DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dimensions of Mavic and Landing Pad

Derf

Reactions
Anyone know the dimensions of the Mavic when opened for flight?
How big of a landing pad would be required and do you have any good suggestions?

How big of a landing pad would be required and do you have any good suggestions?

Can get them to you on Monday when I've got our demo unit in front me if no one else gets them to you by then. @Ed Windham, would you mind dropping the unfolded dimensions here when you get a chance?

Reactions: Derf
I think a safe size would be about the same as your car floor mat. That size should be sufficient. If u can get one in a pretty substantial material(so that it won't fly off in the wind) and it can fold in the middle via a hinge or something that would be a winner.

If you haven't seen the Hoodman Landing Pad, take a look. This is one of the best, if not the best (besides being overpriced) out there. Foldable material but is weighted around the outside so that it stays put and doesn't blow around with prop wash. Keep in mind that you need it to be completely stationary with whatever material you end up using.

HDLP1_1.jpg

From watching videos, it has the same span as the Phantom 3, and is a bit (maybe 50 mm) shorter

Here are the diameters for some commonly used landing pads:

Bestem Aerial = 30 inches
Hoodman 3 = 36 inches
PGY = 43 inches
Hoodman 5 = 60 inches

After reading the reviews for these landing pads, I found people are saying a 20 inch landing pad is just large enough for an aircraft the size of a Mavic. For landing in areas that have a lot of debris, people prefer landing pads that are closer to 40 inches+.

Last edited:
If you haven't seen the Hoodman Landing Pad, take a look. This is one of the best, if not the best (besides being overpriced) out there. Foldable material but is weighted around the outside so that it stays put and doesn't blow around with prop wash. Keep in mind that you need it to be completely stationary with whatever material you end up using.

HDLP1_1.jpg
WOW! $80 on Amazon, you weren't kidding over priced!

WOW! $80 on Amazon, you weren't kidding over priced!

Yes, was not kidding! I can definitely vouch for its high quality but there are definitely other cheaper options out there. Making your own is not too difficult. We do a lot of commercial work for golf courses and when we're shooting at sunrise a landing pad is a must. Lots of dew on the grass that gets blown onto the lens at takeoff. Also, use it when we're taking over from a sandy or dusty/dirty area. Again, its a must to keep the camera lens dry and clean and also prevent any debris from getting inside the motors.

I do have one that I made for my Phantom for much the same reasons, has flashing LED lights for night landings. But it is not conducive with the 'portability' factor of the Mavic, so its back to the drawing board. I have one of those 2 piece 'twist-N-fold' sunshades for the car that I might be able to do something with.

Reactions: Advexure
I do have one that I made for my Phantom for much the same reasons, has flashing LED lights for night landings. But it is not conducive with the 'portability' factor of the Mavic, so its back to the drawing board. I have one of those 2 piece 'twist-N-fold' sunshades for the car that I might be able to do something with.

Would love to see your one with flashing lights if you wouldn't mind sharing sometime. Sounds pretty neat!

Here you go.... There are 3 flash patterns.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Can see the issue with the portability aspect :(

Yes, was not kidding! I can definitely vouch for its high quality but there are definitely other cheaper options out there. Making your own is not too difficult. We do a lot of commercial work for golf courses and when we're shooting at sunrise a landing pad is a must. Lots of dew on the grass that gets blown onto the lens at takeoff. Also, use it when we're taking over from a sandy or dusty/dirty area. Again, its a must to keep the camera lens dry and clean and also prevent any debris from getting inside the motors.
Do you supply any landing pads? If so can you send me a link or anything about what you sell or provide?

Do you supply any landing pads? If so can you send me a link or anything about what you sell or provide?

We don't carry any landing pads as of now as the Hoodman is one of the only ones produced on a larger scale but as previously mentioned it's price point is simply too high. We've had a couple manufacturers out of China wanting us to carry their landing pads but quality simply was not there. We are asked about landing pads quite often so if we find one with the right quality and price point we will most definitely be carrying it.

I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DIHSZCC

It collapses down into a storage bag about 8" in diameter. I need something as portable as the Mavic. I've yet to test it, obviously, but I'm hoping that it's heavy enough to not blow away.
I just wanted to report back now that I have my Mavic: this product is the perfect size (24") for the Mavic and is heavy enough to not blow away in the rotor wash. Like I said, it collapses down to an 8" storage bag, which is ideal for packing along with the Mavic bag. I couldn't imagine needing anything more for my purposes, and it's very cheap yet well made.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DIHSZCC

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7