DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY Mavic Ipad Mount

Dvanhoose

Reactions
I don't like most of the ipad mounts on the market so I decided to make my own. I didn't want to block the display on the RC so I designed a simple mount with clear 1/4" acrylic. I made a simple drawing with Autocad and sent it to the laser cutter. 2 bends were made with my diy heat strip. The result is both displays are easy to see.

IMG_4541.JPG

IMG_4537.JPG

IMG_4538.JPG
IMG_4539.JPG

IMG_4540.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4544.JPG

I wouldn't precisely call this a Diy. Rather a home made mount...i for one don't have access to a laser cutter or heat strips...lol wish I did so I could make one like yours cause i would like to keep my display of my rc visible

I like your innovation. It is also very clean and looks like it is a commercially available system.

You and I have the same desire and I went through a couple ipad mounts that I found awkward to use and bulky. I also wanted something that folded small enough to fit in my Mavic bag and set up easily. My DYI did require cutting off the ears of the controller arms to open them up wide and then drilling two holes for mounting bolts. I like that you did no modification to your controller for possible resale value.

DSC04406s.jpg DSC04408s.jpg DSC04411s.jpg

e54baad7d8998c574cbb448b87519ced.jpg
c20c6e10976d9330227345e2d1abb5a9.jpg

I made my mount out of hard pine from the craft Store. $3.00 Required one saw cut and some glue.

I made my mount out of hard pine from the craft Store. $3.00 Required one saw cut and some glue.
How do you keep the iPad affixed? Is there a right angle shelf at the bootm. Not obvious in the pics. Looks simple an achievable though.

@Dvanhoose yours looks outstanding. Would buy one if I could, however DIY like @Islandguy27 is realistically where I will end up.

How do you keep the iPad affixed? Is there a right angle shelf at the bootm. Not obvious in the pics. Looks simple an achievable though.

@Dvanhoose yours looks outstanding. Would buy one if I could, however DIY like @Islandguy27 is realistically where I will end up.
You can use Velcro or in my case I don't use the iPad mini for anything else so I double sided taped it. Two pieces of pine. One a little smaller than the other. Fits the arms perfectly.

Hands on sticks block and "touch" conflict with touch screen? I have my mini above behind controller, wor k s well w/neckstrap.
Nicer production of hardware than mine!

5f2d01ca5b916c86ae2c0a5c20f39789.jpg

I went a slightly different route. After trying two different ipad mounts and not really liking either of them...either due to the RC display being blocked or the whole setup being too heavy in my hands...I picked up a cheap tablet mount for a tripod and attached it to my most portable tripod. I can fully extend the tripod legs and view the monitor or collapse the legs and use it on a tabletop while sitting down. Then I bought a 10' lightning cable and an iPad sunshade. It's a perfect setup for me and will work with any tripod.

a452295afb8ac4fd7b78d8fe259fc3ce.jpg

I don't like most of the ipad mounts on the market so I decided to make my own. I didn't want to block the display on the RC so I designed a simple mount with clear 1/4" acrylic. I made a simple drawing with Autocad and sent it to the laser cutter. 2 bends were made with my diy heat strip. The result is both displays are easy to see.

IMG_4541.JPG
Nicely done. However I believe in the KISS principle and chosen to use an iPad Mini 4 (Retina), which fits the RC perfectly with no mods required.

Very nice. I never could understand why the commercially available mounts cover the controller.

Reactions: Logger
@Dvanhoose you inspired me. I just had a crack at a DIY.

upload_2017-6-26_13-37-0.png
Neat from front. iPad Air 2.

upload_2017-6-26_13-38-6.png

Will tidy up the back with black fabric tape once the glue dries properly.

upload_2017-6-26_13-39-1.png

It is tiny (the perspective makes it look bigger here)
Recipe:
-MDF x 1
-Box conduit connector x 1. I trimmed it to |_| section. It was the only thing I did not have lying. Cost $1.50 at hardware.
-Rubber bands x 2 to hold iPad firmly in bracket
-Self adhesive vinyl bumpers x 2. Sit on iPad bezel.
-Fabic tape & Glue

Holds the iPad securely and looks like it will work just fine.

I would rather have your unit though :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000