DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI App issues & Tablet Recommendations

Reactions
I'm looking for a little advice on an issue I've had multiple times with the DJI App and my smartphone. I have a Motorola Droid Turbo 2 phone running on Verizon service. I have had multiple incidents where the app completely shuts down on my phone. A quick click and the app is back up and running. It connects right away again. In general, I don't have any other issues with the phone. Needless to say, when the app shuts down I go into panic mode. I'm still fairly new to drone flying so I don't venture out too far. But this past weekend I was far enough away and the app shut down. Kinda spooked me a bit! I'm not sure I want to go much further away until I have a resolution to this issue. I have deleted and reloaded the app a couple times with no changes. I'm at a loss. I am interested in stepping up to a tablet in order to better see what images/video I'm capturing. Correct me if I'm wrong, it appears that the ipad mini 4 will fit into the standard controller? I would prefer to not cover up the remote screen whatsoever. Any suggestions for a table that would work would be greatly appreciated! I also want to find a resolution to the phone issue as I'm sure there will still be times I don't want to run with a tablet.

Don't mean to tag on to your thread but I'm brand new here. I just ordered my Mavic Pro 10 minutes ago and I'll have it by this weekend. I'm a little unclear on what device (phone/tablet) I should be using. I've been reading reviews but haven't really found an answer. Does the device need to have cellular or can it just be a wifi device? The reason I ask is that I have a Samsung Tab S2 (7.9") but it is wifi only. I understand I'd need a tablet mount but wasn't sure if it would even work since it does not have cellular. I also have a Samsung S6 Edge but reading that the new Android app is very unstable. I'm certainly open to purchasing a device specifically for the Mavic Pro but would like to know exactly what I should be using such as a device with cellular or is wifi only ok?

Thanks for any advice.

I'm a little unclear on what device (phone/tablet) I should be using.
You can find a list of devices supported by DJI and other commonly used devices here.

Does the device need to have cellular or can it just be a wifi device?
A cellular connection is not needed to fly. You only need a cellular connection if you'd like to do things that require connecting to the Internet (e.g. downloading maps in real-time).

I'm looking for a little advice on an issue I've had multiple times with the DJI App and my smartphone. I have a Motorola Droid Turbo 2 phone running on Verizon service. I have had multiple incidents where the app completely shuts down on my phone. A quick click and the app is back up and running. It connects right away again. In general, I don't have any other issues with the phone. Needless to say, when the app shuts down I go into panic mode. I'm still fairly new to drone flying so I don't venture out too far. But this past weekend I was far enough away and the app shut down. Kinda spooked me a bit! I'm not sure I want to go much further away until I have a resolution to this issue. I have deleted and reloaded the app a couple times with no changes. I'm at a loss. I am interested in stepping up to a tablet in order to better see what images/video I'm capturing. Correct me if I'm wrong, it appears that the ipad mini 4 will fit into the standard controller? I would prefer to not cover up the remote screen whatsoever. Any suggestions for a table that would work would be greatly appreciated! I also want to find a resolution to the phone issue as I'm sure there will still be times I don't want to run with a tablet.
The iPad mini 4 is a great choice, I will probably be purchasing one soon.
Regards,
-d.

Mavic Help - Thanks for your reply. I already went on your site and ordered the leg extenders, SD card and tablet mount. Great info there.

I have a Tab S2 (wifi only) and I'm wondering if that will work fine rather than spending $400 on an iPad mini 4. From what I've read, the app seems more stable on iOS. Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought there was more that the cellular service would provide other than maps. If that's the only thing, it may not be worth $400.

From what I've read, the app seems more stable on iOS.
Apple devices usually work better right out of the box since they aren't highly configurable like Android devices. In this case, being in a more locked down environment like iOS is quite the benefit for people who aren't into tinkering with their devices.

I thought there was more that the cellular service would provide other than maps. If that's the only thing, it may not be worth $400.
You could also do things like sync your flight logs and stream live flights to Facebook/YouTube. The maps are the most commonly used feature that requires an Internet connection. If you're like me and prefer to watch the live view in DJI GO instead, then having the maps isn't much of a benefit.

Unfortunately the iPad 1 doesn't work so I have to use my iPhone 6. But I would love a bigger screen.

As I mentioned, I just ordered the Mavic Pro and I'm going to have quite the learning curve since this will be my first experience with a drone. I have a couple of the Samsung tablets so I'm going to try that first. Hoping to maybe meet up with some local people and get some pointers once it arrives.

I picked up a Ipad 4 mini yesterday. Like others have said it just fits in. At first I didn't think it would go. You have to remove the slider on the left side of the controller. I'm looking forward to giving it a go and see the difference in the Ipad running the Go 4 app. Along with the larger viewing screen. I also purchased a right angle adapter and anti-glare screen protector from Amazon. Now if the rain here in Iowa would just stop......

I picked up a Ipad 4 mini yesterday. Like others have said it just fits in. At first I didn't think it would go. You have to remove the slider on the left side of the controller. I'm looking forward to giving it a go and see the difference in the Ipad running the Go 4 app. Along with the larger viewing screen. I also purchased a right angle adapter and anti-glare screen protector from Amazon. Now if the rain here in Iowa would just stop......
Can not wait to hear how you like it, I am leaning that way also.
Regards,
-d.

A few parts showed up yesterday to make the conversion to the mini 4. After installing a tempered glass, anti-glare screen protector I started to fit the mini 4 to the Mavic controller. You have to remove the "slider" from the left arm in order for the mini to fit. Once removed the mini 4 fits perfectly. At first I didn't think it would fit but it sits pretty nicely once connected. I also purchased a right angle lightening cable to complete the connection. Happy I did! Looking forward to getting some flights in this weekend to test how it all works. The only thing I noticed is that when the mini 4 is installed the right arm sits very close to the Sport mode switch. It's all fairly solid so I'm hoping there won't be any issues inadvertently switching to Sport mode. Few pics below.

IMG_20170406_223551205_zpsqdhrf4kv.jpg

IMG_20170406_223801214_zpsdp74kyhw.jpg

IMG_20170406_223912794_zpsudnetdas.jpg

Reactions: Mavicjon999
A few parts showed up yesterday to make the conversion to the mini 4. After installing a tempered glass, anti-glare screen protector I started to fit the mini 4 to the Mavic controller. You have to remove the "slider" from the left arm in order for the mini to fit. Once removed the mini 4 fits perfectly. At first I didn't think it would fit but it sits pretty nicely once connected. I also purchased a right angle lightening cable to complete the connection. Happy I did! Looking forward to getting some flights in this weekend to test how it all works. The only thing I noticed is that when the mini 4 is installed the right arm sits very close to the Sport mode switch. It's all fairly solid so I'm hoping there won't be any issues inadvertently switching to Sport mode. Few pics below.

IMG_20170406_223551205_zpsqdhrf4kv.jpg

IMG_20170406_223801214_zpsdp74kyhw.jpg

IMG_20170406_223912794_zpsudnetdas.jpg

You can "disable" the sports mode switch from the go 4 app. :)

That looks like a great setup. Thanks for sharing. I just received my Mavic last night and I've been on the fence about getting an ipad. I used my Galaxy S6 last night and the app crashed twice in about 15 minutes. Let me know how the ipad works out for you and maybe I'll go that way also. Is your Ipad wifi only or cellular?

I'm pretty much a newbie compared to the seasoned pilots here.
I've just recently got my MP, so I've just taken her up a couple of times in beginner mode.
Generally no dramas, but yesterday I started getting a pixetated which eventuality turned into a blank screen..or as good as.
I have enough experience to have flown it back and land it from my landing mat just using the controller. But.. it was a bit of a worry to have had the phone screen crash.
If the MP was a lot further out than 30m what would you suggest be the best protocol for that situation? Can the phone be rebooted.. and if so would it reconnect?
I'm aware that this can happen with Galaxy S7, but I read somewhere that DJI said thst they bave pretty much resolved this issue.
Finally, is it recommended that all other apps on the phone be disabled?
Thanks.

I'm pretty much a newbie compared to the seasoned pilots here.
I've just recently got my MP, so I've just taken her up a couple of times in beginner mode.
Generally no dramas, but yesterday I started getting a pixetated which eventuality turned into a blank screen..or as good as.
I have enough experience to have flown it back and land it from my landing mat just using the controller. But.. it was a bit of a worry to have had the phone screen crash.
If the MP was a lot further out than 30m what would you suggest be the best protocol for that situation? Can the phone be rebooted.. and if so would it reconnect?
I'm aware that this can happen with Galaxy S7, but I read somewhere that DJI said thst they bave pretty much resolved this issue.
Finally, is it recommended that all other apps on the phone be disabled?
Thanks.
Disable or hibernate anything you can, the less stress on the phone the better, airplane mode is a good option.

Reactions: Sjez
After getting a few flights in with the new mini 4, I have to say I'm pretty happy. Much larger viewing screen, which should help when trying to capture great images. I had no issues whatsoever running the DJI Go app on the ipad. Worked flawless! The ipad I purchased does have a cellular connection with Verizon. So far, I'd highly suggest this setup.

Reactions: Fitzsy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent