DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DISCONNECTED MAVIC... found on a street couple minutes later...

shame i would have liked to have seen it. msinger is probably righ,t he normally is to be honest, i would not go against that without evidence
I'm not going against msinger. Really appreciate the input from both of you. Now I just have to contact them (which I hear they have bad customer support).

It wouldn't hurt to contact DJI support for help. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they come to the same conclusion when you tell them the battery is missing.

I'm not going against msinger. Really appreciate the input from both of you. Now I just have to contact them (which I hear they have bad customer support).
Sorry my bad, i never meant to imply you did, i meant me lol i have seen these guys work wonders on drone logs, I am pretty much a novice here so when they write, i read and take note. That is not to say they can not get it wrong its just i have not known it in my time here.

This kind of new tech or old tech in a new way is sometimes very hard to get to grips with.

Unless a drone is up really high there is no way the battery can be too far from the drones crash site. Once the battery falls out the drone and battery will drop from the sky like a stone. There may be a slight difference in where they impact due to wind and the shape of the drone but that should only be enough to create a few feet of separation between the two.

If the ground is soft and grass is high I suggest the OP go back and look in a 10 foot radius from where he found the drone and he might find an impact point in the soft ground.

Rob

Unless a drone is up really high there is no way the battery can be too far from the drones crash site. Once the battery falls out the drone and battery will drop from the sky like a stone.
The Mavic was 253 feet in the air and traveling at 34.9 MPH. I doubt it dropped like a rock directly below where the battery disconnected.

The Mavic was 253 feet in the air and traveling at 34.9 MPH. I doubt it dropped like a rock directly below where the battery disconnected.
I agree that it might not be near the radius. I strongly believe there could have been a fault battery clamp. I shove that thing in there are hear 2 clicks. What I am worried about is they will blame it on me rather than look at their own products. They can only assume but no factual evidence that it was my fault.

They can only assume but no factual evidence that it was my fault.
And there lies the problem. This looks exactly like a case where someone did not secure the battery properly. Unfortunately, there is no way to know/prove what really happened.

Reactions: Kilrah
And there lies the problem. This looks exactly like a case where someone did not secure the battery properly. Unfortunately, there is no way to know/prove what really happened.
The only way it turns on is if you click it. Like I said, I tested it out 30 minutes ago. Unless someone else's does? Test it out and tell me how it works!

I'm able to turn mine on even when only one side or neither side is clicked in.

This is just piling on at this point, but 100% with msinger here. I haven't heard of a faulty battery clamp yet. They may be a little tough to click in, but when clicked in, hold the battery down to withstand all kinds of shocks and movements.

Forward velocity at the time of disconnection will remain the same for both. The Mavic greater surface area will slow it down more so the battery would go further forward. As to how the mavic behaved on the way down that's a whole different story. As I said if it's not up high it would be close but at 253ft there is probably a good 30-40ft of separation.

Upon reviewing my drone I just realized something. I put a battery in all the way, 2 clicks, and tried to wiggle the battery around. One side was actually coming out. I think that is a defect.

Forward velocity at the time of disconnection will remain the same for both. The Mavic greater surface area will slow it down more so the battery would go further forward. As to how the mavic behaved on the way down that's a whole different story. As I said if it's not up high it would be close but at 253ft there is probably a good 30-40ft of separation.

i would think that assumes the battery and Mavic disconnected and were going in the same direction which may not be the case there is every chance if the battery was locked one side it would flip out sideways. the smaller profile of the battery but heavy weight would drop the battery faster than the Mavic would slow and drop.

Also who knows if they were originally going in the same direction if the Mavic then turned after the loss, at 250 feet i think there is a good possibilty the Mavic would not have continued in a straight trajectory.

i can see it being a lot further than 30 or 40 feet

just my thinking of course

Clearly see it.
Gotta say mine does not do that, Also that makes sense to msinger i am sure, as to what happened.

What DJi might say is that happened because of the crash and was not the initial cause of the crash

Gotta say mine does not do that, Also that makes sense to msinger i am sure, as to what happened.

What DJi might say is that happened because of the crash and was not the initial cause of the crash
Right, they can seriously take one if they say that. I know the initial impact point is right on the front left leg. No way any center structural damage could have occurred, especially within the pocket of the battery holding area. But seriously must be a coincidence that one side doesn't stay in al the way and the battery fell out.

Reading the DAT log form the aircraft would possibly provide more detail, but it looks indeed like improperly locked battery. if you push the battery in only by pressing on the connector side in you can get contact to be made even if the locks are not engaged.
There is a sort of "snap" but not the lock's firm click. Result is what can be seen in your video above.

Of course a problem is that whatever failure to properly lock you see now may be due to deformation from the crash itself.
In a high speed crash from 250ft up even if an arm took the first hit the entire structure will have suffered.

i would think that assumes the battery and Mavic disconnected and were going in the same direction which may not be the case there is every chance if the battery was locked one side it would flip out sideways. the smaller profile of the battery but heavy weight would drop the battery faster than the Mavic would slow and drop.

Also who knows if they were originally going in the same direction if the Mavic then turned after the loss, at 250 feet i think there is a good possibilty the Mavic would not have continued in a straight trajectory.

i can see it being a lot further than 30 or 40 feet

just my thinking of course

They both would have to be going in the same direction. Even with a flip out to the side that would only put it inches to one side and moving forward at the same speed. The Mavic without the battery would lose speed much faster due to the surface area. The battery would fly forward like a stone. Yes the battery would hit the ground sooner but it would be much further forward than the mavic when it hits.

If it was my drone I would draw a line based on the flight log and figure out the exact direction it was going when the Mavic lost power. Then I would use the Mavics crash point as a start and continue forward on that line and the battery should be relatively close to either side of that line. The only rub is that from a 235ft fall I have serious doubts that the battery is still good.

Rob

Reactions: Gary cato
Reading the DAT log form the aircraft would possibly provide more detail, but it looks indeed like improperly locked battery. if you push the battery in only by pressing on the connector side in you can get contact to be made even if the locks are not engaged.
There is a sort of "snap" but not the lock's firm click. Result is what can be seen in your video above.

Of course a problem is that whatever failure to properly lock you see now may be due to deformation from the crash itself.
In a high speed crash from 250ft up even if an arm took the first hit the entire structure will have suffered.
Well if it was my fault or deformation from factory we don't know. I have no idea which way it will go. There is evidence on both sides.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00