DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY Sun hood for lens on Mavic

Someone needs a dremel with a cut off wheel! LOL. Also masking the front and spraying the rear would have left a nice plastic gloss on the surface as viewed from the outside.

Thinking outside of the box for an awesome solution!

Reactions: Eyeinthesky33
Wow, would this be advisable to use under any lighting condition. Would it mess with airflow?

It could actually assist with supercharging the air moving from the front of the Mavic Pro in flight and moving forward. Like a nozzle. Remains to be seen though.

Heatsinks are on the bottom of the Mavic Pro and there is an internal fan so I would wager for any airflow lost (if there is any) that the fan could compensate to a degree. To test a good way would be to fly without it and peg the forward throttle in sports mode for a specific duration of time. Then immediately fly in and point a no touch IR thermometer at various spots on the undercarriage and record the results. Then add the "hood" and perform the same routine. Compare the heat differential.

Reactions: Eyeinthesky33
It could actually assist with supercharging the air moving from the front of the Mavic Pro in flight and moving forward. Like a nozzle. Remains to be seen though.

Heatsinks are on the bottom of the Mavic Pro and there is an internal fan so I would wager for any airflow lost (if there is any) that the fan could compensate to a degree. To test a good way would be to fly without it and peg the forward throttle in sports mode for a specific duration of time. Then immediately fly in and point a no touch IR thermometer at various spots on the undercarriage and record the results. Then add the "hood" and perform the same routine. Compare the heat differential.
Whoever has the resources should do this! Would definitely do it there is no airflow issues

If you plan on using the 30 degree gimbal tilt I would cut a lot more off the top. Peters one will also be no good in Sports mode unfortunately (it will be in the frame) due to the tilt of the Mavic but then again you will not be doing any cinematic footage in sports more anyway lol. I would bet there will be some on eBay within a few weeks.

Ya this idea is absolutely superb. Something I was thinking of doing but didn't know if cutting the plastic would ruin its integrity to a degree where it's unusable. Seeing this video today it seems like a viable solution to our problems and not to mention a cost effective solution or what I like to call OEM PLUS. Hopefully if I get my Mavic before the end of this year I'll make a video and post my thoughts!

Someone needs a dremel with a cut off wheel! LOL. Also masking the front and spraying the rear would have left a nice plastic gloss on the surface as viewed from the outside.

Thinking outside of the box for an awesome solution!

You are right, we used to spray the inside of our glider canopies so it was glossy outside.... but in this case I think the matte finish goes better with the Mavic IMO :)...

Fantastic idea and really good execution. Look professionally made.

What if you didn't cut it at all but simply masked off the area that would be visible by the camera and then paint the rest black.....other than the occasional glare from the sun, wouldn't this have the same effect? I like the idea of the open gimbal cover for fair weather flying but like the fully encapsulated cover for those days where you may encounter some moisture or just feel the need for the added protection and when you really don't plan on taking video or photos but still want ot get some flight time in...

Just ordered a spare cover from eBay for $11 also, going to do this as it seems a great mod, and besides, I fly in the desert a lot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+