DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY Mavic Ipad Mount

Took it for a spin. Worked fine. Would be better with a L lead lightning cable on the side of the iPad.But this is a common issue I guess.

Taped the back and it looks tidy enough for what I need.

upload_2017-6-26_18-28-18.png

I have read this thread with interest and, having investigated options a few months back for a way to more comfortably mount my iPad Mini on the MP Controller, I came across this....
Amazon.com: Drone Fans Mavic Pro Spark Remote Controller 7.9in 9.7in Tablet Support Bracket Tablet Clamp with Dual Rings Won't Block Screen: Toys & Games
So I bought one and it has made flying my Mavic much more enjoyable ! It is not too expensive, is easy to fit and adjust such that the balance is OK and comes with a neck strap that allows you to let go of the controller completely without finding somewhere to put it down.
I have used it many times now and it is still robust and effective.

Mike L:

This looks like a nice design but I have two questions.
1. How does this design prevent the ipad from sliding out by it's own weight?
2. They show pictures of the system without a USB cable attached and blocking the cable and the home button.. Does the bracket interfere with the port? Seems having a small opening in one of the brackets over the Lightning jack would solve both problems but not the home button. The picture shows the bracket blocking the home button and the Lightning connection. I suppose you you slide the ipad away a little off center it would also solve the button and connection but will the ipad slip out and fall easily?

Mike L:

This looks like a nice design but I have two questions.
1. How does this design prevent the ipad from sliding out by it's own weight? The two brackets grip the iPad very firmly - even after significant use. I have never experienced any movement of the iPad once I have positioned it as I require.
2. They show pictures of the system without a USB cable attached and blocking the cable and the home button.. Does the bracket interfere with the port? Seems having a small opening in one of the brackets over the Lightning jack would solve both problems but not the home button. The picture shows the bracket blocking the home button and the Lightning connection. I suppose you you slide the ipad away a little off center it would also solve the button and connection but will the ipad slip out and fall easily?
I use a lightning cable with 90 degree connector and the bracket does not interfere with it at all. The only requirement is that the bracket position on the iPad is either above or below (my preference) the lightning port on the iPad. You will need a longer cable - but you need that anyway if you are using an iPad. The brackets themselves slide into the controller arms and again, are a very snug / tight fit - so no slipping. I frequently carry the iPad as opposed to the controller and have never experienced any slippage.

Hope that clarifies - if not, please do come back to me.
Mike

Do these mounts make it difficult to hold and use the thumb sticks?

It's hard to tell without holding one in my hands! o_O

Thanks Mike for the quick answer. I will order one* as they are not all that expensive. I would like to find something that is better than my own DIY.

While mine is even more compact and easy to use, it does not adapt well to my sun shade and mine did require the controller arms to be modified. See post #5

I have two Mavic Pro's and one is not modified, so this will be a good test to see if I like this better even though it looks a little more bulky to pack in my gear bag.

* edit: Looks like it will have to wait since shipping time is over a month. Too bad!

Do these mounts make it difficult to hold and use the thumb sticks?

It's hard to tell without holding one in my hands! o_O

There is plenty of room to hold the controller by the arms and comfortably get your thumbs on the joysticks due to the inward curve of the brackets. It feels really comfortable and it is nice to have the weight taken by the neck strap.
It is raining here today - so no flying - but time to take a few photos which hopefully explain the words a bit better.......
IMG_0881.JPG IMG_0887.JPG IMG_0888.JPG IMG_0889.JPG IMG_0890.JPG

Reactions: Joely-Bird
Thanks Mike for the quick answer. I will order one* as they are not all that expensive. I would like to find something that is better than my own DIY.

While mine is even more compact and easy to use, it does not adapt well to my sun shade and mine did require the controller arms to be modified. See post #5

I have two Mavic Pro's and one is not modified, so this will be a good test to see if I like this better even though it looks a little more bulky to pack in my gear bag.

* edit: Looks like it will have to wait since shipping time is over a month. Too bad!

Don,
I had to wait for mine to be shipped to the UK - but it was definitely worth the wait !
Mike

Reactions: DonLandis
No rush here, but I will order when I get home from my road trip. Thanks for your pictures. It really looks like a good design that would suit me.

After several attempts (some sloppy, some not so much) I too decided that purchasing an I-Pad Mini 4 was the solution. No home-built mount, no store bought mount, just remove the plug guide on the left arm of the controller, and slide the I-Pad mini in. I did have to buy a special cable to connect without all of the extra length I didn't need, but I got a 3-pack on Amazon for next to nothing. Works great, no hassle with an adapter or holder of any sort.

After several attempts (some sloppy, some not so much) I too decided that purchasing an I-Pad Mini 4 was the solution. No home-built mount, no store bought mount, just remove the plug guide on the left arm of the controller, and slide the I-Pad mini in. I did have to buy a special cable to connect without all of the extra length I didn't need, but I got a 3-pack on Amazon for next to nothing. Works great, no hassle with an adapter or holder of any sort.
I used to fly with the iPad in the controller arms but, for me, the real benefit of these simple brackets is that it makes the controller and iPad much easier to handle and provides a much more comfortable balance to the kit. Throw in the neck strap, and it was a definite improvement as far as I was concerned. But I agree - it is not strictly necessary. As with many things, it is down to personal choice.

Mike- I made a slight modification to my bracket yesterday moving the strap up to the middle of the rig so it was better balanced. It now rides at the right angle and doesn't put strain on my arms. The location you have for the neck strap was my inspiration.

Still haven't found anything satisfactory for a sun shade, other than a simple ball cap that casts a shadow. Fortunately, my ipad air 2 is plenty bright and I can see it just good enough in bright Florida sun.

Reactions: Mike L
Mike- I made a slight modification to my bracket yesterday moving the strap up to the middle of the rig so it was better balanced. It now rides at the right angle and doesn't put strain on my arms. The location you have for the neck strap was my inspiration.

Still haven't found anything satisfactory for a sun shade, other than a simple ball cap that casts a shadow. Fortunately, my ipad air 2 is plenty bright and I can see it just good enough in bright Florida sun.
Great ! I hope that you enjoy your flying that bit more. I too am working on a shade - will let you know how it goes.... I am of course envious of Florida sunshine !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ