DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Care Refresh. Is it for you???

MGrosvold

Reactions
Just curious as to how many are going to spring for the extra $100 to get a year's worth of insurance. This will be my first drone. I've read there are 2 kinds of drone pilots: those that have crashed and those that will. But.... as the Mavic is seemingly so easy to control, has collision avoidance and auto TO/landing I'm kind of wondering if insurance wouldn't be a waste of $100.

What are your thoughts??

If this is your first drone and you can afford more $100, it makes a lot of sense to buy it.

There are a lot of situations where you can crash your drone. Sensors do not prevent all colisions.
For instances is important to consider speed, so colision could be avoided.
Also, this is a new drone and can be expected for some bugs to appear ...

I'm leaning towards Neary Aerial Insurance. It covers water damage and can be extended to two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldn't call it insurance. If it's stolen or you lose it in air or land, you're out of luck. Unless you are a total newbie who has never picked up an RC controller, I think it's a rip off.

Just curious as to how many are going to spring for the extra $100 to get a year's worth of insurance. This will be my first drone. I've read there are 2 kinds of drone pilots: those that have crashed and those that will. But.... as the Mavic is seemingly so easy to control, has collision avoidance and auto TO/landing I'm kind of wondering if insurance wouldn't be a waste of $100.

What are your thoughts??
Totally worth it for a newbie or a pro who pushes the Mavic envelope.
Can you say "Sport Mode"

Welcome to an awesome time, great hobby, and helpful community.
Bill

Reactions: PalmettoAerial
75%+ of all of our Mavic pre-orders have purchased DJI Care Refresh with their pre-orders. DJI Care has also been very popular on Phantom 4 units as well. Care on Osmo units not so much.

With the Mavic if you're new to the hobby, $178 ($99 for the DJI Care + $79 for your first replacement) to replace your Mavic after the first accidental makes complete sense. Use it a second for an additional $129? Makes complete sense.

Not necessary for all but a great option to have for those just starting to get their feet wet in drones. More discussion on DJI Care Refresh for the Mavic here: DJI Care Refresh

Reactions: Derf
If you are a brand new or inexperienced pilot DJI Care makes sense. $99 up front + $79 for a first replacement & $129 for a second. Peace of mind keeping the following in mind:

DJI care does not cover lost or water-damaged aircraft. You have to recover the bird. It covers the aircraft only.

For experienced pilots the basic 1-year warranty is probably sufficient.

What are your thoughts??

DJI has obviously calculated that they will collect more than they will payout. So on average it probably costs each person more than it benefits them. If you would have financial difficulty replacing your drone if you did crash it, maybe it's worth the peace of mind to get the coverage. But if you are fairly careful with your equipment and can afford to buy a replacement if something does go wrong, it's probably not worth it.

DJI has obviously calculated that they will collect more than they will payout. So on average it probably costs each person more than it benefits them. If you would have financial difficulty replacing your drone if you did crash it, maybe it's worth the peace of mind to get the coverage. But if you are fairly careful with your equipment and can afford to buy a replacement if something does go wrong, it's probably not worth it.

You are exactly correct, couldn't have said it better TU

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
Does the Refresh actually cover crashes? I thought it was just quality issues?

If it covers crashes then I'll probably get it so I don't have to worry too much if I let a friend try piloting.

Does the Refresh actually cover crashes? I thought it was just quality issues?

If it covers crashes then I'll probably get it so I don't have to worry too much if I let a friend try piloting.

DJI Care Refresh for Mavic covers the following:
Scenarios.jpeg

Reactions: Derf and Dukatu
Looks like Neary uses this shop for repairs:
UAV Repair

They offer their own insurance which looks similar - I plan to find out what it costs. By luck they're about five minutes away from me.

Looks like Neary uses this shop for repairs:
UAV Repair

They offer their own insurance which looks similar - I plan to find out what it costs. By luck they're about five minutes away from me.

I went that route too. It's on their website. More expensive than Neary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ah, yeah, and with a higher deductible & longer blackout. I didn't realize @ Neary you can get the whole two years and save a bit, breaks down to $140/yr..not bad.

Neary is $189 for one year. the only advantage is the cover water damage, however good luck retreiving your drone is it crashes into t a body f water. Note: Neary is basically a company out of a guys house in KY, Insurance like this is a calculated risk for the insurer. I know DJI will be around in a year you never know with a company like Neary where are damages cost them retail a flury of claims could potential put a 3rd party insurer out of business.

Ah, yeah, and with a higher deductible & longer blackout. I didn't realize @ Neary you can get the whole two years and save a bit, breaks down to $140/yr..not bad.

You can buy coverage 1 year at a time and save with no claims on year two. There are ways potentially to recover a drone in the water. Just need to figure out how to mount on the Mavic. Refresh is only good for one year and there is a deductible for each claim.

Yes but you can buy one year at a time. Second year is 50% of first. I think the discount for no crashes was on previous policies. He is BBB accredited which isn't worth much but he's trying and has favorable responses from his customers. It's roughly a wash in year one if you have a claim with Refresh. Nice to have water coverage and the option for a second year. Yes, there's risks but DJI isn't historically known for their outstanding customer service. That said, I'd likely buy the DJI option with water coverage if that had it.

You can buy DJI 1st year then buy Neary for following years as Neary does not appear to require the drone to be New. DJI is only more if you use it since it is $100 plus $79 deductablle. If Neary had a lower price with a deductable I would consider it, but they want you to pay the deductable up front even if you do not need it.Remember the Drone it self only cost $799 Today (probably less $200 likely a year from now) and $280 (36%) is a very high percentage of cost.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS