DIY mod for using a phone with case attached

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Help' started by gregw, Nov 24, 2016.

1. gregw

gregw Well-Known Member

I use a Rhinoshield Bumper Case for my Galaxy S7, and got tired of having to remove it from the case to fit it in the RC controller when I fly, so I made one small change to the arm of the controller by removing the bottom rubber piece on each arm so there was more clearance on the bottom.

With the bottom rubber removed, my S7 with the bumper case fits perfectly within the arm. Just FYI, the thickness of the case on each end of the phone is around 10mm.. You will need to use a T6 Torx screw driver to remove the screws before pulling out the rubber piece.. I found that I needed to remove all 3 screws and remove both rubber pieces together before re-attaching the upper piece back on the arm.

20161125_114057.jpg

BTW, the Rhinoshield bumpers are incredible, and really protect your phone.. See this video:

#1 gregw, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    Alex Baxter, dam and msinger like this.
  2. Alex Baxter

Alex Baxter Well-Known Member

Smart move, I'll do that for my Nexus X, that'll make it the perfect controller/phone combo for me.

3. dgreno

dgreno Member

Very nice. I removed the three screws and yanked on the rubber piece but nothing budged. What am I missing?

4. dgreno

dgreno Member

Never mind. Figured it out... just put my finger in the opening and pulled away firmly. Thanks for a great mod. Allowed me to put my iPhone 6 with Apple SmartBattery case in easily!

5. Alex Baxter

Well, it took quite considerable force, but I've removed the (upper) grips and now my Nexus fits perfectly, thank you @gregw for the suggestion. It seemed that every time I took my Nexus out of the silicon case, I dropped it, they're slippery little suckers, smartphones...

scooot likes this.
  6. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

I'll do this too (Samsung S5)
    I think you can safely leave that slider thing out of the arm and it will be much easier to attach the even more recessed plug with the case on.
    In another thread I've seen some suspicion voiced that it damages the short cable, and doesn't really do much apart from help keep it in place when not in use.

7. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

They are on a sort of track, just slide them out lengthways, no sign of anything sticky.
    You have to take both out initially because they lock together with teeth.
    Fairly simple ten minute mod if you have a T6 Torx

8. Alex Baxter

Exactly, they are dovetailed in, just as you can see in the photos gregw supplied, the right hand side came out readily enough, but the left was a little sod to get out..