DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY iPhone and iPad holder

spiderpig

Reactions
So when I started flying with my P3S I wanted to be able to use my iPhone and iPad with it. I found a good solution in using GoPro mounts and getting a holder for it. So I have two holders, one smaller one for iPhones and one bigger one for iPads.

Since the Mavic controller doesn't like my iPhone 7 with an otter box case on it, I've been using an old iPhone 6 I had. But I want to use my iPhone 7 so designed my own fix. Initially I was looking to buy one, but the review on amazon where horrible.

So I started with a piece of wood. And put a GoPro flat mount on it:
View media item 242
In order to ensure it would stay nice and tight, I used a clamp to hold it tight for an hour or two:

Figured I should paint it black to make it look cool. So I put painters tape on the GoPro mount and spray pained it:
View media item 244
I then tested it out with the iPhone mount:
View media item 245
Overall it was ok. I felt the iPhone got a little close and constricted the controls. So I reversed the connector to give me more clearance and that did the trick:

Tested it with iPad holder:

In theory it all works. Need to wait for nicer weather to test in the real world. Overall the cost would be less then 10 dollars total. My main concern with this solution is that I can't see the controller screen very well....but I guess I'll have to rely on the iOS device more then. Before I found it reassuring I could confirm what the DJI Go app was telling me on the controller...but I guess thats a small sacrifice.

Will report when I test it in flying conditions.

IMG_0025.PNG
Thank you for the inspiration! I think it looks great and yesterday I made my own. I already had a phone holders I wasn't using. Also I drilled some holes so I could attach a neck strap.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000