DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Didn't think it would happen to me .......Crash

I'm going to try to call DJI first. If I can't get thru I'll try the online support for RMA. Anyone know what you send back? The Mavic alone or with the controller, charger, battery and prop....etc? Also what about the sd card and files from the DJI Go4 app?

I was flying in my front yard after clearing with small local airport. I flew the same boring path I usually fly several times my Mavic and dozens of times with my P3. I was strafing sideways down the street at about 5 feet and it abruptly flipped landing upside down. I checked it out and it had a few minor scratches. Didn't even break a prop. The only thing weird was the power was off on the Mavic. Probably from the upside down jolt. So I restarted it and a puff of smoke came out of the Mavic below the battery. I immediately took the batter out. I'm assuming my Mavic is dead. What should I do ?

That's a worrying instance of sudden death... How long have you had the Mavic? What's your flight time on it?

Had it about a month and a half. Flight time about an hour and a half. Most of that was on the ground going thu the menus.

One motor seizing up would flip the mavic upside dow, especially at wide open throttle. Sorry to hear about your loss.

I was flying sideways down the street 5 or 6 ft high at about 2 or 3 mph. It just stopped and suddenly flipped landing upside down. Didn't even break a prop.

Ok I might have figured out why it made the magic smoke. One motor is a little stiffer than the others. Must have fried the esc. That doesn't explain why it flipped in mid flight. Was it because the motor seized in flight or from landing upside down. The motor bell seems to turn true. Do you call or email DJI?

Each of the props are held on to the motors' locking hubs with three little tabs. On impact these can break off and you would not know it unless you physically removed the prop from the motor. When they break off, the can fly free of the motor, or they can fall into the motor windings and add friction between the rotor and stator. I've had an encounter with a wall where I had zero evidence of prop damage and only later discovered that one prop was missing a tab.

Each of the props are held on to the motors' locking hubs with three little tabs. On impact these can break off and you would not know it unless you physically removed the prop from the motor. When they break off, the can fly free of the motor, or they can fall into the motor windings and add friction between the rotor and stator. I've had an encounter with a wall where I had zero evidence of prop damage and only later discovered that one prop was missing a tab.
Nope the props were all fine. No broken tabs.

I was flying in my front yard after clearing with small local airport. I flew the same boring path I usually fly several times my Mavic and dozens of times with my P3. I was strafing sideways down the street at about 5 feet and it abruptly flipped landing upside down. I checked it out and it had a few minor scratches. Didn't even break a prop. The only thing weird was the power was off on the Mavic. Probably from the upside down jolt. So I restarted it and a puff of smoke came out of the Mavic below the battery. I immediately took the batter out. I'm assuming my Mavic is dead. What should I do ?
Im more interested to see what happened and why it " just flipped " because drone dont " just flip " ??! A flight log perhaps ?

The drone died mid flight. I can confirm that after going over the flight logs and watching that video. There's no doubt about, bad components in the circuit board.

Yikes. Obviously unacceptable and dangerous for a product like this to be in the wild. Hope DJI quality control is becoming more stringent.

Got my shipping label and it's packed up and read to ship to DJI tomorrow.

Keep us posted on how it goes with DJI, if they are going to accept this as a warranty claim and how long it is going to take to get you back in the air.

I had a mild crash yesterday too. Broke all four props, but other than that it's just fine. For some reason it started drifting and drifted right into a concrete building. Couldn't recover.

B-hole pucker moment!

Sorry to hear that but way different than my event. I had perfect control until it suddenly stopped and flipped upside down.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada