sure. Just upload the data again for us to look at. Glad to hear your Mavic is still in operation.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Here is the txt flight log from last of 4 flights yesterday. Lost GPS positioning and automatically switched into ATTI mode approx 5X.

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
So that's just one flight. Not four. Each flight is it's own log file. But for this flight, I'm seeing 7 GPS health drops. Consequently, no compass errors this time, which would suggest the compass simply had a calibration issue on your fly away flight.

Here is the txt flight log from last of 4 flights yesterday. Lost GPS positioning and automatically switched into ATTI mode approx 5X.

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
@yellowtennies I don't understand what you want. The analysis of your last flight included a prediction that your Mavic would continue to have these issues. Your description of this flight confirms that prediction. I could present my analysis of this flight but what would be the point? It's the same as the first flight. You didn't mention it but this flight also has an aborted RTH caused by the gpsHealth issue.

Would it be possible to get the .DAT from the first flight? It's a file on the Mavic itself, not the tablet. To see how to retrieve that file look here.

So that's just one flight. Not four. Each flight is it's own log file. But for this flight, I'm seeing 7 GPS health drops. Consequently, no compass errors this time, which would suggest the compass simply had a calibration issue on your fly away flight.

Should I recalibrate the compass and IMU just to be safe?

@yellowtennies I don't understand what you want. The analysis of your last flight included a prediction that your Mavic would continue to have these issues. Your description of this flight confirms that prediction. I could present my analysis of this flight but what would be the point? It's the same as the first flight. You didn't mention it but this flight also has an aborted RTH caused by the gpsHealth issue.

Would it be possible to get the .DAT from the first flight? It's a file on the Mavic itself, not the tablet. To see how to retrieve that file look here.

I will work to get the original 'fly away' flight data in the format you are suggesting. Thanks for your help in all of this.

I will work to get the original 'fly away' flight data in the format you are suggesting. Thanks for your help in all of this.

A man has got to know his limits..., I am not the brightest bulb in the box.
Once I figured out how to connect the drone to the computer and employ DJI Assistant 2 to download the Dat. file.., I felt like a true idiot for working on it for over 3 hours.
That said..., I've got the relevant dat. file for the 'fly away' event on my desktop. All I have to do now is figure how to get it here, to you. When I click on the 'upload a file' button below and browse my desktop..., the dat file doesn't appear on my desktop. It is there.., I just can't open it because it asks me for a software package that will open it. Apparently I don't have it loaded on my computer. What software or app should I download? Any suggestions?

A man has got to know his limits..., I am not the brightest bulb in the box.
Once I figured out how to connect the drone to the computer and employ DJI Assistant 2 to download the Dat. file.., I felt like a true idiot for working on it for over 3 hours.
That said..., I've got the relevant dat. file for the 'fly away' event on my desktop. All I have to do now is figure how to get it here, to you. When I click on the 'upload a file' button below and browse my desktop..., the dat file doesn't appear on my desktop. It is there.., I just can't open it because it asks me for a software package that will open it. Apparently I don't have it loaded on my computer. What software or app should I download? Any suggestions?
.DAT is not an "approved" file type for attaching to a post. Also, it's too large. Most pilots use Dropbox or GoogleDrive. After uploading it to either Dropbox or GoogleDrive use the link provided and copy it into a post here. We can then use that link to retrieve the .DAT file.

If Dropbox or GoogleDrive won't work for you there is another way. It involves downloading, installing, then running CsvView. Lemme know if you want to do that instead.

.DAT is not an "approved" file type for attaching to a post. Also, it's too large. Most pilots use Dropbox or GoogleDrive. After uploading it to either Dropbox or GoogleDrive use the link provided and copy it into a post here. We can then use that link to retrieve the .DAT file.

If Dropbox or GoogleDrive won't work for you there is another way. It involves downloading, installing, then running CsvView. Lemme know if you want to do that instead.

Got the DAT files loaded into DropBox. Clicked the 'upload a file' button below. Clicked on DropBox to click on the DAT file. It did not appear in DropBox, even though I can see it on my desktop in DropBox.
I will try the CsvView route.
Keep you posted.

Got the DAT files loaded into DropBox. Clicked the 'upload a file' button below. Clicked on DropBox to click on the DAT file. It did not appear in DropBox, even though I can see it on my desktop in DropBox.
I will try the CsvView route.
Keep you posted.
Let's continue with the Dropbox, you're almost there. You want to copy the link that Dropbox provides and then paste that into a post. Right mouse click the .DAT as it appears in your Dropbox folder. You should see "Copy Dropbox Link".Select that and then do a CTRL-V in a post here.

Should cause something like the following to appear.

Dropbox - DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-14_[23-58-15].txt

Huh, you're flight log ends mid flight on the Mavic. It's like it stopped recording.
That's because the Mavic stops writing the .DAT at 450 MB and starts a new one. The remainder of the flight will be in FLY022.DAT. I don't need FLY022.DAT for what I'm doing. If someone is interested to know more about the final moments (e.g. did it crash or auto land) then FLY022.DAT would be useful for that.

That's because the Mavic stops writing the .DAT at 450 MB and starts a new one. The remainder of the flight will be in FLY022.DAT. I don't need FLY022.DAT for what I'm doing. If someone is interested to know more about the final moments (e.g. did it crash or auto land) then FLY022.DAT would be useful for that.
I actually am interested. Great learning for me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots